Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Under the radar in all of this Kevin Colbert...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Clowns

Under the radar in all of this Kevin Colbert...

Under Colbert we have won two Superbowls in four years. Only three players on this SB were NOT signed under Colbert's tenure. Only 20 players on this SB was part of Ring #5 under Bill Cowher. That's 33 new players. Our Special Teams coverage units ranked #5 on KO and #3 on Punt Returns.

Let's not forget that 6.9 mil$ to Starks everyone hated. If that had not happened I doubt we'd have another ring with Marvel Smith going down. His Crystal Ball was right on time with that one.

I never really had a problem with the Starks tag. It was worth the one year, because they prepared for the worst, and the WORST happened - Marvel's back gave out again. It was great to see Starks step up and man the fort at LT. He should get an extension. Mewelde Moore was an excellent pickup filling the void for Willie and Mendenhall when they both went down early on in the year, and being excellent as the 3rd down back and being one of the unsung heroes on that game winning drive in the Super Bowl throwing key blocks and being a decoy in the flat on several occasions that allowed Holmes to get open and make the plays he did. The 2007 draft while it didnt show many results this season still has a lot of upside with guys like Sweed and Mendenhall who both should be better in year two. Also, a guy like Ryan Mundy who most likely would have made the team had he not got hurt in preseason. Bringing in Mitch Berger to at LEAST give us a chance in the punting game. Fixing the Special Teams games and signing a guy like Keyaron Fox who was a beast on ST this season, and finding an undrafted rookie like Patrick Bailey as well who was awesome on special teams. All of that had to do with Tomlin and Colbert bringing in the right players and getting the most out of them.
    Last edited by Troyisabeast_43; 02-15-2009 at 11:12 AM.

Reppin' 724
    I still hate that Starks made so much cash this year. But really though, can we complain even a little bit about the make-up of the team this year? No.

However, we can always complain about next years team...lol.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    I still hate that Starks made so much cash this year. But really though, can we complain even a little bit about the make-up of the team this year? No.

I am sure we will Tee lol...However, with teams such as Oakland,Kansas City,Detroit,Chicago,Minnesota,Green Bay,San Diego here at home who we own,and playing teams like Tennessee and Miami over the Colts and Patriots in the AFC South and AFC East based on both of them finishing in first place all on the schedule for next season, I dont see too much complaining going on and I see another serious run being made at back to back Lombardi Trophy's.

Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post

Starks was not worth that kind of money this year, but it was a nessicary move and it showed to be wise since Marwils back freaked out yet again. That does not mean that he was worth that kind of money though. I'll still complain about ben getting sacked almost 50 times no matter if we won the SB or not.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    It's easy to look good when you win the SB. Had we loast, will, you know how we can filet people. But, we won so moot point. Over all the HO does a good dam job. Let's see what they do this year. This will be a test. Do we contend again or do we fall back like last time and end up 8-8 or worse? My black and gold blood sees a contender but I'll be the first to admit my thinking is biased.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Kevin Colbert is probably the unsung hero. He deserves alot of the credit.

I'm A "Champion"

OLD SCHOOL FOOTBALL
    Excellent post,43!!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Colbert is the benefactor of many different things ..... primarily luck, and a good head coach thanks to the Rooney's.

If certain things didn't fall perfectly into place and moons align correctly, and ball bounce our way a few times, Colbert would ... and should, be on the hot seat right now.

The Steelers defied all odds with the ****** OL we have and one of the biggest winners at the craps table was one Kevin Colbert ..... Arians was right behind him holding a horseshoe and a rabbits foot.
    Last edited by Iron City South; 02-17-2009 at 09:47 PM.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Kevin Colbert has done pretty well..... He looks like he knows what he's doing and we fans hope he can keep the magic going on!!!!!
    Need to work on building up that OL and get some depth along DL, CB WR and a few other positions!!

Quote Originally Posted by Iron City South View Post
    If certain things didn't fall perfectly into place and moons align correctly, and ball bounce our way a few times
    We wouldn't have won the Super Bowl!

It's a fine line between winning and losing...Colbert would have been on the hot seat along with everyone else. But things fall in to place, the moons aligned and the ball bounce our way and we did win so yes Colbert is a hero! Let's hope his celebrating is now over and he's back working harder to do it again!
    "When you judge another, you do not define them, you define yourself."
    -Wayne Dyer

Thread Information