Thread: Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo

Bookmark and Share
    STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns

Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo

Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo
    09:01 PM CST on Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Sometimes we get so consumed with stats that we forget that winning and losing are really all that matters.

That's why Ben Roethlisberger is better than Tony Romo.

You wouldn't have convinced me of that a few months ago because Roethlisberger, who had 17 touchdown passes and 15 interceptions this season, usually plays such an ugly game.

Like so many others, I put too much credence on stats and style and not enough on performance and substance.

But when you watch Roethlisberger struggle for three quarters against Dallas before leading the Steelers on their only touchdown drive – eight plays and 67 yards – with 2:04 left, setting up Deshea Townsend's interception return for a touchdown in the Steelers' 20-13 win over Dallas, it affects you.

Just as it affects you when you watch Roethlisberger lead the Steelers on a game-winning touchdown drive in the Super Bowl after seeing the Cardinals take an improbable 23-20 lead with less than three minutes left.

At winning time, Roethlisberger plays his best. And he does it when it matters most. It doesn't matter what Roethlisberger has done in the first three quarters. Everyone on the field and in the stadium knows he's going to get it done at the end of the game.

As long as there's time on the clock, Roethlisberger thinks he's going to win. Those are among the reasons he has two Super Bowl championships in his first five seasons.

Romo had a 114.7 rating with nine touchdowns and an interception in the fourth quarter of games this season. He had a 97.4 passer rating with nine touchdowns and four interceptions on third down, the most important down in football.

He's 27-12 as a starter.

None of that matters because he's 0-2 as a playoff starter and the Cowboys were humbled, 44-6, in a win-and-get-in game against Philadelphia in the regular-season finale.

We shouldn't have been surprised considering he had a 67.9 rating with five touchdowns and six interceptions in December.

We question Romo's leadership, commitment and preparation because he hasn't played his best football when it has mattered most. Until he does, his gaudy stats won't matter because they lack substance.
    Wow, someone from Dallas not blinded by the light of the stars....

Don't discount Romo's surrounding cast either. A large contributor to his stats is because of what is around him.

Another thing seperating these guys is athletic ability and talent. There's a reason why Ben was the 10th pick and Romo a late round or was he undrafted?

I was appalled when I heard the Cowboys paid Romo so much money. Don't get me wrong, I think he is still a good QB. A lot of the Cowboys problems are clearly related to chemistry in the locker room.

Romo is the master of choking... Think back to the game against Seattle in the playoffs and the botched snap, then just this past season in Pittsburgh then against the Eagles. The dude is great when nothing is on the line, but put some pressure on him and he's below mediocre!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Romo is the master of choking... Think back to the game against Seattle in the playoffs and the botched snap, then just this past season in Pittsburgh then against the Eagles. The dude is great when nothing is on the line, but put some pressure on him and he's below mediocre!

Ben is money more times than not, an Homo errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr Romo is an choke artist

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Romo is pre-season hype, everybody puts him and the cowboys in the superbowl before the season even starts. a lot of these fans seem to forget that you have to WIN a playoff game, better yet make the ****ing playoffs before you can win a superbowl.

ben will always be better then romo, the steelers will always be better then the cowboys.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Clutch play separates Roethlisberger and Dallas Cowboys' Romo....This is not the most glaring thing that separates these two in my mind. Sexual preference. Romo is so gay. Look at the Sea Hag Romo hangs out with....yuk!!!!! Oceans seperate these guys, and Romo being a total flop is just a small part of it.
    Be who you are, become what you dream....

No wonder Jessica got fat.
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Look at the stability of the Steelers organization that Ben has with him as opposed to the cluster **** that Romo deals. All that drama surrounding his team is detrimental to any QB, I don't care who you are. Ben is head and shoulders a better QB than Romo and when the game is on the line it's no contest, Ben gets the nod hands down every time. There is absolutely no way that Romo would have been able to make that drive in Baltimore to win the game, much less the drive in the SB to win either!

Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    you mean FAT not PHAT correct

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    Exactly! See, Romo ruins everything!

Thread Information