Thread: Loss affects the fans too

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Loss affects the fans too

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06304/734301-66.stm

Tuesday, October 31, 2006

By Chico Harlan, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Those arriving at Pittsburgh International Airport walk past twinned, life-sized statues of Franco Harris and George Washington, emblems of Steelers Nation and the nation itself -- positioned as symbolic equals. Which leads to one easy interpretation: People here like their football team, almost as much as they dislike its current 2-5 record.

Anybody dropped into the region yesterday, for instance, discovered a population still trying (with ugly results) to swallow the aftertaste of Sunday's 20-13 Steelers' loss against Oakland. Talk-show callers breathed fire about the quarterback, the coach and the penalties. Fan message board topics ranged from the disturbing ("Thank God for Vicodin") to the very disturbing ("Bring back Tommy Maddox"). Dejection blanketed even the celebratory moments.

"Well, we just had a birthday party for somebody in our office," said the Rev. Jim Farnan, a priest and a Diocese of Pittsburgh education director. "We had these black and gold cupcakes. And it actually brought down the celebration. Everybody looked at the cupcakes with a sigh."

Just nine months removed from Pittsburgh's Super Bowl victory, few fans expected the team's momentum to so quickly reverse. The Steelers returned most key components. They opened the season with a win. And even after the ensuing slump, they at least had the fortune of a date with the moribund Raiders, a team chronically undone by interceptions and penalties.

So Sunday, Ben Roethlisberger threw four interceptions. The Steelers committed six penalties, and several undisciplined personal fouls. Pittsburgh, not the Raiders, looked like one of football's poorest teams -- closer to a high draft pick than a playoff spot.

Fans talked yesterday about a team that kept beating itself. But really, it was the fans who'd taken a beating.

"One of those typical Mondays after a loss -- no bounce in your step," said Chris Binaut, president of the Steelers fan club Baltimore chapter.

"It's a shame, because it's such a beautiful day otherwise, but there's a big black cloud that rolled in from Oakland," said Jeff Verscharen, of Eighty Four, voted in January by VisitPittsburgh as Steeler Nation's biggest fan.

Few fans, even stuck in the gloom, dismissed the Steelers' chances for a turnaround. By trade, they rationalize long-shot odds. Last season, the Steelers overcame a 7-5 start ... which will only require a five-game winning streak to match ... which will require victories in the next two games against Denver and New Orleans, with a combined 10-4 record. Indeed, Pittsburghers might shift full focus to football in late April, but they won't shift full focus to hockey in late October.

I hate the first few days after all these losses, it just makes you depressed and grouchy, and still sratching your head wondering what in the hell just happened again.

I stabbed my daughters stuff teady bear 72 times yesterday!

My daughter asked "Daddy what happen"? I told her that I was trying to fix a loose string and fell down the stairs!
    aushqf4

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    and Im tired of going through TV remotes every sunday !!!

You aint a kidding! Damn! I'm keeping walmart in biz, but you know they make those damn things so cheap.

Me and you TG, we make a titanium remote control that you can't break.....Hey we could make millions.

Should have never said that, Koppa is working on it as we speak! Ha.
    aushqf4

House of Steel
    I will tell you this, today was a bad day to be in Cleveland. The Browns fans were all over me saying they got the same record as us and they win and we lost to a pathetic Oakland team that they beat. They was laughing at me like you wouldn't believe. It is disgusting to hear it.

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
    You aint a kidding! Damn! I'm keeping walmart in biz, but you know they make those damn things so cheap.

Me and you TG, we make a titanium remote control that you can't break.....Hey we could make millions.

Should have never said that, Koppa is working on it as we speak! Ha.
    lol, i would never hurt a remote..........well i did once, but it was a vcr remote and i broke it when the spurs lost against the lakers in the playoffs with that .04 bullshit shoot lol

i'm not as upset with the season being over......i knew it was coming the way we've been playing.....it could be good for us, maybe there's a badass outside linebacker in the first round we can get since we are probably gonna get rid of porter.........or maybe there's some other stud we could use.....are team ain't bad either, we keep beating ourselves so that's a plus going into next season, and this will force big ben to become a better qb, because so far everything has come easy to him and he's never had a reason to try to get better, now he has a huge reason.....
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    breaking remotes, keyboards, scaring the neighbors. Yeah that about sums up my typical sunday. For the past few weeks ugg.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

I hate a loss, especially to a team like the Raiders! The first day back to work is always the hardest especially when you are called in a meeting with 30 others around! Tuesday is a little better then by Wednesday all is forgotten!

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I havn't forgot nothing But i will keep my comments to myself. At this moment I'll say thanks for the high draft pick.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    People you have it easy for the most part. Try being in Bears/Colts country right now. I live 55 miles from Chicago and about 3 hours from Indy. I also work in Elkhart Indiana. Which is about 2 hours from Indy. Lets just say at work today. The Bears and Colts fans that I work with were a bunch of arrogant ****s. The non stop Steelers suck and Ben sucks I heard all day. Some still make fun of Ben and his accident. It drives me nuts. But at least I work with two Steelers fans. So we have each others back among the Bears fans and Colts fans that we work with.

Thread Information