Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm possibly bandwagon...you decide

Rookie Free Agent 0311grunt4ever's Avatar

I'm possibly bandwagon...you decide

What's up brothers and sisters?

Here's my situation.

I grew up in the Ohio Valley VERY close to the border of PA, and of course the city we all LOVE...da Burgh. I've been in and out of Pittsburgh my whole life, but to my everlasting shame, I did not worry about my Steelers heritage until late in life.

Hell, I wasn't even a football fan until I was 20 (23 now).

I am a fan by way of my parents, and pretty much by birthright, but the idiot that I am, I waited until they won SB XL to catch on to the legacy (my dad hounded me for years on this)

When I turned 18, I joined the Marine Corps, and lived in NC for a while (now in VA).

I was a casual fan at the time, knowing little about my now BELOVED Steelers.

When they were 7-5 in a near downward spiral in 05', we were watching a game in my barracks room, and a friend of mine stated that the Steelers are garbage, and Ben is overrated. Even though I didn't know much about them, I defended them that day, and had a newfound group of heroes in the Steelers.

Since Oct. 2005, I have filled my head with everything Steelers and have never left them, even in their off year afterward in 06'.

Every single time I look back on their history, I always think about the legacy that I have shirked off until now, and wonder how it ever escaped me, and as I've said, will always feel ashamed that I have done so. Hopefully, this is acceptable to the rest of Steeler Nation. I will NEVER leave you, and you have my word.

Love my Stillerz...Yinz know what I mean?
    Last edited by 0311grunt4ever; 04-01-2009 at 02:57 PM.

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Better late than never my friend! We all have our story of how we became fans of the Black and Gold, some were born into it and some were drawn into it..either way Steeler Nation welcomes them all and you are no different.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Makes me wish so badly that I was Born during the mid 60's, so I could enjoy the 70's dynasty in full effect, instead of relying on word of mouth from my parents and uncles, as well as DVD's. It's great to be a part of regardless, and my generation of Steeler Nation has it's OWN dynasty to brag about now.

--- Added 4/1/2009 at 01:31 PM ---

Also thought this might be interesting..

Even though Ben grew up in Findlay, OH, far from where I did, as a kid he hung out in my immediate area where his gram and gramps have lived forever. Our local paper just did a story profiling his life growing up, and about his time in sports.

His parents and grandparents submitted pics from him growing up, and it was hilarious to see him when he was 8, and then at Miami, and now a Steeler. You'd notice how much chub he's put on since entering the NFL and how much weight he's gained. His face went from skinny to chubby in 3-4 years. I had to laugh, but I guess it just provides him extra power to shed tacklers and make a throw, as he does constantly.

More interesting is the fact that my wife's first cousin Abbey is first cousins with Ben. I just kinda pretend that me and him are family, though not legally.
    "Change we can believe in"-I just hope this is the CHANGE you wanted. Good luck America.

My Mood
    Love
    You either were just too busy to deal with football or maybe it was not just a big thing. Once you're a Steelers fan always a Steelers fan buddy. There may be other priorities in life that take you away from watching or catching up with football but it was always with you. Whatever happened is done and all is forgiven. And we are all going to love you. Welcome to best damn Steelers site on the web. Let's have a drink buddy. Hope you can keep up.

Awaiting Seven...
    Better late than never man, glad to hear your now a part of Steeler Nation

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Welcome and we forgive you for your ignorance of a great sports dynasty taking place right in front of you!!!
    Welcome and enjoy!!
    I grew up seeing bradshaw and Co. put that dynasty in the history books!!!
    I wish I would have enjoyed and relished it more in my youth!!
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    enjoy the site

My Mood
    Horny
    glad you found us and

My Mood
    Smokin

Thanks for the sig Flea

Wish I found this site when I caught the bug 3 years ago.

"Change we can believe in"-I just hope this is the CHANGE you wanted. Good luck America.

Thread Information