Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: WOW!!! Todays Beaver County (PA) Times

Bookmark and Share

WOW!!! Todays Beaver County (PA) Times

This article actually kinda makes sense... due to our MONSTEROUS schedule in 08 and how much help we need in the draft/free agency, the reporter kinda has a point. If we go 8-8 next year "steeler nation" would be in a frenzy!!!! If we went out and spent a lil cash on a high price player or two ie: Faneca, Roy Williams, Randy Moss or *gulp* Adam "Pacin heat-man" Jones, went 10-6 or better and earned another trip to the playoffs, all would be good!!! So will we ever get with the times so to speak and start shelling out for top flight players!?!?!?

Taking risks not the Steelers' 'way'
    ADVERTISEMENT

Published: Monday, February 4, 2008 2:56 PM EST
    The Steelers could significantly upgrade their team with two very easily made moves.

But they won’t, because it wouldn’t be the “Steeler way.”

Move No. 1: The Steelers should sign free-agent receiver Randy Moss.

Move No. 2: The Steelers should trade for cornerback Pacman Jones pending clarification on when the NFL will reinstate him and resolution of his remaining legal troubles. The Tennessee Titans have stated their desire to deal Jones.

Am I nuts? Maybe. But the Steelers won’t do what I suggest anyway. The organization prides itself on not tolerating bad actors. (Then again, neither Moss nor Jones ever shot at a police helicopter like the late Ernie Holmes. Wasn’t Jerome Bettis considered a problem child before the Steelers got him from St. Louis? Wasn’t Bam Morris a Steeler when they found four kilos of marijuana and one kilo of cocaine in his car? And how about the gunplay at Cedrick Wilson’s house the other day?)

Some admire that unofficial policy. But how many times has it kept the Steelers from the Super Bowl? The Steelers are great at assembling the foundation of a good team, but won’t add the final (costly) piece. Whether because of morals or money, the Steelers have reached just two Super Bowls since 1980. That’s simply not enough.

It’s laughable when the fans act like they approve of the Steelers’ “policy.” Why should fans care about anything but winning?

Ben Roethlisberger wants a tall receiver. Moss isn’t a tall receiver, he’s the tall receiver. He’s 30, and can obviously still play. If the Steelers get him, the Patriots lose him.

Jones, 24, is totally insane. But so what? The Steelers should do their Christian duty and straighten out that young man. Why must the troublemakers always be avoided? Why must the door always slam shut? Why can’t it be about rehabilitation just once?

Jones is an above-average corner with the potential to be a lot more. Jones had three punt-return touchdowns in 2006, so he would fill another important need. The Titans are aching to dump Jones and would likely let him go dirt cheap.

Isn’t Hines Ward a troublemaker? He just took potshots at his own quarterback in the media and has often aired grievances in similar fashion. Ward made more trouble in the Steelers’ locker room this past season than Moss did in the Patriots’. Why do the Steelers and Steelers fans embrace this particular malcontent while spurning others?

Don’t fool yourself: The Steelers don’t pull the trigger on big-money acquisitions because of cash, not character. The perceived morals clause is a nice PR out.

Some considered Bill Belichick ill-advised for taking a chance on Moss. But that worked out well for the Patriots, didn’t it? Jones is a lesser probability, a longer shot, but nothing ventured, nothing gained. Given the Steelers’ difficult schedule for 2008 — and an absolute plethora of problem spots — this is a team that needs to take a chance or two.

If I were a Steelers fan, I’d be tired of underachieving. They’re too often pretty near, but not plumb. The Steelers never take a risk, so they rarely get a payoff.

Moss seems to have stabilized his career. He’s a reliable commodity once more.

Jones might come to Pittsburgh and implode once and for all. Or he might realize he’s at the Last Chance Saloon (and Strip Club), pick up the pieces of his shattered career, realize his potential and become one of the NFL’s all-time feel-good stories.

Wouldn’t it be nice to have that happen in Pittsburgh? Wouldn’t it be even nicer if the Steelers reaped the benefits?

When the Steelers go 6-10 this coming season — and rest assured, that is a distinct possibility — will you feel better that, as always, they took the high road?

Not really. But I bet you’ll talk yourself into it.

Mark Madden hosts a sports talk show 3-7 p.m. weekdays on ESPN Radio 1250.

Reppin' 724
    I really hate Mark Madden, but this article make s a little bit of sense. I could see Moss flourishing here, and it gives us a chance to use a draft pick on a project WR, instead of finding someone who can step in right away.

Jones I'm not so keen on. I don't think he would affect the team with his behavior (the Titans still made the playoffs) I just don't want to see us waste money on a player who might not play, although he would solve our return woes.

I know people here will be like "no way", but this would help the team immensely, and Moss wants a ring before he retires. You think Brady hit Moss a lot? Ben would probably throw for 40+ TD's with Moss, Holmes, Ward, and Washington.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Pacman Jones wouldn't set 1 foot inside a Steeler complex, the Rooney's would never sign a guy like this and Madden a nuckin futs if he ever thinks we would. He nuckin futs to begin with and I can't most of his stuff anyways.

The only thing I'll concede to him in this article is this..

But they won’t, because it wouldn’t be the “Steeler way.”
    the "Steeler Way" hasn't gotten us **** in the last 5 years atleast because we haven't drafted anything good on day 2 since then. If you're going to build your team through the draft then you better be damn good at it and we haven't been for awhile now. There are some things that are great about being stuck on tradition and history but this way of avoiding FA like the plague is not one of them and we suffer because of it. Come out of the stone age Art and actually do something with some of these good players available. !

As far as Moss goes, after showing what he did this year I wouldn't mind having him, he proved he's matured and has grown up...that being said we'll never spend the money on a player like this because of what I mentioned above.

The Steelers organization is definitely one that could turn a bad man good... case in point San'turd'io Holmes

My Mood
    saints-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Pacman Jones wouldn't set 1 foot inside a Steeler complex, the Rooney's would never sign a guy like this and Madden a nuckin futs if he ever thinks we would. He nuckin futs to begin with and I can't most of his stuff anyways.

The only thing I'll concede to him in this article is this..

the "Steeler Way" hasn't gotten us shiat in the last 5 years atleast because we haven't drafted anything good on day 2 since then. If you're going to build your team through the draft then you better be damn good at it and we haven't been for awhile now. There are some things that are great about being stuck on tradition and history but this way of avoiding FA like the plague is not one of them and we suffer because of it. Come out of the stone age Art and actually do something with some of these good players available. !

As far as Moss goes, after showing what he did this year I wouldn't mind having him, he proved he's matured and has grown up...that being said we'll never spend the money on a player like this because of what I mentioned above.
    What happened to Randy Moss in the playoffs and for most part of the Super Bowl though?? He pretty much was a non factor. I really believe that rumor or myth about Randy Moss being a jinx or a curse to a team is true. Case and point this years Pats and the Vikes of 1998 who broke all sorts of records as well with Randy Moss and never won a championship. Moss didnot even make an attempt to jump for that last ball Brady threw up to him on 4th and 20 with the game and season on the line. Moss is a great receiver and does make the big plays, but does he seems like he never steps up or makes them in the playoffs and big games when you really need him too.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    What he did do though for the Pats during the playoffs is the same thing that Plax did for the Giants in the super bowl...he took pressure off the other WR's to be able to make plays because everybody double teams Moss. Now granted Brady didn't have time to do anything because of the pass rush ..LOL.

You do need your big play makers to step up in big games and make plays I'll give you that, Plax did it against the Packers mainly because he was 1 on 1 all night long but you saw the Pats double and triple team Plax all day in the Super Bowl and he was a non factor until the last play of the game on that TD drive.

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Randy Moss on the Steelers would be sweet, but...there would be major issues I could tell you that. The last really good draft pick the Steelers made was Ben I guess. Heath Miller is pretty good but he really didn't do anything this year. Ben should have been in the Pro Bowl in 2004-2005 also.

It's not Randy's fault Brady was on his *** all day, Randy is a deep guy and it takes time for those routes to open up deep and Brady didn't have that time.
    The few shots Brady had open deep he threw some terrible balls, I think Tom was shook up the whole game. I don't know if Randy would come here but I would love for us to get Pacman. He's a rising corner and a good return man.
    I think he would benefit by being around our guys so they can show him how to conduct himself in a professional matter. With that being said, it wil be a cold day in Hell before we get either one.
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owner.NASHA\My Documents\My Pictures\steelers-logan%20large.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Yea this team could sign Randy Moss and Pac Man but they still would need to upgrade their OL.....Even those two signings wouldn't be enough to put this team over the top without a quality OL...lol

Ok the team also let Plax go since they couldn't afford Hines and Plax....But now this team should sign Moss with Wards contract still on the books...Plus Troy's and also Big Ben and his contract extension.....

The Steelers signing Randy Moss is a pipe dream.....I rather have TO anyway...lol
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 02-05-2008 at 08:22 PM.

My Mood
    Angry
    Mark Madden is an Idiot and it's a shame this garbage made it into my hometown newspaper.

Moss might have been a good soldier in New England this past season but once an ***...always an ***-not to mention he's going to want $8-$9 million to sign him.
    Pacman Jones?? He's been out of football for over a year...a continuous headache plus there isn't enough strip clubs in the Pittsburgh area to keep him amused.

Thread Information