Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Marvin Harrison asks for his release

Bookmark and Share
    Awaiting Seven...

Marvin Harrison asks for his release

Marvin Harrison has asked for his release from the Indianapolis Colts. I was just curious on where you guys think he will end up if he is released?

Rumors floating around Philly today that it's the Eagles. He's a Philly guy, played with McNabb in college and the Eagles need a WR. All makes sense to me!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Chatty
    I was quite surprised but now that Tony is gone I guess i'm not surprised...not sure where he will go, i'm sure he'll get a great deal wherever he goes...Good Luck to him.

Thanks Steelers086 for my awesome signature!!!

Thanks for the new avatar SteelerBee!

My Mood
    Horny
    who cares he really hasn't done anything in the last three years!

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Rumors floating around Philly today that it's the Eagles. He's a Philly guy, played with McNabb in college and the Eagles need a WR. All makes sense to me!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Then again, the shooting incident he was involved in happened in Philly also. The Eagles might try and stay away from that kind of attention.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

I think they will find a way to keep him, not that it really matter that much
    This is NEXT YEAR!

My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Brady Quinn View Post
    I think they will find a way to keep him, not that it really matter that much
    i heard tonight that they are releasing him!!!
    http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9...ter-13-seasons

Marvin Harrison refused to take a pay cut. The Indianapolis Colts couldn't afford to keep him without one.

On Monday, the two sides reached agreement on one thing: Harrison will be a free agent.

Agent Tom Condon told The Associated Press that Indianapolis has agreed to release the franchise's all-time leading receiver, although an official announcement is not expected until Tuesday or Wednesday.

The decision comes one day after team president Bill Polian said he hoped to cut a deal that would keep Harrison in Indy. When Harrison said no, the Colts said farewell.

"Basically, we were not able to come to any kind of agreement, it was not contentious and the Colts have agreed to release him," Condon said in a phone interview.

Team officials declined comment and a message was left by The Associated Press at the office of team owner Jim Irsay.

It's not a surprising move because the Colts would save about $6 million, based on Harrison's base salary. They would still be charged for prorated bonuses from the $66 million deal he signed in December 2004.

The Colts found it too expensive for a 36-year-old receiver coming off one of the least productive seasons of his career.

Harrison ranks second in NFL history with 1,102 receptions, and the move will disappoint many Colts fans, who embraced Harrison as a favorite. They referred to Harrison, Peyton Manning and Edgerrin James as "The Triplets," and Harrison was one of the franchise's most identifiable player in the last decade.

His penchant for toe-tapping catches along the sideline and incredible grabs in the middle of the field helped the Colts build one of the league's most successful franchises in this decade.

But longtime teammates understood why Harrison wanted to become a free agent.

"I think whatever Marvin chooses to do for himself, he has to do," center Jeff Saturday said Sunday night. "I love Marvin as a friend and as a teammate."

Indianapolis took Harrison in the first round of the 1996 draft and when Manning arrived two years later, the tandem began a record-setting journey.

They combined for more completions, yardage and touchdowns than any duo in league history.

Harrison made eight Pro Bowls, won a Super Bowl ring, and his 14,550 yards rank fourth on the NFL's career list. He is No. 5 all-time with 128 TD catches and holds all major single-season and career receiving marks for the Colts.

Over the past two seasons, though, Harrison hasn't been up to his usual standards.

He missed all but five games in 2007 because of injuries, underwent offseason knee surgery and then caught 60 passes in 2008 - far less than half of his NFL record 143 in 2002.

Philadelphia police also believe one of Harrison's guns was used in an April shooting in his hometown. No charges were filed against Harrison, and the man who made the accusation was convicted on a misdemeanor charge of lying to police.

On the field, Manning has looked more frequently for three-time Pro Bowl selection Reggie Wayne and Anthony Gonzalez, a first-round pick in 2007.

Yet coaches and Polian insisted Harrison's skills had not deteriorated.

"What I saw is a guy who is as quick as he's been, with the same hands, and he has the ability he's always had," new coach Jim Caldwell said Thursday at the NFL's annual scouting combine.

And Polian insisted he still wanted Harrison back in his familiar No. 88 jersey.

"Hopefully, we'll find a way to work through that (the contract)," Polian said Sunday. "I don't know if we will, but we hope to."

They couldn't.

Now Harrison will look for work elsewhere. Some have speculated that he would like to play with his hometown Eagles and former college teammate Donovan McNabb.

The Colts will have a vastly different look next season.

Former coach Tony Dungy retired in January and was replaced by Caldwell. Caldwell has hired new defensive and special teams coordinators and three of the four longest-tenured players on the roster are heading to free agency, which opens Friday.

Saturday said Sunday night he intended to test the market despite getting an offer from the Colts late last week. Punter Hunter Smith's agent, Thomas Mills, said last week Indy would not try to re-sign Smith before free agency began.

And now Harrison will join them on the open market
    Last edited by PsychoWard; 02-23-2009 at 09:47 PM.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Oakland of course LOL
    Philly sounds about right
    I hate to say that he would be a big help to joe flacco of baltimore

Us Raven fans would love to have Marvin harrison! Joe Flacco would love it....you Steeler fans would hate it...and dread it!!

Thread Information