Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Some Prospect worth discussing

Bookmark and Share
    Draft Pick
    My Mood
    Impatient
    I see you guys talking about us taking a full back, which I agree that we should. My brother in law however lives in the burgh and has heard them talking numerous times about how they don't want to use a full back in the run game and how they want to remain with going with 2 TE sets. I personally think this is why we didn't have the run game that we've had in the past.

As for drafting, I would love to see us trade up for a top tier tackle. If not, I think we really need to take a look at trading down. I think if we trade down to the mid 2nd, we could take a shot at Britton or even Macho Harris. Neither worth a 1st, but I'd be cool with spending a 2nd on them. Another guy who I personally think would play well in our defense is DE Robert Ayers outta Tennesse. He's only a 1 year starter, but I would like us to take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd. Similiar to what we did with Woodley.

I hear a lot of references to scout.com. They are possibly the worst place to get draft information. They have an agenda when they rank their players. They prefer to have players they highly touted out of high school ranked high.

Phil Loadholt - Will be lucky to get drafted inside of the first 3 rounds. I won't rule out him falling all the way to the 6th round. Chances are he goes in the 4th round. Write it down.

Duke Robinson - Absolutly, possitively won't be drafted any higher than the 50th pick. Write that down too.

Victor Harris is a fringe first round talent. No way he doesn't get drafted inside the first 50 picks.

Kyle Moore will be drafted inside the first 3 rounds. There's a very good chance he's gone by the time the Steelers pick in the 3rd. As for his size, yeah he's a little undersized. But when there's no need to throw him right into the fire, he will have plenty of time to gain 15 pounds. Brett Keisel was 269 when he was drafted. They developed him (like they've been doing for years in Pittsburgh), now look at him.

--- Added 2/11/2009 at 06:24 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas_43 View Post
    I see you guys talking about us taking a full back, which I agree that we should. My brother in law however lives in the burgh and has heard them talking numerous times about how they don't want to use a full back in the run game and how they want to remain with going with 2 TE sets. I personally think this is why we didn't have the run game that we've had in the past.

As for drafting, I would love to see us trade up for a top tier tackle. If not, I think we really need to take a look at trading down. I think if we trade down to the mid 2nd, we could take a shot at Britton or even Macho Harris. Neither worth a 1st, but I'd be cool with spending a 2nd on them. Another guy who I personally think would play well in our defense is DE Robert Ayers outta Tennesse. He's only a 1 year starter, but I would like us to take a shot at him in the 2nd or 3rd. Similiar to what we did with Woodley.
    I see you're on the right page. Trading up for a top tier OT I think is a very, very possible scenario. You also realize there's no need to reach for anybody. So many figure if the top OT's are taken it's a foregone conclusion that they must take Britton. Like you said, Britton simply isn't worth a first round pick. He's raw and a bit of a project. I highly doubt he starts anywhere next year baring injury. So trading down and taking a guy like Britton or William Beatty is another very possible scenario.

You also realize Macho Harris is a damn good player. He looks like a young "poor man's" Rod Woodson to me.

Robert Ayers would translate as a DE.

duke robinson is better than justin blalock who went at the top of the 2nd. i think you might be underestimating just how valued olineman are

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    duke robinson is better than justin blalock who went at the top of the 2nd. i think you might be underestimating just how valued olineman are
    Well, I've been a draftnik since 1989 and I'm a former coach, so I'm quite aware of the value teams place on offensive linemen. So I know interior linemen and LT's aren't so highly coveted. For an interior linemen to get drafted in the first round, they have to be a can't miss prospect.

In Robinson's case, he's just not that great. He's certainly nowhere near what many make him out to be. He plays high and doesn't bend his knees well at all. He doesn't finish off his blocks, and spends quite a bit of time on the ground. I've probably watched Robinson closer than any OL prospect this year. Blalock has become one of the better OG's in the league. He was once touted as a top 15 pick, and should have been. Robinson can't hold a candle to him. Eric Wood from Louisville is the guy I want.

Phil Loadholt is going to end up a 6-8 guard with bad feet. He showed at the Senior Bowl he doesn't even have adequate feet to play RT. He's just big and got a ton of hype last year because he was a junior college all-american before he got to Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    Well, I've been a draftnik since 1989 and I'm a former coach, so I'm quite aware of the value teams place on offensive linemen. So I know interior linemen and LT's aren't so highly coveted. For an interior linemen to get drafted in the first round, they have to be a can't miss prospect.

In Robinson's case, he's just not that great. He's certainly nowhere near what many make him out to be. He plays high and doesn't bend his knees well at all. He doesn't finish off his blocks, and spends quite a bit of time on the ground. I've probably watched Robinson closer than any OL prospect this year. Blalock has become one of the better OG's in the league. He was once touted as a top 15 pick, and should have been. Robinson can't hold a candle to him. Eric Wood from Louisville is the guy I want.

Phil Loadholt is going to end up a 6-8 guard with bad feet. He showed at the Senior Bowl he doesn't even have adequate feet to play RT. He's just big and got a ton of hype last year because he was a junior college all-american before he got to Oklahoma.
    well, ive been alive since 1989 and i know that hype plays a big part in where players get drafted. He may not be that great but the fact remains there is alot of hype around him, hes got good size, good credentials, alot of experience against top competition and could potentially play RT. I would bet that he goes bottom first or early second.

ive siad loadholts footwork is gonna make or break him, but hes a massive man and has alot of hype too so who knows

well, ive been alive since 1989 and i know that hype plays a big part in where players get drafted. He may not be that great but the fact remains there is alot of hype around him, hes got good size, good credentials, alot of experience against top competition and could potentially play RT. I would bet that he goes bottom first or early second.

ive siad loadholts footwork is gonna make or break him, but hes a massive man and has alot of hype too so who knows
    Hype gets players rated highly on draft sites, but teams do their homework. Trust me when I say Robinson won't get drafted in the 1st round because sites like scout.com say he should.

As for his competition, the Big 12 is known for it's prolific offenses and bad defense. Where he did face a solid defense was against Florida. He played horribly. When Oklahoma had the ball, I only watched Robinson.

Quote Originally Posted by darnik44 View Post
    Hype gets players rated highly on draft sites, but teams do their homework. Trust me when I say Robinson won't get drafted in the 1st round because sites like scout.com say he should.

As for his competition, the Big 12 is known for it's prolific offenses and bad defense. Where he did face a solid defense was against Florida. He played horribly. When Oklahoma had the ball, I only watched Robinson.
    you would like to think that teams do their homework....if teams did their homework there would never be a bust or a pro bowler that goes undrafted. some team will take a chance on him, maybe not first....but early second.

hes still got pro days and the combine so we will see i guess

you would like to think that teams do their homework....if teams did their homework there would never be a bust or a pro bowler that goes undrafted. some team will take a chance on him, maybe not first....but early second.

hes still got pro days and the combine so we will see i guess
    I don't really see busts happening because of improper talent evaluation. I thinks it's simply a case of how the player responds once he becomes instantly rich. Think about it. You're a top 20 draft pick and you sign a contract guaranteeing you $20 mil. Most players continue to have that burning desire to be great. Others are at the club with their entourage.

As for undrafted and late rounders becoming pro bowlers, some players are simply overlooked. In fact, there's a lot of players that get overlooked. The difference there is they just don't get looked at, whereas a player a team is considering drafting high get a very long look.

It's been documented that teams holding very high draft picks have gone as far as talking to former high school and grade school classmates in an attempt to get a good idea about the person under the helmet. It seems each year teams do more and more to look inside the players heads and see what makes them tick.

question... what happened to Cieron Black from LSU wasn't he rated as one of the best tackles all year but i have not heard anything about him for a wile now. am i missing something? how could a player fall off the radar so fast?

Quote Originally Posted by $teelersRule View Post
    question... what happened to Cieron Black from LSU wasn't he rated as one of the best tackles all year but i have not heard anything about him for a wile now. am i missing something? how could a player fall off the radar so fast?
    Black was a mid 2nd round RT prospect. Black is only a junior and has decided to go back to LSU for his senior year.

My top 10 OT's for the 2010 Draft...

1. Russell Okung, 6-5, 300, Oklahoma State
    2. Ciron Black, 6-5, 314, Louisiana State
    3. Trinton Sturdivant, 6-5, 300, Georgia#
    4. Sam Young, 6-8, 310, Notre Dame
    5. Trent Williams, 6-5, 305, Oklahoma
    6. Adam Ulatoski, 6-8, 310, Texas
    7. Lee Ziemba, 6-8, 300, Auburn*
    8. Anthony Davis, 6-6, 330, Rutgers*
    9. Matt Reynolds, 6-6, 320, Brigham Young*
    10. Kyle Hix, 6-7, 320, Texas*

Unless Black improves his feet in the off-season, he'll continue to be labeled a RT and will get passed up by a few OT's.

Thread Information