Thread: Wexell's thoughts; Post combine

Bookmark and Share

Hybrid View

Gold Standard

Wexell's thoughts; Post combine

* Offensively, I’ll take WR Hakeem Nicks off the Steelers’ draft odds board. He ran a sub 4.5 40, and speed was supposed to be his weakness. In fact, most compare Nicks to Anquan Boldin, who ran a 4.72 40 at the combine. Nicks will be long, long gone, now.

* No matter how hard I try to spin this thing, I keep coming back to offensive linemen. My man Eric Wood (6-4, 310) ran a 5.17 40 and looked fluid in all of his drills. The only two interior linemen to run faster (less than a tenth of a second) both weighed less and couldn’t match Wood’s 30 reps on the bench. He’s still the odds-on favorite in the first round.

* A.Q. Shipley’s still my guy in the later rounds. In fact, I could live with a draft haul that includes Wood, Jamon Meredith and Shipley. Yes, it would be dull, but it be a foundation draft, which is the perfect post-championship draft.

Wexell has the right idea. Every time you go off dreaming of cornerbacks, defensive ends, and wide receivers just pop in a game tape and come back to reality. We need to bolster what was a very weak offensive line and our achilles heal all year long.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Wexell has the right idea. Every time you go off dreaming of cornerbacks, defensive ends, and wide receivers just pop in a game tape and come back to reality. We need to bolster what was a very weak offensive line and our achilles heal all year long.
    Trust me I would like to see Eric Wood in a Steelers uniform next year but its not going to happen....They won't take Wood at 32 and I don't see him lasting until the Steelers pick in the 2nd round......Eric Wood is a beast.....

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Trust me I would like to see Eric Wood in a Steelers uniform next year but its not going to happen....They won't take Wood at 32 and I don't see him lasting until the Steelers pick in the 2nd round......Eric Wood is a beast.....

I am not stuck or fixated on any one player. I am stuck on the fact that we need to blow up that O-line and start over. If it takes coming into next year with 3 or 4 new starters, I don't care. If it takes signing a couple free agents and a couple 1st day draft picks then so be it. We cannot go into next year with minimal changes and expect very different results. I don't want to go through another season where the Steelers struggle to gain a foot or a yard when they need it. I can't remember another Steeler team since I have been a fan (about 35 years) that struggled worse than this one at gaining a yard whether it was for a first down or a touchdown.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I really like the talk about the Steelers signing Jeff Saturday.

LT - Max Starks/Trai Essex
    LG - Justin Hartwig/Chris Kemoeatu (or draft Eric Wood and cut Hartwig)
    C - Jeff Saturday/Darnell Stapelton
    RG - Willie Colon/Kendall Simmons (or cut Simmons in leiu of a draft pick)
    RT - Tony Hills/Draft Pick

I don't really have any idea where Tony Hills fits into their plans. I do know he was considered a high 2nd rounder going into his senior year, then he got hurt. He seemed like a steal. I'm not going to hang my hat on him, but I don't think we should rule him out.

Signing Saturday and drafting Wood would be ideal IMO. I don't want Wood at #34 though. I say move up in the 2nd to get him. They can afford to give up some picks, they have like 9. The last time they had that many they ended up being wasted. There just aren't many roster spots up for grabs. Let Wood get acclimated by playing OG for a couple season and ultimatley moving to center when Saturday moves on. I recall a former Steelers center starting off at guard and then moving to center and playing like a Hall of Famer. Dermonti Dawson was his name...
    Last edited by darnik44; 02-26-2009 at 06:39 AM.

Rookie Free Agent
    I wouldn't go as far as saying the Steelers need to blow up their whole offensive line. Yes we need to improve their, but it might help to return a couple of starters and add a vet and some fresh new talent.
    Steeler Born
    Steeler Bred
    And
    When I Die
    I'll be
    Steeler Dead!

Thread Information