Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Will the Steelers win their next 3 games???

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    colts-hater

Will the Steelers win their next 3 games???

And get to 5-5 going into Baltimore on November 26th. This is virtually there only shot realistically they have to get back into this race in the AFC North when you break things down for this team from top to bottom. The next 3 games are home against Denver and New Orleans and at Cleveland before going into Baltimore Thanksgiving weekend. The only saving grace that will keep the Steelers still in this race is they have 5 division games left. Most importantly 2 head to head meetings still left with the Ravens. And you would think two very winnable games with the Browns.

But after yesterday losing to Oakland no game anymore this year is a gimmie win for the Steelers. The Ravens the next 3 games leading up to that meeting have Cincy this week at home, they go to Tennessee, and then host Atlanta the week before they play the Steelers. The Bengals next 3 games are very tough they have to go to Baltimore this week, they then play the Chargers in Cincy, and then go to New Orleans the following week. My point being if the Steelers can get to 5-5 and have both Cincy or Baltimore lose just even 1 game here a piece the next 3 weeks they will have a shot to get back in the race just because they have 2 head to head meetings left with Baltimore and 1 with Cincy at seasons end who still has a brutal schedule at the end of the year. Good news is somebody will lose this week either Baltimore or Cincy so that will help the Steelers out someway. You probably want Cincy to beat Baltimore this week so that they both will be 5-3 and if the Steelers can win this week it puts them at 3-5 still two games back of both with 5 division games to play and 2 of those being head to head with Baltimore. Even if Cincy beats the Ravens this week in Baltimore I still think they are capable of losing many more games the rest of the way because their schedule is very very tough. Baltimore has a tough schedule as well in late November having to play the Steelers and go to Cincy and KC back to back weeks on the road, and then play the Steelers here in Pittsburgh on Christmas Eve.

The bottom line is though for any of this to matter the Steelers have GOT to start winning here this week and as Ive said just find someway to get to 5-5 going into Baltimore here in 3 weeks. I believe if they can do that then enough stuff will happen over the next 3-4 weeks with Cincy and Baltimore losing 1 or 2 games each based on the schedule that it will still give us a realistic chance to win the AFC North if we somehow can find ourselves after that pathetic loss yesterday and turn this season around. But anyway I think this is a real good post here and it really breaks down what needs to happen for the Steelers to have any shot of making the playoffs the next 3 weeks or so. The only thing that is helping the Steelers now is 5 division games left. Its making them hang around by a thread. Let me know what you guys think about all these scanerios and if you agree or disagree.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Denver is going to be pissed off after losing to the Colts, especially their defense got torched by Manning. The saints are good but I think still year or so ahead from being dominant. Basically it comes down to, not "can we win" but we have to. If the season isn't lost now, it will be if we dont win next week.

At this point I can't say for sure either way if we're going to win, because this team has proven us all wrong nearly this entire season.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    That's another thing with the Steelers this year is they seem to be playing these teams that have been coming off tough losses every week this year. Its happened 3 times this year so far we played the Chargers after they lost to Baltimore in the last minute,we played Atlanta after they lost a tough game at home to the Giants, and now this coming week were playing the Broncos after a heartbreaking loss at home in the final seconds to Indy. I know that is no excuse for how poorly the Steelers are playing but the breaks this year in the schedueling or just anywhere period are not at all falling the Steelers way period.

We always seem to be catching a team that HAS to win the week we play them much like the Broncos have to do this coming week. Like you said though Top its not a matter anymore if can we win its like you said we have too win. The Cincy loss yesterday is the only thing right now I think keeping the Steelers on life support. Because even though they lost the head to head with Cincy they are still only 2 games behind them and as I mentioned Cincy has a brutal schedule still remaining. That being said, as I mentioned if we can somehow get to 5-5 going into Baltimore in 3 weeks with 2 head to head games left with them I believe we still have a shot. Because after we play Baltimore we have Tampa and Cleveland at home, and Baltimore has to play Cincy and Kansas City on the road back to back weeks. So the next game the Steelers really can afford to lose if there going to lose another game at all this year cannot be until we play Carolina on December 17th. So that would mean they have to win 6 in a row beating Denver,Saints,Browns,Baltimore,Tampa,and Browns again at home to do so. Good news is 4 out of those 6 games are at home.

But the bottom line though is as you said TG if the Steelers lose to Broncos this week and go to 6 losses and fall 4 games behind Baltimore and 3 games behind Cincy then yes its all over. I said it would be over if we lost to Oakland this week, we lose to Denver here this week and fall to 2-6 with 5 conference losses then you can start talking about next year.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Who knows at this point. But it doesn't matter if the Steelers make the playoffs or not. They will be back in 2007. Memo to Ben please stay off the motorcycle in the off-season and try to keep yourself healthy.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We are most definately on life support right now as far as playoffs go. We may very well be out of it already if there is any hope left, its got to come in the form of a win this week, plain and simple.

I like the way we've responded in the past when we absolutely, positively had to win a game, we've usually come through. I'd like to think this team will respond in that same manner this week against Denver...but as was already mentioned, this team has done everything bass ackwards this year so anything is possible, good or bad.

Ben most definately has got to stay healthy and limit any off the field activities to only playing golf I don't think we're going to get him to stop riding though...being a rider is in your blood, its something that you do regardless. Most times when a rider goes down, he doesnt stop riding, so we can only hope he wears his lid and stays careful.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    Yes it does matter. This team is way too talented to be playing this bad and be doing this many stupid things constantly every week to be losing games. Its the same team virtually from last season minus Bettis and El. Same defense and same coaching staff. Nobody in there wildest dreams thought that this team would not make the playoffs this year after winning the Super Bowl. If this team does miss the playoffs this year which is a very strong possibility at this point then its going to have a lot of questions to and some over haul to do come next season. I still am keeping faith though based on what I wrote on the first post with the schedueling that the Steelers can turn this thing around and get some help from Cincy and Balt and at least give themselves a chance going into December to compete for the division still. Remember the things you have to keep in mind as Ive said they still got 5 division games left, 2 head to head with Baltimore who they are only 3 back of, and Baltimore and Cincy still have a lot of tough games remaining and can still lose a lot of games along the way which I think they will. As I said if we can get to 5-5 going into Baltimore in 3 weeks we have a shot. One more loss and season is over.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    No it doesn't matter if the Steelers make the playoffs or not. If they do great. If not oh well and wait till next year.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    I do too TG last year when we had to beat the Bears here to keep our season alive we did and played great. That being said with this Denver team the Steelers CANNOT and I repeat CANNOT turn the ball over this week against this Denver team. Denver is a team this year so far and especially last year that if you turn the ball over against them they will kill you. This is too good of a Denver team coming in here this weekend for the Steelers to play half *** against and make mistakes and turnovers and still expect to win this game like they had chances too yesterday against that pathetic Oakland team. I dont care if their playing here at Heinz Field or not doesnt really matter. If the Steelers turn the ball over this week 2 or 3 times in this game they will lose this game flat out this week to the Broncos. That has go to be stressed more then anything this week by Cowher when he goes over the game plan is that the Steelers under any circumstances cannot turn the ball over this week and expect to win.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We've got 5 divisional games left but if we let the gap between us and Cincy widen by any more of a margin, thats it. We have no choice but to play catch up and try to keep pace with them. We need help from the other teams on their schedule to hand both of them a few losses while we try and catch them.

We've been preaching turnovers all year long, and in nearly every game we still do the same thing, give it away. The broncos are too opportunistic a team to be giving it up. We've seen what lesser defenses have done when we hand them the ball with good field position, but the broncos will exploit and we'll get blown out if we don't hold onto it. We honestly cannot afford even 1 turnover because it could mean the difference in the game.

I hate the thought of giving up on a season, but this team has shown nothing to make us think otherwise...we've been in virtually every game but when push comes to shove we've been getting knocked the hell out. Its one thing to lose 1 close game late in the 2nd half.

My Mood
    colts-hater
    The Steelers I really believe TG will get help from other teams on Cincy's schedule and the Ravens because both teams still have a lot of tough games left here. The Bengals as I wrote earlier the next 3 weeks have to play at Baltimore, then they play San Diego at home and then go to New Orleans. There is no way they will win all of those especially the way there are playing now. The Ravens schedule is a bit easier they host Cincy this week, then go to Tennessee, and then host Atlanta at home which will be a tough game but it is in Baltimore will which give them a slight edge. As I said also before you probably need to root for Cincy to beat the Ravens this week this way that puts both of them at 5-3. I do think Cincy will lose to either San Diego or New Orleans even if they beat Baltimore this Sunday. There is no way they will win 3 in a row Ill be shocked there just not good enough I dont think to win all 3 of those games in a row. Its why I been stressing the Steelers MUST win 3 in a row here leading up to the Baltimore game on November 26th which will make them 5-5 going into that game. Even if Baltimore loses one game going into that game and is 7-3 and the Steelers are 5-5 we still have a chance because we have 2 head to head games with them, and the Ravens schedule after we play them gets very tough compared to our schedule. They have Cincy and Kansas City back to back weeks on the road, while we host Tampa Bay and Cleveland the same weeks. This week though as you said TG will be it either they beat Denver here at Heinz Field which I really believe can carry them to beating the Saints and Browns the next 2 weeks and get them to 5-5 if they do, or the season and all these scanerios can officially get put to rest. The Steelers though MUST get to 5-5 to have any shot at all of getting back into this race. If you look at the scanerios and the schedule as I pointed out you will see why.

Thread Information