Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sweed Is Going To Be Fine

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard
    The year is 1974

The first round draft pick of the Pittsburgh Steelers catches "0" passes in the superbowl.

Matter of fact this rookie only caught 11 passes the entire season.

Sure glad the Steelers didn't give up on Lynn Swann who went on to play his way into the pro football hall of fame.

Patience people, patience.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    reps are overated....dude has been getting reps his whole life....bottom line...u get paid millions to catch a ball....****ing catch it....

a block does not redeem him in my eyes....catch a TD in the SB....then he'll be worth a ****
    bullshit. if we needed him from day one and threw his *** out there in the first game he would be alot further along now, all hes been doing this season is clean up garbage time. last week was his first game, the first time he wasnt coming in off the bench ice cold. the block was nothing, it was just vicious, heath didnt really benefit from it at all. breaking up that pick in the endzone and catching that one on 3rd down made up for the drop, he came though when we needed him to most and these 2 weeks of practice will have him more ready than ever

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Ok do the Steelers resign Nate Washington?....If they do then with Nate as the number 3 again will limit Sweed's reps again next year which will continue to stunt his growth as a WR....I like Nate but the team invested a second round pick in Sweed........Another problem is with Ward's age there isn't alot of depth at our WR core.....So letting go an experienced WR that knows our offense like Nate wouldn't be wise......
    You pretty much touched on it BnG... Ward may walk after this season if all goes well next weekend. Doubtful, but we could set ourselves up well if we locked up Nate. Him Sweed and Holmes would make one hell of a trio if it all pans out. Nate and B-Mac should be top priorities this spring!

--- Added 1/25/2009 at 03:44 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    bullshit. if we needed him from day one and threw his *** out there in the first game he would be alot further along now, all hes been doing this season is clean up garbage time. last week was his first game, the first time he wasnt coming in off the bench ice cold. the block was nothing, it was just vicious, heath didnt really benefit from it at all. breaking up that pick in the endzone and catching that one on 3rd down made up for the drop, he came though when we needed him to most and these 2 weeks of practice will have him more ready than ever
    Dude needs quality game reps. He's the number 4 wr on a superbowl team. Appearantly he isnt hurting us taking up a roster spot. Once he builds a lil confidence and establishes his great work ethic we hear so much about, he should see the field alot more. All that said im still gonna cuss his *** out everyime he make mental error, that doesnt make him a bum... just a rookie

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think your going to see a lot of Sweed next year. It's going to be a sink or swim thing.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by K Train View Post
    i have a feeling that a few teams like the bears are gonna be making a push for nate if he hits the open market, which pisses me off cause we put alot of work into the guy lol. i do think he will be back though just because hes not exactly an elite FA, we should be able to resign him before anyone can make him an offer, he wont be that expensive. That being said, as sweed gets these reps and "quality minutes" he has all the tools to leave nate in the dust, all nate has on him right now is expereience and that wont take much to change
    If the Steelers want Nate back then I would think he will be back.....I'm all for Nate being resigned but I really want Limas Sweed to get the playing time to develop.....I also want Hines Ward back but he should rework his contract to remain with the team....I just wouldn't feel comfortable with this WR core without Ward yet....But if Ward doesn't take that pay cut then I don't think he will be worth his cap number.....I can't remember but is Ward's cap number around 9 million next year? I do think Ward will rework his contract to remain with the team.......This team still needs Ward's leadership and I think a couple more years with Ward working with Sweed would be a big help in Sweed's development......

One last point if Nate isn't resigned then a WR must be taken sometime in this upcoming draft......Going into 2009 with an aging Ward, Holmes, and a still developing Sweed would be a bit of a concern......

--- Added 1/25/2009 at 04:34 PM ---

Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    reps are overated....dude has been getting reps his whole life....bottom line...u get paid millions to catch a ball....****ing catch it....

a block does not redeem him in my eyes....catch a TD in the SB....then he'll be worth a ****
    Mark it down Tee, Sweed will have 3 catches for 75 yards in the Super Bowl with a TD.....The TD will be a 40+ yard bomb from Ben.....

im not trying to predict his stats but i do expect him to get some work, i dont think ward is gonna be as ready as he makes everyone think, but hell make the cards prepare for ward

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    One last point if Nate isn't resigned then a WR must be taken sometime in this upcoming draft......Going into 2009 with an aging Ward, Holmes, and a still developing Sweed would be a bit of a concern......

Ramses Barden in round 2. Currently projected around pick #66

Barden has been a handful for every team he faced this year. Consider that Barden came in Saturday with 55 receptions, over 1,000 receiving yards and 15 touchdowns, including a touchdown in every game and one in 30 of 44 career games.
    At 6-foot-6, 227 pounds Barden is a receiver who is hard to miss. To put his size into perspective, consider the fact that by comparison, Terrell Owens is 6-foot-3 and 218 pounds while Larry Fitzgerald is 6-foot-3 and weighs-in at 220 pounds.
    We could use another big receiver who gives opponents matchup problems.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    Ramses Barden in round 2. Currently projected around pick #66

We could use another big receiver who gives opponents matchup problems.
    Yea I know about Ramses Barden and I have been tracking him......I don't know if I would take him in the 2nd round.....I think there is also bigger needs then WR in the 2nd round.....I think drafting a WR that can serve as a kick returner is the ideal way to go....Mike Thomas from Arizona might be small but he is fast and is a big play guy......He also can return kicks....I also like Jarrett Dillard from Rice.....I think he can be a Wes Welker type of move the chains on under neath routes WR.......But I wouldn't be against the Steelers drafting Ramses Barden....The kid is talented....

Gold Standard
    I'm just thinking about how nice it would be to have Holmes - Sweed - Barden
    lined up on those 3 receiver sets. Who you gonna double? Oops! You forgot about Heath Miller.

I would also like to see the Steelers sign Hines Ward as a WR coach when he is done playing. He plays the position like Steeler fans have grown accustomed to and could teach it to our young guys.
    Last edited by BlackGold4vr; 01-25-2009 at 06:20 PM.

Draft Pick
    My Mood
    Impatient
    I would also like to see the Steelers sign Hines Ward as a WR coach when he is done playing. He plays the position like Steeler fans have grown accustomed to and could teach it to our young guys.
    I agree with that. I think Ward would be a great mentor for Sweed, and anyone else we draft along the way.

Thread Information