Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Prospect worth discussing

Bookmark and Share

Gold Standard
    2 candidates jump off that page for me.

Tyson Jackson is moving up draft boards and I no longer think that he will slip down far enough to be within our range. Too many teams are running the 3-4 defense and this guy is clearly the top 3-4 DE. Hard for me to believe that 31 other teams with at least a dozen running a 3-4 defense will pass on this guy. He is up to 20th overall on scout.com's draft board.

Eric Wood is someone that B&G4vr32 has been talking about as one of his dark horse guys. Love the scouting report here in this article which calls Wood the most versatile lineman in this years draft. Can play guard or center. "He's athletic, with great feet. He does a very good job blocking in the second level. Woods has the make-up to be a perrenial pro bowler in years to come.

The Steelers are going to have some very tough decisions to make. Lots of these guys we like fall somewhere in the middle of a draft round. For example Wood is currently an early to mid 3rd round prospect (80). He won't fall to 96. So do we pick him in the 2nd at (64)? Same thing in the first round. Lots of mid 2nd round players who won't be there by our second pick. Do we trade down to grab these guys for their appropriate value or do we move up? I think Tyson Jackson is clearly off the radar unless we moved up to get him. Lots will depend on who we are able to resign. For example if we resign Max Starks it gives us some wiggle room to perhaps go after a center like Alex Mack or Eric Wood. Still high on Tyronne Green (G) as a 5th or 6th rounder. Love the scouting report from the senior bowl on Green, "delivers the best pop off the line, best pulling guard at the senior bowl". We know the Steelers still love to pull their guards on running plays. Still anticipate a lot more movement after the senior bowl. Most guys are locked into a general draft position but there are always guys who have great combines (Chris Henry comes to mind from last year) that shoot up the boards. You have 5 or 6 of these shooting stars go up the board it just might bump someone else down enough spots to put them within our range. Can't wait to see who we get.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

I'm right there with you on Jackson and Wood. I like them both quite a bit. I'd be happy with Jackson in the first and Wood in the 2nd. It sort of looks like both could be out of reach in each round.

Gold Standard
    Heres a possible scenario that could play out.

Round 1 - 32
    a. package our 1st and 3rd to move up for the following players:
    1. Any of the top 4 OT's - Oher, A. Smith, J. Smith, E. Monroe
    or Tyson Jackson DE

b. stay put
    2. Take Phil Loadholt Ok (OT) or Duke Robinson (G) Ok

Round 2 - 64
    Eric Wood (C) Lou He could compete for the starting jobs at center or either guard position. Hartwig isn't a franchise type of center, he was a stop gap until something better came along.

Round 3 - 96/100
    a. Fenuki Tupou (OT) Ore if we haven't already drafted a tackle.
    or
    b. Sen'Derrick Marks (DT/DE) Aub if we already picked an OT but didn't get Tyson Jackson.

c. Best available kick returner if we didn't move up and still have 2 3rd round picks

Round 4 - 132
    Rashad Johnson (S) Ala or Curtis Taylor (S) LSU We are thin behind Troy and Ryan. AS is on his way out IMO.

Round 5 - 168
    Quinn Johnson (FB) LSU or Darryl Richard (DT/DE) GT

Round 6 - 204
    a. Tyronne Green (G) Aub Best pulling guard in draft
    or
    b. Brannann Southerland (FB) Geo if we didn't get Q. Johnson in 5th. Carey Davis MUST GO he fails at everything a fullback should be good at!

I want the following positions in this years draft:

OT - Oher > A.Smith > Monroe > J.Smith > Loadholt > Britton > Tupou
    G - Robinson > Wood > Green
    C - Mack > Wood
    DE - Jackson > Marks > Richards
    S - Johnson > Taylor
    KR - Thigpen > Williams
    FB - Q.Johnson > Southerland
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-07-2009 at 10:15 PM.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Heres a possible scenario that could play out.

Round 1 - 32
    a. package our 1st and 3rd to move up for the following players:
    1. Any of the top 4 OT's - Oher, A. Smith, J. Smith, E. Monroe
    or Tyson Jackson DE

b. stay put
    2. Take Phil Loadholt Ok (OT) or Duke Robinson (G) Ok

Round 2 - 64
    Eric Wood (C) Lou He could compete for the starting jobs at center or either guard position. Hartwig isn't a franchise type of center, he was a stop gap until something better came along.

Round 3 - 96/100
    a. Fenuki Tupou (OT) Ore if we haven't already drafted a tackle.
    or
    b. Sen'Derrick Marks (DT/DE) Aub if we already picked an OT but didn't get Tyson Jackson.

c. Best available kick returner if we didn't move up and still have 2 3rd round picks

Round 4 - 132
    Rashad Johnson (S) Ala or Curtis Taylor (S) LSU We are thin behind Troy and Ryan. AS is on his way out IMO.

Round 5 - 168
    Quinn Johnson (FB) LSU or Darryl Richard (DT/DE) GT

Round 6 - 204
    a. Tyronne Green (G) Aub Best pulling guard in draft
    or
    b. Brannann Southerland (FB) Geo if we didn't get Q. Johnson in 5th. Carey Davis MUST GO he fails at everything a fullback should be good at!

I want the following positions in this years draft:

OT - Oher > A.Smith > Monroe > J.Smith > Loadholt > Britton > Tupou
    G - Robinson > Wood > Green
    C - Mack > Wood
    DE - Jackson > Marks > Richards
    S - Johnson > Taylor
    KR - Thigpen > Williams
    FB - Q.Johnson > Southerland
    This all starts off really good, but sort of goes down hill after that. The idea of packaging the 1st and 3rd and moving up is very possible. That's how we got Santonio after winning SB 40. In fact, I believe if the Steelers do take a OT in the 1st round (baring somebody falling) it will be by them moving up. There's also the possibility of moving down from #32 and taking Eben Britton or William Beatty. Both would be a reach at #32. If they stay at #32, they will likely be drafting a CB or DE. CB is a much bigger need than most realize, and so is DE. Not for the right now, but for the future. The Steelers are able to be good year after year because they know there's a future to worry about as much as next year. Bryant McFadden is a FA, and I know teams will be throwing big bucks at him. Townsend is really close to retirement. That leaves Ike Taylor and William Gay. At DE, how many more years can we expect Aaron Smith to play? There's already a lack of depth there. Nick Eason is a solid backup, but not sure about him starting.

You have Loadholt there (he probably won't get drafted before the 4th round), and Duke Robinson won't be touched inside the top 50. Don't believe the hype on him.

Ideal draft. (In cases 2-4, they would have to fall slightly)

1. Macho Harris, CB/KR, Virginia Tech
    2. Eric Wood, C/OG, Louisville
    3. Kyle Moore, DE, Southern California
    3. Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon (Supplemental Pick)
    4. Terrence Taylor, DT/NT, Michigan
    5. Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse
    BPA the rest of the way.

I'll honestly be shocked if they don't trade up atleast once somewhere. Really, how many areas is there even a roster spot up for grabs? Remember there's still guys like Ryan Mundy, Arnold Harrison, and a few others who all have a leg up.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I agree with you on Loadholt and I wouldn't think about drafting him until the 3rd round....But 4th round sounds right to me to.....I don't think Britton is that big of a reach at 32....He is projected at a late first/early second prospect.....OT is a big time need on this team especially if Starks, Smith, Essex all leave via free agency.....

Macho Harris is a solid player and he would fill a need at both corner and kick returner....But I wouldn't draft him in the first.......

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    You have Loadholt there (he probably won't get drafted before the 4th round), and Duke Robinson won't be touched inside the top 50. Don't believe the hype on him.

Ideal draft. (In cases 2-4, they would have to fall slightly)

1. Macho Harris, CB/KR, Virginia Tech
    2. Eric Wood, C/OG, Louisville
    3. Kyle Moore, DE, Southern California
    3. Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon (Supplemental Pick)
    4. Terrence Taylor, DT/NT, Michigan
    5. Tony Fiammetta, FB, Syracuse
    BPA the rest of the way.

I'll honestly be shocked if they don't trade up atleast once somewhere. Really, how many areas is there even a roster spot up for grabs? Remember there's still guys like Ryan Mundy, Arnold Harrison, and a few others who all have a leg up.

Kyle Moore in the third? He will probably go 7th round or undrafted. Currently ranked 233 on scout.coms board. Plus he is undersized for a 3-4 DE.

I like Marcus Thigpen at KR......the dude is a badass!

Looks like we do agree on a couple players.

I wouldn't be too upset if we took a CB if we don't resign McFadden.

And I think you are wrong about Loadholt, he might not go in the first but he will not be around by the third. I think he could be too big for LT but he could make a badass RT. Dude can move bodies out the way period! No doubt our backs would love running behind the lanes he would open.

I also think we could do better than Terrance Taylor. The way people ran right through Michigans defense this year I didn't even realize they had one on the field!

Fiametta works for me except that he is projected mid-fourth. We gotta do something because Carey Davis simply isn't getting it done in any department. Dude is a ****** lead blocker, terrible pass blocker, and for a big guy seems to always go down on first contact and NEVER picks up first downs/touchdowns in short yardage situations.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKP2XSX8_O4[/MEDIA]
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-07-2009 at 11:47 PM.

Duke Robinson remains the best guard in the draft and could easily play Right Tackle as well. If he doesn't go in the first, he won't last deep into the second.

Loadholt is a First Round prospect. He is a massive tackle who may not quite have the feet to play LT but is an incredible drive blocker and is an astounding prospect at RT.

Macho Harris is trash. He went to the Senior Bowl at 5'10'' and does not have the hips to sty with receivers. He is a decent KR and will probably be there in the 3rd round.

I love Marcus Thigpen as a RS/3rd Down Back. He is insanely fast.

Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post
    Duke Robinson remains the best guard in the draft and could easily play Right Tackle as well. If he doesn't go in the first, he won't last deep into the second.

Loadholt is a First Round prospect. He is a massive tackle who may not quite have the feet to play LT but is an incredible drive blocker and is an astounding prospect at RT.

Macho Harris is trash. He went to the Senior Bowl at 5'10'' and does not have the hips to sty with receivers. He is a decent KR and will probably be there in the 3rd round.

i agree with everything except harris being "trash", hes not the best corner prospect but hes not the worst. and hes a phenominaml STer

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcityrockers View Post

Do a little research on Thigpen if you haven't heard of him. He is 5'9 199lb and has ludicrous speed. Read through Indiana's game summaries and you will find them littered with big plays by Marcus Thigpen. I don't even see him ranked on scout.coms draft board so perhaps he can be had late on day 2 or even as a UFA.

[MEDIA]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zjw1TKNALbM[/MEDIA]
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 02-08-2009 at 12:46 AM.

Thread Information