STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns

Leftwich an ace in the hole...

Leftwich an ace in the hole for Steelers
    Thursday, January 1, 2009
    By Teresa Varley
    Steelers.com

Ben Roethlisberger missed his second day of practice on Wednesday as the team is taking precautions after he suffered a concussion against the Cleveland Browns.

Roethlisberger is expected to start in the AFC Divisional Playoff game at Heinz Field on January 11, but the Steelers do have an ace in the hole just in case with Byron Leftwich.

“He has been a blessing to us. He really has,” said head coach Mike Tomlin. “That is one of the things you do think about when you look around and you see that guy who has franchise quarterback experience, playoff starting quarterback experience. He has been the guy; those shoes are comfortable to him. He is one of the guys that when something happens you look around and you are going to throw him into the game, he doesn’t have that far away look. He’s a been there, done that guy. “

Leftwich came in against the Browns after Roethlisberger’s injury and immediately led the team on a scoring drive, taking it into the end zone himself on an eight-yard run.

“He loves that opportunity to deliver for this team,” said Tomlin. “I think this team is very comfortable with him when he gets called upon. So it has been a tremendous blessing to have him on our football team and aside from what he does inside the white lines when called upon, he is a very good teammate, very good at practice, and very good in the locker room.”

Leftwich signed with the Steelers during training camp after Charlie Batch suffered a broken shoulder in the preseason. He had a short time to learn the offense, but it didn’t take him long to earn the respect of his teammates who have confidence in him if he is called upon in the post-season.

“He’s done everything we’ve asked him to do,” said wide receiver Hines Ward. “He’s well-liked in the locker room. Guys want to go out there and compete, scratch, claw, do whatever they can to try to go out there and make the game easier for him. But it’s great to have a guy like Byron on our team. He’s been in situations like that. The more and more you get your reps, if his number is called, we have confidence in him getting the job done.”

Just like any competitor Leftwich would like more playing time, but that doesn’t mean he isn’t happy with his role with the Steelers.

“I wouldn’t change anything in the world just to be part of this kind of team,” said Leftwich. “To be a part of these players and their mindset and focus on winning football games. I’m glad to be a part of that.”
    Chemistry is an ingredient that gets little attention this time of year as it is assumed to have made it this far. It's good to see it is there all the way through none-the-less.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    We've been lucky really since the Cowher era was just starting to almost always have good backup QB's that could come in and play when needed. Guys like Tomczak, Batch, Tommy Gun (well sort of..LOL) and now Leftwich. If need be he can come in and move the ball for us and keep the game alive instead of just tanking with an inexperienced rookie QB who hasn't played yet.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Bryon has turned out to be very valuable, the only question i have is if Ben starts the game sunday an doesn't do well how long will it take Tomlin to put Byron in? tommy gun had one good year that's all ,we have had life long back ups starting since Bradshaw left.

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by 60 Minute Man View Post
    Bryon has turned out to be very valuable, the only question i have is if Ben starts the game sunday an doesn't do well how long will it take Tomlin to put Byron in
    Thats what I'm wondering too. Ben CAN'T be turning the ****ing ball over...end of story. I dont want to see any one and done's here, no matter who we face. We are due for a playoff win this year after such a tough season and still managing to make the playoffs as a #2.

Lets do this!

Time will tell but i really think Ben will start i hope he does but if he doesn't i have faith in Byron

Yeah and when we get Batch back we will have 2 reliable back ups to call on. I personally would take Batch over Byron.

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    We've been lucky really since the Cowher era was just starting to almost always have good backup QB's that could come in and play when needed. Guys like Tomczak, Batch, Tommy Gun (well sort of..LOL) and now Leftwich. If need be he can come in and move the ball for us and keep the game alive instead of just tanking with an inexperienced rookie QB who hasn't played yet.
    right. except here's a problem... when will the coaches decide to yank ben if he turns into the turnover king?
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Buzzed
    Quote Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
    Yeah and when we get Batch back we will have 2 reliable back ups to call on. I personally would take Batch over Byron.
    lol no man, Byron is gone after this season. He signed a 1 year deal...and he wants to be a starter wherever he goes, not a back-up.

Banned
    Speaking of turnovers. Did you guys see what the Jets were saying about Favre? Specifically Thomas Jones. NOBODY likes turnovers and dont think for one minute the Steelers arent thinking like that too. Byron is a blessing. The overall execution is better when hes in the game and the offense moves better and there hasnt been any turnovers. I know one thing come next week Ben better be in practice, he more than anyone needs to work out the kinks. Last time he didnt practice it showed.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Quote Originally Posted by kgreen View Post
    I highly doubt they keep both for $$ reasons.

I'm A "Champion"

Thread Information