Thread: 3rd Rnd (96 Overall) Keenan Lewis CB

Bookmark and Share

3rd Rnd (96 Overall) Keenan Lewis CB

NFL.com

Overview

After two seasons of battling injuries, Lewis had a healthy senior campaign, establishing himself as one of the most physical cornerbacks in the West. His work ethic and team-first attitude saw him perform at a level that has professional scouts feeling that he will quickly emerge as one of the National Football League's elite pass defenders.

Lewis not only excelled on the football field, but also received recognition for his success in the classroom, earning Academic All-Pac 10 Conference honors as a senior. That undoubtedly pleased his mother, Muriel, a teacher at Martin Behrman Elementary School.

Lewis, along with teammate Dennis Christopher, was recruited to Oregon State by former Beavers assistant and New Orleans native Charlie Camp. His family was displaced to Natchitoches for six months because of Hurricane Katrina. Their home sustained significant wind damage but fortunately did not flood in the storm, he said. Still, Lewis said he'd like nothing more than to be in a position to support his family one day.

"I definitely want to help my mom out," he said. "That would be a dream. But to have an opportunity to play for any team and just make it (in the NFL), that's what I'm trying to accomplish right now."

And while he loved his days at Oregon State, Lewis said he hopes his professional playing career will prove less geographically challenging for his family and friends. "I definitely hope that one day I'll be able to come back and play for New Orleans," said Lewis, who interviewed with Saints scouts at the NFL Combine. "I hope they bring me home."

At O. Perry Walker High School, Lewis was rated as one of the top 100 cornerback prospects in the country by Rivals.com. The first-team All-Metro and All-League choice as a senior, he made 75 tackles with four sacks and seven interceptions. He also returned five punts for 180 yards and five kickoffs for 150 yards in 2003.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Analysis Positives: Rare height for the position. ... Aggressive at the line of scrimmage. ... At his best in press coverage where he can get his long arms on the receiver and disrupt the timing of the passing game. ... Good foot quickness to turn and run with the receiver. ... Plants, drives and closes quickly. ... Gets his hands on lot of passes. ... Has the experience and intelligence to operate well in zone coverage. ... Enjoyed a solid week of practice at the Senior Bowl.

Negatives: Questionable deep speed. ... Lacks the soft hands for the interception. ... Misjudges passes and allows too many to get into his chest. ... Generally a reliable open-field tackler, but likes to duck his head and swipe, leading to some missed tackles. ... Can get a bit grabby downfield, which will lead to pass interference calls at the next level. ... Willing in run support, but was protected by a physical and experienced front seven, and prefers to stand around the pile, rather than throw his body into it.
    seems to be a wasted pick.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I remember some saying that when this team drafted William Gay and I liked the Gay pick......Coach Tomlin and Coach LeBeau can mold this guy into a player....I think both of them know something about DB's......

Quote Originally Posted by Captcoolhand View Post
    seems to be a wasted pick.....
    this is a pattern this year

keenan lewis is big and slow, he will probably play FS....head scratcher again. DJ moore was there, hes short but the dude can ball. coye francies was there, actually there was a bunch of corners better than keenan lewis
    Last edited by K Train; 04-26-2009 at 12:20 PM.

Awaiting Seven...
    I think Lewis can be effectective for the Steelers' secondary. He has good size and quickness, but he has to stay healthy.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Keenan Lewis CB/Oregon St.

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Addicted

Miami Birthed Livin in Tampa Rep 305 All Day
    First pick im actually upset bout more then other there were def better db on board at this point.

Pretty sure he will have to move to safety. Tough kid though.

Thread Information