Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eager Sweed

Bookmark and Share
    Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive

Eager Sweed

The 2009 season will be unlike any other year for Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Limas Sweed.

Not only is he expected to produce, but he is coming off a season in which he struggled for playing time and catching the football for the first time in his football career. That's inspiring Sweed, a Steelers 2008 second-round draft pick, to improve in his second season.

The Steelers won their record sixth Super Bowl title with a 27-23 victory over the Arizona Cardinals on Feb. 1. About three weeks later, Sweed was independently training, running through routes and doing cone drills.

Limas Sweed
    #14 WR
    Pittsburgh Steelers

2008 STATS
    REC YDS TD AVG LNG
    6 64 0 10.7 17

After what the organization deems a "redshirt year" in 2008 when Sweed caught six passes for 64 yards, the former University of Texas star knows the training wheels are being removed. He will be under the spotlight of playing for the reigning Super Bowl champions.

"I don't look at it as pressure -- I love pressure and I believe the Steelers love pressure," Sweed said in a telephone interview with ESPN.com. "This team is so close that guys are like brothers, and you don't want to let your family members down.

"I think that's how guys take it when they're out there playing -- they're not only playing for themselves but they're playing for the man next to them. And I definitely, definitely don't want to let any of those guys down."

The opportunity comes after former teammate Nate Washington signed a six-year, $27 million contract with the rival Tennessee Titans, whom the Steelers will face in the season opener on Sept. 10.

In addition to starting cornerback Bryant McFadden, Washington was one of the few productive free agents Pittsburgh lost this offseason.

"I figured something might happen," Sweed said of the opportunity. "I may have been more shocked that [Washington] ended up in Tennessee. But I believe I can step in and do the job."

Pittsburgh believes both Sweed and a fellow 2008 draft pick, first-round tailback Rashard Mendenhall, are due for more productive sophomore campaigns. In many ways, the Steelers view the pair as extra draft picks or this year's free-agent acquisitions.

Starting receivers Hines Ward and Santonio Holmes also have been two of Sweed's biggest supporters, which Sweed says "is like an added bonus." From the first day he arrived, both starters worked with Sweed in an effort to bring him up to speed with the offense.

Looking beyond the surface, there are plenty of reasons to believe in Sweed's potential. He is big (6-foot-4, 220 pounds), fast and has shown the ability to get open. Sweed also didn't have problems with drops in college, which leads many to believe his issues last season were more mental (inexperience, nerves) than physical.

Streeter Lecka/Getty Images
    Limas Sweed dropped a possible touchdown pass in the AFC Championship Game.
    According to the Elias Sports Bureau, Sweed did not drop a pass during the regular season. But in the AFC Championship Game victory over the Baltimore Ravens, the streaking Sweed dropped a possible touchdown pass from quarterback Ben Roethlisberger. The rookie atoned for the miscue with two receptions for 20 yards and a crushing block on Ravens cornerback Corey Ivy.

"Being around guys like Ward, Holmes, [tight end] Heath Miller and Ben Roethlisberger should have a real positive effect on the kid,” Matt Williamson of Scouts Inc. said. "He can certainly play at this level. I think he can be a real capable No. 2 receiver, maybe as soon as a year from now. He proved he was able to get separation and that's harder to do than anything.”

Sweed also is a winner. He is one of the few second-year players who sport both BCS Championship and Super Bowl rings. Sweed estimates that he has more than 100 career victories and just 20 losses on his résumé playing football since high school.

"I wouldn't call it spoiled; I would call it getting used to winning," Sweed said. "To win a national championship in college in Year 2 and then come in here with the Steelers and win a world championship in Year 1, it's been unreal."

The Steelers are counting on Sweed to be prepared for his next reality check.

Pittsburgh offensive coordinator Bruce Arians likes to run a lot of three-receiver sets at the expense of the fullback. The third receiver is almost considered a starter for the Steelers, as Washington caught 40 passes from that position last season and had plenty of opportunities to affect the game with big plays.

Sweed knows exactly what is expected of him from the beginning of camps this year. Instead of waiting his turn as a rookie, he will see significant playing from the beginning of the season.

That is why Sweed already is eager for September. All the work he is putting in now is focused toward the goals of fitting in with the defending champs and quickly erasing the memories of his rookie mistakes with his coaches and teammates.

"We're in the offseason program working out, and I'm seeing guys like NFL Defensive MVP James Harrison working out right next to me," Sweed said. "That's added motivation that if a guy can be Defensive MVP and come back early and workout, that tells me what this team is about.

"I'm glad I'm a part of that, and I don't want to let these guys down. I'm doing everything in my power every day to be prepared, so when the time comes I'll be ready to deliver."
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

talk is cheap
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Steel City Mafia # 632
    Good article...It seems like his head is on straight and he realizes it's his time to shine in 09.With Ward and Holmes mentoring this guy he will be a beast and i can't wait to see him blow by people this year and silence his critics...Nate who????

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by ItAintEasyBeingPeazy View Post
    Good article...It seems like his head is on straight and he realizes it's his time to shine in 09.With Ward and Holmes mentoring this guy he will be a beast and i can't wait to see him blow by people this year and silence his critics...Nate who????
    Thats what I think. Him and Mendy will be like FA too. I expect great things from them both....
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Rookie Free Agent
    I like Sweed, love his speed, hated his hands the few times he played. I hope he turns into something really special, he has loads of potential.

Assistant Coach Real Deal Steel's Avatar
    This is what I"ve been saying all along. Sweed will be fine. Most WR start slow their first year. Even Jerry Rice.

The kid has seen what it takes at the pro level and now he will come to camp focused and ready to produce.
    The Steeler way...is the only way.

PITTSBURGH PRIDE! STEEL CITY TANK's Avatar
    He'll be fine, with guys like ward and holmes helpin him and ben there for support he'll be fine

My Mood
    Chatty
    Well look how Santonio struggled especially on special teams his first year and look at him now....Superbowl MVP baby!!!

He's got great mentors so he'll be fine! THis team is built on success so he won't fail. He can only get better each year.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

Love his attitude and he is seeing what it takes to be a Steeler. He'll make mistakes early but we will see him continue to improve and I think Ben will find him open a lot.
    Last edited by SteelerRush; 03-25-2009 at 09:42 PM.

In all fairness to the N.F.L. I think the Steelers should be omitted from the draft this year. I mean lets face it, they won the Super Bowl last year without using the players they drafted. " Ha, Ha, I loves me some sarcasm ".

Thread Information