Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mike Wallace (WR)2nd 3 round pick

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Mike Wallace (WR)2nd 3 round pick

Few attributes attract NFL scouts more than pure speed. Wallace certainly has that. Despite starting three years for the Rebels, he didn't establish himself as one capable of taking advantage of his speed until he averaged 18.9 yards on 38 receptions as a junior. A year later, Wallace's speed was even more lethal, as he averaged 20.1 yards per reception and scored a career-high seven touchdowns.

Wallace is still a work in progress as a route-runner, but his ability to stretch defenses deep as an outside receiver and special teams wide on kickoff returns could land him a second-day draft selection from an NFL team looking to catch lightning in a bottle. Had an arm span of 31 3/8 inches and a hand span of 9 inches at the combine.

Analysis Positives: Looks the part. Athletic build with room for additional mass. Rare straight-line speed. Eats up the cushion quickly and can blow by the defender. Smooth acceleration and has a late burst to pull away if being challenged. Can track the ball over his shoulder. Developing into a more reliable route-runner and pass-catcher. Has the foot quickness and balance to be a good route-runner and can sink his hips. Generally uses his hands to make the reception, though he still allows too many into his pads. Has some lateral agility to make defenders miss. Helped himself with a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Still a work in progress as a route-runner. Learning to sink his hips and explode out of his cuts, as he has to gather himself too much. Struggles a bit against press coverage. Has to use his hands better to gain a quick release. Lets too many passes into his pads, resulting in some ugly drops. Doesn't consistently show the vision and elusiveness in the open field to truly capitalize on his pure speed. Needs an open lane as a returner to break off a big gain.
    Last edited by Captcoolhand; 04-26-2009 at 11:23 AM.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Another burner to stretch the field like Nate Washington...can this guy return kicks?

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

My Mood
    texans-hater
    Looks like a good pick to groom and compete for a 4th wide receiver spot this season and hopefully help on kickoffs and returns...The Steelers need more speed at receiver and this pick definitely doesnt hurt...

its still kinda a head scratcher, i thought they would go mike thomas

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Wallace will be looked to fill Nate Washington's role in the offense and he can also return kicks......

My Mood
    texans-hater
    They just showed him at the combine on the NFL channel and in game action the last few seasons...The guy is flat out fast and will be a very legit deep threat if he develops...He is a perfect slot 3rd or 4th wide receiver looks good...

Tailgate Coordinator

Mike Wallace, 2nd 3rd round pick

Mike Wallace, WR Mizz.. Supposedly very fast.

I'm A "Champion"

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    They just showed him at the combine on the NFL channel and in game action the last few seasons...The guy is flat out fast and will be a very legit deep threat if he develops...He is a perfect slot 3rd or 4th wide receiver looks good...
    Plus WR/RS were starting to come off the board...Williams and Brandon Tate were picked right before the Steelers pick....I like Wallace but I had him going in the 4th round....I'm excited what this kid brings to the table and Wallace does give Ben another weapon......Plus Wallace will upgrade our kick returns.....I thought the Steelers might go with Mike Thomas......But I'm happy with Wallace.....

Awaiting Seven...
    This guy can flat out fly, he will be a home-run threat whenever he gets in open space.

9 of 33 catches went for over 40 yards. very raw though, kind of a reach

Thread Information