Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Colon Gets First Round Tender

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel

Colon Gets First Round Tender

STEELERS’ COLON GETS HIGH TENDER
    Posted by Aaron Wilson on February 26, 2009, 3:50 p.m.
    Pittsburgh Steelers offensive lineman Willie Colon has received a first-round restricted tender, Adam Caplan of Scout.com reports.

Colon is now scheduled to make $2.198 million in 2009 on a one-year contract.

Under the rules governing restricted free agents, the Steelers have the right to match any offer sheet from another team. If they declined to match, they would get a first-round draft pick as compensation for losing Colon.

Colon was originally drafted in the fourth round by Pittsburgh.
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    would the team that took him be the ones to give up that 1st round pick or are the Steelers just given one? I say let him go if we can. 2 first rounders is huge.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

Its a smart move, IMO, considering whats out there is going to cost us a fortune to sign. That also buys us a year for whoever we draft to evolve into a NFL player. (That's if we draft some talent at OL)

--- Added 2/26/2009 at 03:26 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    would the team that took him be the ones to give up that 1st round pick or are the Steelers just given one? I say let him go if we can. 2 first rounders is huge.
    Two first rounders would be huge, but it would be this year's AND next year's draft, right?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yeah I guess it's a smart move, I don't see anybody giving 3 million a year to Colon though, no way! Unless there is somebody so unbelievably desperate because they feel the need to have their offense false start more often.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Yeah I guess it's a smart move, I don't see anybody giving 3 million a year to Colon though, no way! Unless there is somebody so unbelievably desperate because they feel the need to have their offense false start more often.
    Maybe the Lions. They get so many 1st picks what does it matter. They need help up front and Colon has won a SB....let us pray
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Being a super bowl champion always adds value to even the lower tier free agents, just look at Larry Brown. If he can get the kind of money he got after SB XXX then anybody can

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Get rid of Colon!! He's one of the worst lineman and could even be the worst player we're holding right now. It's a good way to start beefing up the o-line, by getting rid of sh!t baggage like him. If that 2.198 million can go to a first rounder then cut him the **** loose. Hopefully teams like the Cheifs, Lions, Rams, Raiders are willing to pay a little more. And like TG said, he did just win a Superbowl so his value went up. Hopefully somebody bites lol
    Last edited by Steel Trap86; 02-26-2009 at 06:15 PM.

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post

This is an excellent question. Does the team that takes him give us their 1st round pick? And if so in what year is the pick due? Do we get it this year or is this something that carries over to next year like the compensatory picks? The article implies that he has been tendered a first round offer by another team. The Steelers would be crazy to get in a bidding war for Willie Colon. Let him go, take the pick.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

hopefully if he says he'll take that money & hire a tutor to teach him how to count so he doesn't jump off sides as much

My Mood
    Addicted
    I understand why, but i wish we could get rid of his @$$ also

Thread Information