Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Woodson, Smith lead 2009 HOF class.....

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted

Woodson, Smith lead 2009 HOF class.....

TAMPA, Fla. -- Defensive standouts Bruce Smith andRod Woodsonwere elected to the Pro Football Hall of Fame on their first try, while former commissioner Paul Tagliabue was denied for the third straight year.
    Also picked Saturday were longtime Bills owner Ralph Wilson; the late Chiefs linebacker Derrick Thomas; former Vikings guard Randall McDaniel; and former Cowboys star Bob Hayes.
    Inductions will be Aug. 8 in Canton, Ohio.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Rookie Free Agent
    Rod Woodson was truly one of the greats. I was hoping for Dermanti Dawson to get in too, let's pray for next year. Great class selected. Bruce Smith is hometown talent and still lives in Va Beach. Derrick Thomas was a true beast as well. What a great day for all of pro football!

Another in the ever growing list of Steelers players to be elected. Dermanti will be there in time. How many are we watching now who will join the enshrined? Ben, Hines, Troy, Farrior, ???? More to come!

My Mood
    Addicted
    Congrats to Rod! Well deserved!

Does anyone know anything about attending the induction ceremony?? Or has anyone ever attended that can give me some information??

You'll never believe this, but Woodsonsgirl wants me to take her to this for some unknown reason.

Congratulations Rod Woodson!!!!

"Here's an idea! Don't worry about sports and run the ****ing country!!!" - PsychoWard to Obama

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by NHStlrfan View Post
    Another in the ever growing list of Steelers players to be elected. Dermanti will be there in time. How many are we watching now who will join the enshrined? Ben, Hines, Troy, Farrior, ???? More to come!
    James Farrior will not make the Hall of Fame....He is a very good player but he isn't Canton worthy......I think Hines will make and should....But it took Art Monk forever to get in......Plus Chris Carter didn't make it today.........So who knows what will be in the minds of the voters when Ward is up for the Hall of Fame......

I would say Ben and Troy are off to good starts in their careers.....But its still rather to early to say if they deserve to make the Hall of Fame.....

Congrats to Rod Woodson.....He was one of the greatest corners ever and was one hell of a return man to.......He belongs to be enshirned with the greats of the game.....

My Mood
    Amazed
    I wonder which team Woodson will go in under, Steelers, SF, Baltimore or Oakland. I always liked him and he had a great bar in da burgh.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Addicted
    He goes in a Steeler. I can't see him going in as anything else.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Here is Woodson's profile in the HOF.....

ROD WOODSON
    Class of 2009

Cornerback/Safety >>> 6-0, 200
    (Purdue)
    1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers, 1998-2001 Baltimore Ravens, 2002-03 Oakland Raiders

Steelers first-round draft pick (10th player overall), 1987 NFL Draft. . .Member of NFL’s 75th Anniversary Team and NFL’s All-Decade Team of the 1990s. . . NFL Defensive Player of the Year, 1993. . . Intercepted 71 passes in career. . . Is NFL’s all-time leader in interception return yardage (1,483). . .Six-time first-team All-Pro choice. . .Earned All-Pro honors as cornerback, kick returner, safety. . .Named to 11 Pro Bowls. . .Born March 10, 1965, in Fort Wayne, Indiana.

Rod Woodson did it all during his college career at Purdue. He played running back and wide receiver on offense, played cornerback and safety on defense, and returned punts and kickoffs. As a result, it was no surprise when the Pittsburgh Steelers drafted the modern-day “triple threat” star in the first round of the 1987 NFL Draft.
    Steelers coach Chuck Noll acknowledged Woodson’s versatility by playing him at cornerback and as a kick returner, but he was too valuable to risk playing him on both offense and defense. Woodson responded by earning Pro Bowl honors in just his third season.
    It wasn’t, however, until Noll’s successor Bill Cowher took over that Woodson really blossomed. In 1992 he was second on the team with 100 tackles and collected six sacks. The next season he had eight interceptions, 28 passes defensed, forced two fumbles, two quarterback sacks, blocked a field goal attempt and recorded a team high 79 solo tackles. For his effort he was named NFL Defensive Player of the Year.
    In his 17 NFL seasons (1987-1996 Pittsburgh Steelers, 1997 San Francisco 49ers, 1998-2001 Baltimore Ravens, 2002-03 Oakland Raiders) Woodson recorded 71 interceptions; 1,483 interception return yards; 2,362 punt return yards; and 17 touchdowns. The Fort Wayne, Indiana native also reached the end zone on an NFL record 12 interception returns, 1 fumble return, 2 punt returns and 2 kickoff returns. His interception return yards are also an NFL record and his 71 interceptions rank third all time.
    Woodson, a member of the 1990s All-Decade Team, was named to the Pro Bowl 11 times; a record for a defensive back and in 1994 was one of only five active players to be named to the NFL's 75th Anniversary Team. The others were Jerry Rice, Joe Montana, Reggie White and Ronnie Lott.

Rod Woodson NFL HOF

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Pro Bowl #2 and Counting JoeThomas's Avatar
    i cant remember who i predicted but i know i said rod, bruce, and hayes haha.

Thread Information