Thread: Steelers QB Situation

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Frustrated

Steelers QB Situation

For some reason everybody is worried about our backup situation. Well lets see!

1. The Steelers have, in my opinion, the toughest QB in the league starting every game with Big Ben.

2. I have no problem with us re-signing Charlie Batch as our backup now that Byron is with Tampa Bay. He knows our playbook up and down, and as far as I am concerned, performed as well as anybody when he had to come in for Ben.

3. Dennis Dixon is only going into his 2nd season and most everybody still has ???s about if he could come in because he is more of an athlete than a pure QB.

So here's my thing... we don't want to spend a high draft pick on a QB, so what about a tall guy that was projected a lot higher a couple seasons ago? This guy has a good arm, was projected higher before injuries and playing in a run run then pass offense, and struggling his senior season with a new coach and offense! This guy is...

Stephen McGee of Texas A&M! I really liked him his first 3 years down there. He is projected to go anywhere between round 6 to rookie free agent! We get a 5th round comp pick that we could use or any of our other picks after that. It couldn't hurt and we can put him on the practice squad if we do re-sign Charlie....

What do you all think???

dixon is a hell of an athlete but hes a good QB too. Batch will be back but he will be 3, hes a master of the playbook and is a great sideline presence but he can probably only execute 1/10 of the playbook....hes a very limited little old man. Dixon was drafted to be the backup and thats what he will be. If not now with dixon...when? backups dont have to be old dudes who are former mediocre starters.....guys can be drafted cause they profile as a backup QB, dixon was a second round talent that got hurt so we got him in the 5th....he better be ready.

btw ben is hardly the toughest QB, imo, hes been kinda high maitenence and fragile since day one.

no to drafting a QB and no especially to stephen mcgee....it doesnt matter who is backing up ben, if hes a young player all your gonna hear from steeler fans is "Hes not ready, he doesnt have any expereience.....blah, blah, blah"

My Mood
    Frustrated
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    dixon is a hell of an athlete but hes a good QB too. Batch will be back but he will be 3, hes a master of the playbook and is a great sideline presence but he can probably only execute 1/10 of the playbook....hes a very limited little old man. Dixon was drafted to be the backup and thats what he will be. If not now with dixon...when? backups dont have to be old dudes who are former mediocre starters.....guys can be drafted cause they profile as a backup QB, dixon was a second round talent that got hurt so we got him in the 5th....he better be ready.

btw ben is hardly the toughest QB, imo, hes been kinda high maitenence and fragile since day one.

no to drafting a QB and no especially to stephen mcgee....it doesnt matter who is backing up ben, if hes a young player all your gonna hear from steeler fans is "Hes not ready, he doesnt have any expereience.....blah, blah, blah"
    Not even if he is a free agent we put on the practice squad?

Starter
    The way I see it is that we need a solid back up qb because although I do believe Ben is one of the tougher quarterbacks out there, the chances of him starting every single game have been pretty low, judging by his last couple of seasons. Right now I dont really feel that comfortable with either Dixon or Batch leading the team, I think experience can be overrated sometimes as its what some older players try to cling to only to make up for their waning physical skills. Having said all that I still dont think the Steelers should draft a qb this year, because as stated before, we really havent given dixon a chance to shine yet, along with the fact that we have alot more to worry about right now than who's backing up number 7.

Thread Information