Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Browns Moves Put Steelers On Defensive

Bookmark and Share
    SA Affiliate - Sports Jabber Deb's Avatar

Browns Moves Put Steelers On Defensive

Browns Moves Put Steelers On Defensive

We can debate the long-term wisdom of the Browns' decision to give up the entire first day of their 2008 draft, but make no mistake, the moves the Browns have made in the past couple of weeks will give the Steelers plenty of problems when they teams play twice next season.

Last year Cleveland had a good offense, thanks to Derek Anderson, an outstanding offensive line and a solid receiver corps, but its defense was several steps behind, thanks in part to an extremely mediocre defensive line. That was a big reason the Steelers ended up winning the division while the Browns were sitting home come playoff time.

But by adding Shaun Rogers and Corey Williams, Cleveland appears to have fixed the defensive line problems. If they can find a better complement to Kamerion Wimberly at outside linebacker they should have most of their defensive problems licked.

Rogers especially should give Steelers fans, and Willie Parker, reasons to worry from now until September. Although he's not always the most motivated player, Rogers is a nimble 340 pounds, capable of destroying running plays and also sacking the quarterback. And now he'll be playing nose tackle, he'll be lining up over the Steelers center. As of today, that's still Sean Mahan, the same center who got picked up and tossed into the backfield by nose tackles around the league last year. With little cap room, the Steelers don't seem capable of really fixing their center problem this offseason (unless Kendall Simmons is a significantly better center than guard), which means there's plenty of reasons to worry that Rogers is going to create havoc when the Steelers face the Brownies next year.

LINK

They are still the brownies !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    The only problem, however, is that when teams start packaging a bunch of draft picks, they're basically saying, "we're playing for next season; we'll worry about the future, um, in the future." Fair enough. The only problem is that if Williams or Rogers don't work out, the team is out a lot of coin and a second- or third-rounder.
    That says it all right there. I'm pretty confident we'll fix our OL problems and the Brownies will realize that trading your future for "now" is not the way to be successful in the NFL.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    just another year of the Browns fans yapping about how great they are and how they'll win the division, they are better than we are....

Get over it guys, you haven't even played a down yet and already they will crowning themselves division champs.

That thread title makes me want to

yeah im snoozing on this one too... I like Rogers alot and Corey Williams had a "solid" year with GB... but this team is "to me" a flash in the pan team, much like the 05-06 bengals!!! Last year was as good as it gets for the browns due to the fact that there will be injurys and they still dont have depth... They will be a good team but i still dont expect them to be a "serious" contender... Being 2nd place in the AFCN in 08 wont mean much as the ravens and bungles will prob. regress even further than last year!!!!

My Mood
    panthers-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    yeah im snoozing on this one too... I like Rogers alot and Corey Williams had a "solid" year with GB... but this team is "to me" a flash in the pan team, much like the 05-06 bengals!!! Last year was as good as it gets for the browns due to the fact that there will be injurys and they still dont have depth... They will be a good team but i still dont expect them to be a "serious" contender... Being 2nd place in the AFCN in 08 wont mean much as the ravens and bungles will prob. regress even further than last year!!!!
    I agree not having any draft picks in the first 3 rounds it will hurt the Browns depth wise not only this year but for years to come if these free agents they signed in Stallworth and Williams and Rogers. The Browns keep in mind lost Lee Bodden as well one of their better corners. So while the Steelers schedule might be the toughest in the league next year I think they still are the team to beat right now in this division until the Browns beat the Steelers on the field and prove otherwise. Derek Anderson has yet to prove himself so will see if this guy is for real next year or a flash in the pan. That will determine a lot on how far the Browns go and improve for next year.

Starter
    I do think that we shouldn't take this team lightly, and while I am sure we will still own this division, the browns are really the best competition our division can give us. I have a feeling it will probably be: Steelers
    Browns
    Bengals
    Ravens

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Wow they had such a great season winning against only ONE team with a better than .500 record. WOW! Over rated!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Quote Originally Posted by SteelerSteve View Post
    I do think that we shouldn't take this team lightly, and while I am sure we will still own this division, the browns are really the best competition our division can give us. I have a feeling it will probably be: Steelers
    Browns
    Bengals
    Ravens
    I agree they give us fits at the end of the year this past year and whos to say they won't do it again this year. They have everyone back. I think they be good enough to win the division, but we are better. The Bungles won't put up a fight and the Rats are in a transition year. the Browns are the only team that can challenge us right now.

I think it'll be:
    -Steelers
    -Browns
    -Ravens
    -Bengals

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Starter
    Quote Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
    I agree they give us fits at the end of the year this past year and whos to say they won't do it again this year. They have everyone back. I think they be good enough to win the division, but we are better. The Bungles won't put up a fight and the Rats are in a transition year. the Browns are the only team that can challenge us right now.

I think it'll be:
    -Steelers
    -Browns
    -Ravens
    -Bengals
    Yeah, I am really torn between who will be worse, the Bengals or the Ravens? the funny thing is that these teams were considered to be the two fighting for the division this season and the Steelers and Browns would be the ones fighting for the scraps.

Thread Information