Thread: Season turning into a super hangover

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Season turning into a super hangover

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06304/734342-66.stm

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Defensive end Aaron Smith, as frustrated as any Steelers fan, groped for a solution Sunday moments after his team slinked to its lowest point of the season at 2-5.

"We have to change something," he said. "Something's got to change."

They will change into their home black uniforms Sunday against Denver; that is a start for a team winless in four games on the road this season. Heinz Field will never look so good to them. But, as they proved in a debacle against Cincinnati in the season's third game, they can throw victories away at home just as easily as they can on the road.

The only change coach Bill Cowher is likely to be interested in is better play from a team that in three of its five games has dominated its foes on offense and defense only to lose because of turnovers or bad special teams performances.

"We play well and we just don't win the game," said receiver Cedrick Wilson. "It's real tough. Hopefully, we can get it together. We still have a long season ahead of us. We're not out until they say we are, and they haven't said so."

Yet the Steelers are on their way to perhaps the biggest Super Bowl hangover yet. Their 2-5 start ties for the second-worst record after seven games by a defending Super Bowl champion in the game's 40 years. Only the 1-6 start by the 1987 New York Giants was worse. Those Giants, though, played in a strike season in which three early games were played by replacement players. The Giants of '87, who finished 6-9, get an asterisk.

If the Steelers don't win soon, they could go down as the biggest loser for a defending Super Bowl champion.

The other Super Bowl teams that started like the Steelers 2-5 finished this way: the '81 Raiders 7-9, the '82 49ers 3-6 (another strike season), and the '99 Broncos 6-10.

At 7-5 last season, the Steelers' playoff hopes were in critical condition. At 2-5, it might not be worth even talking about. They would have to win nine in a row to equal their 11-5 record of 2005, go 8-1 to finish 10-6 and have a reasonable shot at making the playoffs, or 7-2 and hope that 9-7 squeezes them in.

"We just have to get some wins," said linebacker Clark Haggans. "We need to get them in a hurry, too."
    It's one to say, now they gotta do it, and absolutely do it now !

Don't you wish just for one time that one of the Vets (during interview) would come out and say "listen this is bullshit and I will grab every player that walks by me and slam them into the wall and tell them that this is going to change or I will murder sixteen of these guys!"

I know this is a joke, but hell somethings got to change in that lockeroom!
    aushqf4

House of Steel
    It is disgusting to see this team losing like this. I can't talk about it. I've been out of commission for two days cause of my computer took a nosedive. I've got a lot of new problems come up and I will update my thread.

Steelers are just going nosediving. It is pathetic and very sad. The identity is lost.

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    They never make things easy.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

House of Steel
    We can't give up on our men. I am a diehard fan through the worse and the best. They are totally lost like the Apollo 13 flying around in space trying to get back home after an explosion on the lem. The season has exploded and the Steelers are flying through space out of control. I pray and hope they get a moving. I am not going to the Cleveland game since we've got a lot of things going on with my wife, so I am going to spend the day with her.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This team always takes the hard road, never doing anything to actually put the odds in their favor to win.....but this is definately ranks right up there with one of the worst ways to go through a season.

Quote Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
    Don't you wish just for one time that one of the Vets (during interview) would come out and say "listen this is bullshit and I will grab every player that walks by me and slam them into the wall and tell them that this is going to change or I will murder sixteen of these guys!"

I know this is a joke, but hell somethings got to change in that lockeroom!
    I think this is what the team is missing! They don't have anybody who will step up and do that. Joey would be the person to do it but he's only watching out for himself now!

It's now or never, something must change but they need to put a finger on the "something" before they can move forward!

Thread Information