Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers' running game won't stand

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Steelers' running game won't stand

PITTSBURGH -- If the playoffs are here, Bruce Arians knows what people in Pittsburgh are thinking. (No you don't, not even a clue!)

It's time for the Steelers' old reliables, a smothering defense and a pound-it-out running game. Just like the good old days of the 1970s, when the Steelers won four Super Bowls in six seasons.

Arians, the Steelers' offensive coordinator, wonders if it's not time for some new thinking. (It took you 17 F*ck'n weeks to figure that out! )

"It's different in Pittsburgh because people believe that if you run it 30 times, you win. Well, OK, let's go kneel down three times and we'll win," Arians said Wednesday.
    "But while I've been here, we didn't win any Super Bowls that way. I know how we won it, and No. 7 (Ben Roethlisberger) won it for us, offensively (in the 2005 season)."

The Steelers' offense became uncharacteristically reliant on the pass this season, partly because running back Willie Parker “a 1,200-yard rusher each of the previous three seasons“ injured a knee in September and has lacked his usual speed and cutback ability.

Their 460 rushing attempts this season were the fewest they've had since 2003, when they ran 446 times with former Arena League quarterback Tommy Maddox leading the offense. Their 3.7 yards per carry average also was their lowest since 2003, when they averaged 3.3.

Until Parker ran for 116 yards Sunday against the Browns in what essentially was a tune-up game, he had only one 100-yard game since the second week of the season. Arians understands the falloff in the running game created nervousness for those who prefer the Steelers to win the traditional way.

Arians said they shouldn't fret. The forward pass, he recalled, has been perfectly legal for more than a century now.

The Steelers' Super Bowl run three years ago was anything but that, Arians pointed out, remembering how no Steelers back gained 60 yards in their first three playoff games before Parker ran for 93 yards against Seattle, with 75 yards on a single play.

"I was in all those game plan meetings, and none of which was to run the ball, or we wouldn't have won the Super Bowl," said Arians, the wide receivers coach from 2004-06. "We were out to score points and get them as fast as we could and then see if we could run it. And we didn't run it very good at Denver, and we didn't run it very well in Indianapolis, but we threw it real good, and we scored a lot of points. When it's all said and done, that's still the game."

It will be the game again when the Steelers play their divisional playoff game Jan. 11, even though Roethlisberger didn't practice this week because of concussion.
    While Parker showed occasional bursts against the Browns, his 34-yard TD run Sunday was his longest this season. He was limited to 113 yards in his previous three games, and held below 50 yards five times.

"We don't have Jerome (Bettis)," Arians said. "We do have Willie, we do have Mewelde (Moore), we've got some good backs. We do know how to run the ball satisfactorily “ not great “ but satisfactorily."

Arians doesn't doubt Roethlisberger will be rested, ready and healthy for the divisional game, despite being hurt Sunday. Roethlisberger's injury gave backups Byron Leftwich and Dennis Dixon more snaps than usual in practice this week.

"He'll be fine," Arians said. "And if he happens not to be, we won't change. We'll just run what we run and be who we are."
    And that's not a run-heavy team, not like the Steelers of before."But it definitely felt good (to run the ball Sunday), going into the playoffs you want to have your run game clicking," left tackle Max Starks said. "We already know we have the passing game down. You're going to need both aspects to be successful."
    Just listening to this guy talk scares the hell out of me.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Tomlin needs to BA and get back to playing STEELER football

My Mood
    Addicted
    Man what an waste of an Offensive Coordinator

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns

He's either going to be hero or a scape goat. There is no other way for this to work out in my mind. The scary thing is, if we win, he will be around again next year.

Tailgate Coordinator
    Another story on the same subject:

Arians: Appearances can deceive in Steelers' running game
    Thursday, January 01, 2009
    By Robert Dvorchak, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Matt Freed/Post-Gazette
    The Steelers' Willie Parker tries to grind out some distance as the Browns' D'Qwell Jackson works to slow him down in the first quarter Sunday.

When the Steelers came out in the I-formation and ground down the Browns with their running game, the appearance was that using a fullback finally re-established the run.
    But those appearances can be deceiving, according to offensive coordinator Bruce Arians, who has been the favorite target of those believing that smash-mouth football was like an old acquaintance that had been forgotten.
    "There was nothing new in that ballgame that we haven't done all season. It just appeared that way because of the lead and the score," Arians said.
    But what about the 100-yard game by the rejuvenated Willie Parker sprung by the blocks of Sean McHugh?
    "The success was not so much due to the I-formation. Willie's TD was the same touchdown run he had in the Super Bowl -- one back, the exact same play. The six or seven plays we ran out of the I, two of which worked, we've run them all year," he added.
    Public opinion to the contrary, there was no loss of confidence in the running game, Arians said.
    "Each game is different. Once we got a 14-point lead, there wasn't any sense in not taking the air out of the ball. We weren't playing Peyton Manning or Drew Brees or anybody else that puts points on the board. That dictates what you do also. If you run, run, run and punt, it's not going to matter. Whenever we've had double-digit leads, you're going to see 30 runs in the second half. We haven't had many of them," he said.
    Yesterday was one of those days that lends appreciation to an indoor practice building. At various times during the day, there was lightning, thunder, snow, blustery winds and hazardous black ice. It was almost as if Father Time was throwing his snowshoes at the year gone by.
    But it was also a time of transition from the old to the new, from the end of one year and the beginning of another, from the end of the regular season to preparation for the playoffs. In Roman mythology, the symbol of that transition was the two-headed god Janus, who could see ahead and look back at the same time and whose name lends itself to the month of January.
    Fans of the Steelers look back to their glory days and think of running the football, especially in the playoffs when it's critical to control the clock and avoid turnovers. But the Steelers don't have a big back like Jerome Bettis, so it's prudent to look ahead to what they can look forward to.
    And it is with a combination of amusement and annoyance that Arians fields questions about formations and game plans.
    "That's football," Arians said. "It's different in Pittsburgh because people believe that if you run it 30 times you automatically win. I was here for the Super Bowl [as the receivers coach]. I think people forget that. I was in all those game plan meetings. We were out to score points, and get them as fast as we could, then see if we could run it. [Ben Roethlisberger] won for us offensively."
    Some of the discussion about the running game has come from within. Parker described the performance as "a get-right game."
    "We can run the football. It's just a matter of doing it," said Parker, who missed last January's playoff loss to Jacksonville with a broken leg.
    The Steelers are 22-3 when Parker runs for 100 yards. And even when the Steelers struggled at times, no one on the offensive line lost confidence in their ability to run the ball.
    "For everybody else on the outside looking through the looking glass, they said, oh, the running game is finally back," said Max Starks. "But it's always been there."
    There would be no better time than the playoffs to showcase it.
    "We've run the ball satisfactorily," Arians said. "Not great, but satisfactorily."
    Looking ahead: The postseason begins

I'm A "Champion"

My Mood
    Angry
    "It's different in Pittsburgh because people believe that if you run it 30 times, you win. Well, OK, let's go kneel down three times and we'll win," Arians said Wednesday.
    "But while I've been here, we didn't win any Super Bowls that way. I know how we won it, and No. 7 (Ben Roethlisberger) won it for us, offensively (in the 2005 season)."

What an Arrogant-Jackass-Idiot!!!

The Steelers won the Superbowl in '05 because they were able to run the ball the entire season, eat the clock and almost always put the games on ice.

Ben did his part in '05 but he wasn't the main cog that took the Steelers all the way.

Arians has got to go and Tomlin needs to tell him to STFU for the rest of the playoffs!!!

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    So I guess that super bowl win we got a few years ago had absolutely nothing to do with Bettis running the ball or the defense? My God does this goof actually believe what he's trying to sell to us?

There's no doubt we wouldn't have gotten to the super bowl with Ben leading the team but to say he's the reason we did it all? this just burns me up and reinforces that this joker must be hitting the biggest bong on the planet before he puts a game plan together.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 01-02-2009 at 12:03 AM.

Banned
    Arians was on the staff in 05. I thought he was a lying sack when he said all that crap about the one back big gains. Then I went and rewatched the browns game and sure enough ALL big runs were in the one back formation except willies long one in the 2nd half (Limas called for holding)

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by Scalaid6 View Post
    Arians was on the staff in 05. I thought he was a lying sack when he said all that crap about the one back big gains. Then I went and rewatched the browns game and sure enough ALL big runs were in the one back formation except willies long one in the 2nd half (Limas called for holding)
    I understand what your saying, but that team is a bad team to judge against, they suck.

I do like Shaun McHue as a FB, he is a pass catching threat as well, so the veratility would help. I saw this kid play in High School 3 or 4 times, then followed him at PSU. He has skills for a big guy!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's what worries me now about the playoffs and our running game, we have 1 good game where Tomlin insists we're going to run and now all of the sudden everybody thinks we can run again. I don't doubt Tomlin will try and get Parker going but at what point if he starts to suck to we switch to Moore; hopefully sooner than later.

Thread Information