Thread: Cowhers coaching future in doubt after slow start

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Cowhers coaching future in doubt after slow start

http://www.allheadlinenews.com/articles/7005367930
    November 1, 2006 7:40 a.m. EST

Matthew Smith - All Headline News Staff Writer
    Pittsburgh, PA (AHN) - When you're 2-5, someone has to take the blame. That's exactly what Pittsburgh Steelers coach Bill Cowher did on Tuesday.

Cowher told reporters that it's not Ben Roethlisberger's poor play or shoddy defense that is causing the Steelers to lose this year. The Super Bowl winning coach said all fingers should be pointed at him.

"Obviously, there's a lot of disappointment to be sitting here at 2-5. I accept full responsibility for that," Cowher said Tuesday at a press conference. "It starts with me. There's been a lot of frustration ... in the different ways we have found to lose. The bottom line is we have lost."

Cowher's future with the Steelers remains uncertain. Since winning the Super Bowl last season, there has been speculation over whether he would retire or move on from coaching in Pittsburgh. The Steelers are three games out of first place in the AFC North division. A losing season could prompt Cowher to leave, but that is not what he or the team should be worrying about at this moment.

"Each of us is going to have to do more and that starts with me," Cowher told the AP. "The focus right now is to win a football game and get out of this funk we're in."

The Steelers are coming off a terrible loss to the Oakland Raiders (2-5), who are considered the laughing stock of the NFL. In that game, Roethlisberger tossed four interceptions, including two that were returned for touchdowns. The team that rumbled through the playoffs, on the road, en route to a world title has obviously lost its swagger.

Cowher told the AP, "Confidence is a fragile thing. We have no reason to be a confident team at this point. We haven't done the things it takes to win games."

Roethlisberger, who has been through a near-fatal motorcycle accident, an appendectomy and a concussion all in the last six months, is playing the worst football of his career. After starting his tenure as the starting QB in Pittsburgh with 27 wins in 31 starts, Roethlisberger has gone 1-5 this season. Cowher believes his young quarterback is trying to make too many plays.

Cowher told reporters, "With three of them [interceptions], he's got to use better judgment. He would admit to that. To get the ball at the 1-yard line [late in the game] and not score with that -- the inconsistencies, we've got to eliminate them. And we are not doing that."

Other areas of concern for Cowher are punt return coverages (last in NFL), an average rushing game and a poor turnover margin that ranks fifth from the bottom in the league.

Cowher commented to reporters, "We're turning the ball over and that's the biggest thing -- we have 18 in seven games. A year ago we had 23 in 16. There have been a lot of inconsistencies with our team."

To make matters worse, backup running back Verron Haynes and linebacker Arnold Harrison were each placed on injured reserve Tuesday with torn anterior cruciate ligaments.
    The media is still taking this whole issue and running with it, it's only going to get worse and more rumors continue to surface about BC's future until we turn this around..and even then it probably still won't stop.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    Taking a page for Andy Reid? Both pro football teams having said the same thing in the state.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

I highly doubt that Cowher will be let go, I also feel that if the Steelers don't make the playoffs a fire will be lit under Cowhere like we have never seen before. It takes a lot for a man to swallow his pride and admit fault, that was a start on his part. Now if he can rally the team and do something special with what's left of the season.... that would be awesome!!

My Mood
    Amazed

Wink

Bill Cowher will not be fired FOR ANY REASON NOR WILL HE "RETIRE." If either of those things happen, I will be shocked to death
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Well I'm still sticking to my line of thinking that Bill Cowher has made up his mind about retiring after this season. I don't think Cowher will stay retired. But will take a break from coaching. But we will find out. I don't Cowher should be fired. Not with all he has done for the Steelers organization. Now Keven Spencer well I hope he is fired soon.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Anybody in there right mind on this board or out there who thinks Bill Cowher will be fired by the Rooney's a year after winning the Super Bowl is either insane or seriously needs there head examined pretty good.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    As much as this season has sucked. The Rooney's will not fire cowher. Cowher will walk on his own terms.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The Rooney's will not fire Bill...they have too much respect for him and vice versa. They will either ask him to step down and allow him to resign or he'll just retire before they bring it up.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    He will retire after this season on his own terms. The Rooney's would neither fire him, nor ask him to step down--besides--they know Bill wants to leave after this season, so there would be no reason to do either.

His family is already in NC. He wants to be with them.

The only thing that MIGHT make Bill change his mind about retiring, would be if he doesn't want to go out on the note he's playin right now.

I've said this before and I'll say it again... if the Steelers finish this season and don't make the playoffs, I truly believe that it will ignite that fire that Cowher is missing this year na dhe will return at least another year. Nobody wants to walk away from the game on a losing crappy season!

Thread Information