Thread: No Alex Mack at the combine

Bookmark and Share

No Alex Mack at the combine

“While preparing for the combine on Monday with my trainer, I suffered a sprained ankle,” Mack said. “The injury isn’t serious, but unfortunately, it is going to keep me from working out this week in Indianapolis. No one is more disappointed than me, as I have been working tirelessly to further prove myself as a first-round pick. However, I don’t want to perform at anything less than 100 percent.

“I will complete my interviews here and return to my training in anticipation of a great Pro Day in Berkeley on March 18.”
    That sucks :/ i was looking forward to see what the guy was capable of...
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Gold Standard
    Watch the senior bowl. He played well. I doubt that this hurts his draft stock. Remember that the scouts ripped Lawrence Timmons to shreds at his pro-day and he slipped on a lot of the mocks, yet it didn't deter Mike Tomlin and Kevin Colbert from picking him first. There is a reason that most teams and scouts have him as the first center on the board. If the Steelers decide to go with an interior lineman he could still be our #1 pick.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

combine doesnt show "what they can do" its entirely measurables, i think pro days are better showings anyway. the combine just doesnt mean that much

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Game tape, game tape, game tape.....

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

measureables are important, but completely overrated

Gold Standard

Alex Mack

University of California center Alex Mack deserves to be a first-round selection in this year's NFL Draft. Described as a beast, a scholar, and a guy who knows how to live life to the fullest, Mack is a player who is going to see his draft stock continue to rise at the NFL Combine this week.

Already considered by many to be the best center in this year's NFL Draft class, California's Alex Mack created a lot of buzz in Mobile as scouts watched him work against some of the nation's top defensive linemen. And his stock should continue to rise this week as he gets to put his athleticism, intelligence and personality on display in Indianapolis this week at the NFL Scouting Combine.

Aggressive and smart at the snap of the ball, Mack showed-off his technique and brute strength during Senior Bowl week, creating headaches for defenders who found themselves unfortunate enough to be lining up across from him. And he seemed to be the only player who was fully capable of going head-to-head with Boston College defensive tackle B.J. Raji on a consistent basis.

"It was fun, he's a good player. I had a little trouble with him early in the week, but then I got back into football shape and understood how to play with him," Mack said during an exclusive Scout.com interview. "He's a powerful guy."

While Mack was handing out compliments to Raji, another Boston College defensive lineman, Ron Brace, told Scout.com that Mack was the toughest offensive lineman he had faced during Senior Bowl week.

"He's very good with his technique. I know he caught me on one move that I didn't sell hard enough. I tried to do a spin move and he caught me really bad," Brace said with a laugh.

The 6-foot-4, 312-pound center is a rare package of brains, brawn and heart. He won the 2008 Draddy Trophy, presented to the nation's top college football scholar-athlete who also demonstrates exemplary community leadership. It's often referred to as the "Academic Heisman."

As personable as he is smart, Mack will undoubtedly be bouncing non-stop from team to team this week for formal interview sessions with NFL coaches and general managers. And those face-to-face discussions should clinch a first-round selection for a player who is already being heralded by pro talent evaluators and NFL experts as a guy who could play successfully in the NFL for 10 years or more.

I'm liking this guy at 32. He is high on a lot of teams boards. If you can't sign a top tackle but you can still grab a monster center, I think we gotta do it. Getting hurt at the combine might have been a plus for us. Had he had a stellar combine he may have moved up into the first round out of our range. This guy could continue the tradition of great centers anchoring our line for many years to come. Please don't give me any Hartwig manlove. Hartwig is average at best. If you are ranking centers Hartwig isn't even in the top half. This guy also has the reputation Steelers look for as far as hard worker, great character, and a mawler in the trenches. Watch him in the senior bowl. Dude can hold his own against anybody! I'm not disappointed if I hear this name called at 32!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Roflol
    I was disappointed not to see Mack at the combine , but the combine isn't everything. There have been plenty of players in the past to have great or very good combines and be NFL busts. Mack's pro day will tell NFL teams what they need to know about him. Also one guy who looked intriguing though was Eric Wood C from Louisville. He had a good all-around workout yesterday. He could be another option for the Steelers.

Thread Information