Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2009 Compensatory picks...

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

2009 Compensatory picks...

No, they're not out yet, but I've been reading here and there and we have a good chance of getting a 3rd rounder for losing Faneca. Mewelde Moore and Clark Haggans cancel each other out.

PITTSBURGH
    Lost: Alan Faneca, Clark Haggans
    Signed: Mewelde Moore

Pittsburgh (Alan Faneca, $7.8 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I think it's a lock that the Steelers get a 3rd for Faneca. They go by the size of the contract, games started, and making the pro bowl figures in greatly. They are 3 for 3 with Faneca. Haggans on the other hand didn't fare so well.

Rookie Free Agent
    I keep thinking--for losing Faneca--the Steelers will get one "comp" pick at the end of the third and a second one at the end of the fifth or sixth.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    On steelerfury.com.....A poster had a detailed lay out about the compensatory picks.....According to the poster the Steelers will be rewarded an extra 3rd......

Rookie Free Agent
    I can dream, can't I??

But, one between a third and fourth is good, because that means we get a shot--likely--at one of the "100 best players available," depending on how many "comps" the NFL awards between rounds 3 and four.

My Steelers friend from work is leaving for another job so I might as well start getting used to asking questions here. Ok this is a stupid question but this is the first draft I will actually see. All I know of the draft is you get to pick a player in order of how well you did and so we pick last. What is a compensatory pick?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    PITTSBURGH
    Lost: Alan Faneca, Clark Haggans
    Signed: Mewelde Moore

Pittsburgh (Alan Faneca, $7.8 million, 16/16, Pro Bowl)

Quote:
    As the NFL explains, compensatory picks are awarded to teams that lose more or better compensatory free agents than they acquire. The number of picks a team can receive equals the net loss of compensatory free agents, up to a maximum of four. Compensatory free agents are determined by a secret formula based on salary, playing time and postseason honors. Not every free agent lost or signed is covered by the formula.

This is, in a nut shell, what Compensatory picks are... I think we better get a 3rd round pick.. How else could he be judged any higher: played on SB champ., Pro-Bowls EVERY year he played in this league (and still counting) if the league screws PITT by giving a 4th round, then **** ON the league office!!!
    for haggins and moore, they are a wash.....
    we'll only get a 3rd round
    Oakland, Where Careers Go To Die!!!!!

http://myxilplik.mybrute.com

http://tironne.mybrute.com

Thanks for the quick reply. That makes sense. So how do they decide in what round we get the compensatory pick. Is it all based on the secret formula? The more of our loss the earlier the round so that we get a chance at a replacement more equal to our loss?

Rookie Free Agent
    You just grasped it all.

There reportedly is a formula, but it's buried in the NFL HQ in New York.

However, the previous answer gave you enough accurate info to be dangerous.

Most of us are assuming, because Faneca was such a high profile FA last year, the Steelers will get at least one pick--and between the third and fourth rounds is the highest awarded--and the possibility of a second one later on. But, the skeptics/cynics on the baord think it only will be one.

"Compensatory" picks cannot be traded, but one could see--if it fit into their plans--the Steelers trading their third pick in the draft, which is #96, knowing that they will get a "comp" pick between Rounds 3 and 4, which might be anywhere from #97 to #105 or so.

"Comp" picks are announced when the NFL meets, generally near the end of March, so you adjust your April draft plans knowing which conp picks you get and where they will be chosen.

Looking forward, we will earn a "comp pick" in the 2010 draft for "losing" McFadden, unless this year we sign one or two FAs--like Carr or Galloway--who have visited, or some FA down the road the Steelers decide they want.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afcnorth/...ks-are-in.html

The Pittsburgh Steelers gained one pick: No. 169 overall at the end of the fifth round.

The Cincinnati Bengals gained four extra picks: No. 98 overall in the third round, No. 209 overall in the sixth round, and No. 249 and 252 overall in the seventh round.

The Cleveland Browns and Baltimore Ravens were shut out of the compensatory pick sweepstakes this year. The formula, although not exactly known, is based on the combination of quality free agents gained and lost the previous year.

Thread Information