Thread: Using younger players..may not be a viable alternative right now.

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Using younger players..may not be a viable alternative right now.

Whenever a team is playing this bad one of the first things the fans, and the media think of is..let's try someone else and give a younger guy a shot.

The problem with that thinking is this..the Steelers rotate virtually every player we have into the game at different intervals to give the starters a rest. The DL rotates every few series with the backups. The WR's all get to play at some point in a game. Najeh is beginning to spell Willie alittle more. The LB's, when we have enough of them healthy, rotate in and out atleast on the outside, Rian Wallace was starting to get alittle more time, the DB's are constantly shuffling in and out in the nickle and dime packages. The only real positions where we don't rotate players in and out is the OL and QB positions. You can't very well shuffle those too because of how important it is that they function as a unit and work together.

So basically what Im saying is, we are pretty much stuck with the players we have as starters. They are our best option to win each week. Sure you consider using Anthony Smith at safety but Troy and Ryan have been playing well for the most part. McFadden is an option we should definately be using at CB now since Deshea is struggling so much. As far as the OL goes, Chris K has been getting more time in place of Kendall and Okobi is already in for Hartings so our viable depth is beginning to get depleted a bit. Holmes was finally pulled from returns and BC went with a committee of Najeh, Ike, & Cedric on sunday..until Reid gets healthy we'll probably see that continue.

This team is struggling as much when other players are in as well as when the regulars are in. There's no real alternative that we that can solve any major issue except for the starters and backups to just flat out excecute the plays and stop turning the ball over.

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    I agree with you TG its not going to solve any of the Steelers problems. As you said were utilizing guys that dont play as much as much as we can guys like Okobi,Chris K, Najeh, etc. As you said until Willie Reid comes back you have no choice but to use punt return by committee which means using Ike,Cedric,Najeh, and hell as I mentioned in my other posts even Hines. At least his hands are pretty sure and he wont fumble on every punt return like Holmes has been doing. I do agree McFadden at this point needs to be starting over Deshea. He is the better cover corner at this point and needs to be in there more so then Deshea who has just been getting killed all year. But the bottom line is this until this team can stop fumbling and turning the ball over early on in these games and in the red zone every single week they will continue to lose every week and might finish at 2-14. These turnovers every week now are really getting to the point of becoming disturbing. It somehow,someway has GOT to stop and stop starting this week against the Saints or Im afraid this season can really take a turn for the worst.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Big difference the younger guys are not getting paid as much as the starters and yes the younger do play some. But they don't get as much snaps as the starters. At this point what would it hurt to start Anthony Smith as FS. Find out if this guy is a player. Now I know 8 games won't determine if Smith is going to be a good NFL player in the long run. But it would give the Steelers a look to see if he is worth keeping and developing. So they don't spend another pick on a safety.

As for Wallace I think he should play for Farrior. I think James Farrior is slowing down. Farrior is in early 30's now. I don't even want to talk about the right side of the Oline. That right side looks like the Cards Oline.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Farrior leads the team in tackles, has 2 sacks and an INT. I think we have far more problems to deal with than taking out one of our most reliable starters.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The only problem I see with starting Anthony Smith right now with 8 games left is that from what the team has talked about with him so far he seems to be doing a great job in practice and special teams so I think we've got a winner with him, but Ryan and Troy are the bright spots in our secondary right now even with both them missing a tackle here and there I think we need as much leadership as we can from a veteran standpoint now to try and continue to keep the games close and give our offense a chance to come back and win.

I dont know that Smith is much better than what we have right now but at this point who's to say he isnt.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    Farrior leads the team in tackles, has 2 sacks and an INT. I think we have far more problems to deal with than taking out one of our most reliable starters.
    At this point who cares if Farrior is reliable. As a whole the LB has been reliable this year. But in a 3-4 defense the LB's have to more then just reliable. I would also call for a young OLB to either play for Porter or Haggans. But Chad Brown is the top backup at OLB until James Harrison is back and Brown is older then both Porter and Haggans. So there isn't anyone to replace one of them.

Now I don't think Rian Wallace is the answer just saying the Steelers being 2-6 its time to start playing the younger players to see if any these guys are worth keeping around.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The only problem I see with starting Anthony Smith right now with 8 games left is that from what the team has talked about with him so far he seems to be doing a great job in practice and special teams so I think we've got a winner with him, but Ryan and Troy are the bright spots in our secondary right now even with both them missing a tackle here and there I think we need as much leadership as we can from a veteran standpoint now to try and continue to keep the games close and give our offense a chance to come back and win.

I dont know that Smith is much better than what we have right now but at this point who's to say he isnt.
    I think overall Clark has sone a solid job. But he doesn't make alot of big plays. Where Anthony Smith has alittle of that ball hawk in him. At least he did at Syracuse. He was the lone bright spot on some bad teams in college. Just saying at this point why not find out if this guy can be a fixture in your secondary for years to come.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    He may very well be the future for us and I hope he is. Clark has done a solid job and overall Im happy with our safeties at this point but I would like to see Anthony get some more time because he's our main backup right now at safety and if he needs to come in we outta know what he's got and get him some game experience. So yes I agree letting he and clark split some time is a good option to explore so long as the team doesnt think that going hog wild on changing players around is the answer because IMHO it's not.

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    He may very well be the future for us and I hope he is. Clark has done a solid job and overall Im happy with our safeties at this point but I would like to see Anthony get some more time because he's our main backup right now at safety and if he needs to come in we outta know what he's got and get him some game experience. So yes I agree letting he and clark split some time is a good option to explore so long as the team doesnt think that going hog wild on changing players around is the answer because IMHO it's not.
    No going hog wild and changing players isn't the answer and I'm not saying that at all. The Steelers are 2-6 so what does hurt to some youth injected into the lineup to see if any of these guys are players and worth keeping around. Thats all I'm saying. I think Ryan Clark is a good player and considering the facts of him learning a new defense and the corners horrible play. I think Clark has been fine. But he hasn't made alot of big plays. That was my knock on Chris Hope besides his horrible coverage skills was Hope never made any big plays. I think Anthony Smith has some ball hawk in him. Yesterday when the defense forces no turn overs. Maybe with Smith on the field more he can come up with a key turn over. I also know with having a rookie on the field that could lead to more big plays for the other teams offense. But at this point what does it hurt?

Thread Information