Results 1 to 3 of 3

Thread: Great Article on scout.com Discusses KEI

          
   
   
    Bookmark and Share
  1. #1
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170

    Great Article on scout.com Discusses KEI

    What is KEI? It is a formula that Pat Kirwan came up with when he was a scout/FO executive that is still used today. KEI - stands for Kirwans Explosiveness Index. The way it works is you combine a players vertical jump, broad jump, and bench press to come up with a players KEI. The article then goes on to compare 4 athletes it lists as Athletes A thru D and their stats coming out of college, all were very similar. Height, weight, sacks, tackles for loss, and forced fumbles very close between the 4. When you take the performance of these 4 athletes at the combine and come up with the KEI, the player who stood out was the player we selected. These were the names of the players used in this example:

    Anthony Spencer = 71.80
    Lamar Woodley = 77.30
    Tim Crowder = 71.75
    Charles Johnson = 75.80

    Very good article. Talks about 80% of the scouting is already done prior to the combine and the remaining 20% is done in the background checks, combine results, and player interviews. The KEI will be figured out as a result of combine results from the drills. Apparently, all the teams use this KEI to help them make their decisions.

    http://pit.scout.com/2/838814.html

    This link might not work if you are not a member of the site. It is a paysite.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

  2. #2
    K Train's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    In hell
    Posts
    18,670
    i hate kirwin lol

  3. #3
    Gold Standard
    BlackGold4vr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    China Lake, Ca
    Posts
    5,170
    Its a great article if you can read it. And the KEI measurable seems to make a lot of sense to me. According to the article it is used by all teams. The article breaks these 4 players down in 3 separate tables and doesn't tell you who is who until the last table. Nobody can argue that out of those 4 players that we made the right choice!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 02-04-2009, 11:11 PM
  2. Great debate? Super Steelers, or Patriots?
    By Stlrs4Life in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 01-30-2008, 11:35 AM
  3. Great article in the Post Gazette about Tomlin...
    By Troyisabeast_43 in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 09-03-2007, 03:35 PM
  4. Paul Posluszny: scout.com article
    By BlackGold4vr in forum Steelers War Room
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-24-2007, 10:41 PM
  5. Great article on our salary cap situation!
    By BlackGold4vr in forum Steelers Talk
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 02-12-2007, 11:18 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •