Thread: Woodley Ready To Meet The Challenge

Bookmark and Share
    Steel City Mafia # 632

Woodley Ready To Meet The Challenge

Woodley ready to meet the challenge
    Wednesday, March 18, 2009
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

LaMarr Woodley was one of the last players out of the locker room following the Steelers first few days of voluntary offseason workouts. And he didn’t seem to mind it one bit.

Woodley is taking part in the workouts that are mainly attended by younger players who didn’t see much playing time last year and he is doing it just because he wants to.

“I am here by my own choice,” said Woodley. “I will be here for a while, go back to Ann Arbor for a while and work out, then come back. When you volunteer to be here, it means you really want to be here. It means you want to do it.”

It’s been a nice change of pace for Woodley, who has been traveling almost every week since the Super Bowl, and has appeared on BET’s 106 & Park and Rip the Runway Fashion show, where he hit the catwalk.

He also will throw out the first pitch at the home opener for the Altoona Curve on Thursday, April 16 when they host the Erie SeaWolves at Blair County Ballpark. The Curve is the Pittsburgh Pirates Class AA Affiliate.

“It’s going to be fun,” said Woodley. “A lot of people are asking me if I can get it to the plate. I definitely don’t want to embarrass myself. I have to get it to the plate. I am looking forward to watching the game too.

“Since the Super Bowl I have been flying every week, going to different cities and I kind of miss working out. I just started up working out last week. This is my second week. There are a few aches and pains. I want to try and get my weight down. I want to play at a different weight this year, coming in this season.”

Another thing Woodley wants to do this season is improve on his performance from 2008. As a first-year starter at outside linebacker he was impressive with 11.5 sacks in the regular season, while adding six in the post-season, two in each game including Super Bowl XLIII. Improving on that will be a challenge, one that he is up for.

“What I did last year showed everybody what I’ve got,” said Woodley. “I went out there and had 11 sacks. I helped the team win the Super Bowl. A lot of people are going to be wondering if I can come back and do the same thing, will I be the same type of player or will I go up or go down. I am the type of player that I always like to go up. I want to do better than what I did this year.”

He will take that not just as an individual challenge, but as a team challenge as well. Woodley is only entering his third season with the Steelers so he wasn’t a part of the 2005 team that won Super Bowl XL but failed to make the playoffs in 2006. The last thing he wants is to see that kind of history repeat itself.

“Winning the Super Bowl everybody is going to want to see how we react this year,” said Woodley. “You have to focus on next season. Everybody wants to see what type of team you are going to be coming back this year.

“We want to go into this season with the right attitude and show everybody across the league we are going to come back and compete for another championship. Coming back it really brings you back to life.”
    ~ I love how him and Harrison are in there working with the young guys..Woodley is a beast and he's gonna be even better in 09.

"He's running around there, running his mouth, doing all that, but if you watch him on film and really look, where was Ray Lewis? He was nowhere to be found. I could have tackled the water boy and had as many tackles as him. He didn't do nothing today. He's all mouth. When you talk like that, that's what happens: You get hit in the mouth. He's over there crying now, thinking about what went wrong. You got your *** whipped, that's what." ~ Peazy

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    He wants to come down in weight? Thats cool. I thought he was a little big anyways. I figured it was because when drafted he was viewed as a tweener. Now its clear he's the OLB, and dropping a little weight will only speed him up. good for him. working with the younger guys shows his maturity too. He's growing into a team leader....
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Reppin' 724
    Love to hear this.

Although i like him where he is now weight-wise. He had a pretty solid season, but if he thinks coming down will help him, then do be it.

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    4 post season games = 8 sacks! Dude knows when to step it up!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Quote Originally Posted by Stairwayto7 View Post
    4 post season games = 8 sacks! Dude knows when to step it up!
    do you ever remember a bigger big game player with us like that guy was this past season?

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    do you ever remember a bigger big game player with us like that guy was this past season?
    Porter was huge during the last playoff run!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Aggressive
    Yeah, Porter always seemed to play big. I wish he could have stayed..Too bad position in the NFL dont come with a set rate. No one would leave us if that were the case....sigh...

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Yeah, Porter always seemed to play big. I wish he could have stayed..Too bad position in the NFL dont come with a set rate. No one would leave us if that were the case....sigh...
    As much as I loved him. All I can say is Joey who?

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I love seeing the players coming in for the voluntary stuff too, it shows they are in it 100% and moving full steam ahead toward getting better. Wood has a monster upside and as long as he stays healthy there's no reason he won't continue beast it out on Sundays.

Rookie Free Agent
    It is good to see Woodley putting the time in, he is growing up to become one hell of a football player. We can look forward to more years of Woodley bringing the pain, I can't wait!

Thread Information