My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Offensive offense fails dominating defense

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pitt.../s_477335.html

By John Harris
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Monday, October 30, 2006

OAKLAND, Calif
    They played a good game and fought the good fight.

By all rights, the Steelers overtaxed defensive players should have been mad as hell at their offensive counterparts in general, and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger in particular, following Sunday's dreadful 20-13 loss to the Oakland Raiders at McAfee Coliseum.

Roethlisberger's play was as maddingly inconsistent, as the Steelers defense was exceptionally consistent.

Roethlisberger had a season-high 301 passing yards with one touchdown, but he tossed a career-high four interceptions -- two of which were returned for Raider touchdowns, including a back-breaking 100-yard return in the fourth quarter.

It was enough to make anyone question whether Roethlisberger was still feeling some of the ill effects from the concussion he suffered a week ago against the Atlanta Falcons.

You really have to hand it to the Steelers defenders, who refused to play the blame game and rat out the offense.

If anything, inside linebacker James Farrior blamed the Steelers defense for allowing Oakland's defense to outscore them, 14-0.

"We got outplayed by their defense," said Farrior, who quietly leads the team in tackles this season.

Replace the first letter in Farrior's last name with a "W" and that would describe his performance against the Raiders.

"Their defense scored two touchdowns," Farrior said. "We didn't score any."

Of the Raiders' two field goals, linebacker Clark Haggans said, "We can't have that. We don't play for them to get field goals. We play to stop them."

Oh, really now.

If it's come down to this for the Steelers, if their defensive players truly believe it's their job to score touchdowns to compensate for yesterday's lack of offense, the 2-5 Steelers are in more trouble than we were led to believe.

The Steelers defense played close to a perfect game against Oakland. The Raiders amassed 98 total yards and only nine first downs -- and won.

A nearly perfect game, not to mention the 3 personal foul penalties that contributed keeping their offense on the field and ours off. Overall they did enough to win, but the offense did nothing to help.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok but last week the defense totally let the offense down. The continuing saga of the 2006 Pittsburgh Steelers has been inconsistent football.

14 points of turnover this week, 21 last week those are sometimes diffcult numbers to overcome and it doesn't help a ball club win many games!

I'm just pissed right now... I can't believe they lost to the freaking Oakland Raiders!!!

One good thing to look at is they still play the Ravens twice so they pick up 2 games there, plus the season ending game against the Bengals. There is a shot at the division still but they are going to need a lot of help!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed
    I think that everybody is just so disheartened at this point, that no one really knows what to say, or how to bolster each other's spirits, or how answer as to what the problem is--since there really is soooo many.

The only certainties of this season are that none of us expected this type of inconsistent sloppy playing out of our guys, and that true fans will still be here at the end of the season, no matter what.

Quote Originally Posted by SteelersWoman View Post
    I think that everybody is just so disheartened at this point, that no one really knows what to say, or how to bolster each other's spirits, or how answer as to what the problem is--since there really is soooo many.

The only certainties of this season are that none of us expected this type of inconsistent sloppy playing out of our guys, and that true fans will still be here at the end of the season, no matter what.
    "soooo many" ... well, how about really only one problem ... like a head coach who should've retired when he got tired. When you have this much sloppy play, and players on offense, defense AND special teams that can't pull it together for one whole game; when you hand opposing teams 30 yards in penalties and can't get in from inside the 20 for one lousy TD against a team that WAS the laughing stock of the NFL, it's time to look at the coach.

Cowher has basically the same talent he had last year and he's obviously doing S*** with it because his heart isn't in it anymore. He doesn't even have the energy to get fired up over STUPID mistakes anymore ... "Just one of those things" he says at the post game press conference. Just one of those things???????

Bah

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    The fire is gone in Cowher

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

Cowher does seem a little more laid back this year and we aren't seeing a whole lot of the chin. The FO won't let him go though because they are loyal and have always stuck by Cowher's side, but then again this whole season and FO decisions have us so we don't really know what will happen

Cowher will be around this season so we should get use to that and hope for the best of what is already an embarrassing season!

Thread Information