Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Owners Vote to Go International With Regular-Season Games

Bookmark and Share

Owners Vote to Go International With Regular-Season Games

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/10/25/sp...all/25nfl.html
    NEW ORLEANS, Oct. 24 — National Football League owners have apparently determined that games will be played in Germany before they will be played in Los Angeles.

During their meeting Tuesday, the owners passed a proposal to play regular-season games outside the United States, and they expressed skepticism that a stadium deal in Los Angeles could be reached.

Starting next season, the N.F.L. will play one international game, and starting in 2008, it could play two. The sites will be in Germany, Britain, Mexico or Canada, with a bidding process to determine where the games will be and which teams will participate.

“This is in response to the growing fan interest in our game overseas,” N.F.L. Commissioner Roger Goodell said. “There are more and more fans on a global basis.”

The N.F.L. seems to have more stadium options in a country like Germany — which was the site of the World Cup last summer — than it does in Los Angeles.

Goodell, in his first owners’ meeting as commissioner, said that the new estimated cost of a stadium in Los Angeles could reach $1 billion. Goodell attributed part of the estimate to the rising cost of steel and concrete, which is hampering stadium construction everywhere.

Goodell insisted that he would not abandon the idea of football in Los Angeles — “It’s a challenge we can meet,” he said — but several owners indicated that the price of a stadium was too high.

“Right now,” said Tom Benson, the New Orleans Saints’ owner, “I think it’s on the back burner.”

Owners also figure to lose money by moving home games across the border, but they stand to gain exposure. Last regular season, the Arizona Cardinals played the San Francisco 49ers in Mexico City, drawing a crowd of 103,467.

The N.F.L. has tried to build an international following since 1991, when it started the World League of American Football. But the 2005 game between the Cardinals and the 49ers was viewed as a truer gauge of interest.
    I have mixed feelings about this, but I guess if it's the Steelers then at least I'll know I'll get to see them on TV

Satan's Helper SteelersfaninPhilly's Avatar
    What a waste. I hope the team giving up the home game. Gets very well compensated.

http://americanat.blogspot.com/

I'm blind, I'm deaf, I wanna be a ref! Get on your knees ref your blowing the game!

Big thank you to pa state Daryl Metcalfe. For doing the right thing.

I just hope it ain't us losing a home game, it's already hard enough to get tickets !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

I hope it's not like a Steelers vs Cardinals or San Diego because those are games that I can go too

House of Steel
    You realize the implications of this international crap? Will the season ticket holders be able to make the game overseas? This is a bunch of THE GAME OF FOOTBALL IS AN AMERICAN ICON, STAY IN AMERICA!!!

SA Member #27
    My Mood
    Ratbirds
    This is a bunch of B.S.! They should do this international crap in pre-season. I'm getting sick of this s***!

I agree...why take away from the fans here. Keep the NFL here. If they want to go to an NFL game, they can come to America and buy tickets to our stadiums.

The one thing though is it will be like a home game for the Steelers. I have heard there are amazing numbers of International Steelers fans. Dallas may be "America's Team" but Pittsburgh is "The Worlds Team"

I still think they should keep the NFL (National Football League) here where it belongs!

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

ASU 4 LIFE
    i think going to germany is bs they already have nfl europe, if it stays on the north american continent i could care less.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I absolutely hate this idea. That means fans here are losing home games. I have no problem with preseason games, but the regular season games are a whole other story.

The idea is to get exposure of what real American Football is like. Yea, a team will lose a home game. But it is one game in one season. It's a small sacrifice to make in order to show the world why America and Americans love the sport of American football and the NFL. The rest of the world scoffs at us for being so in love with American football while they all follow soccer. But unless they do have some super-cable package I'm sure most outside of North America have never seen a real NFL game. So having a regular season game played in a different region and continent of the world is the most effective way for a different audience to gain exposure to the sport.

Yes, they already have the NFL Europe, but I think most of you will agree with me that the NFL Europe is a sorry excuse of a league compared to the actual NFL. It is more a league leashed to the NFL as a weak attempt to expose Europe to the sport of American football. NFL Europe is filled with players who just aren't good enough to be in the actual NFL back home, so they are shipped off to Europe to play with hope that maybe they will become seasoned enough to be able to play in the actual NFL, yet I have heard of few players and instances where that has actually happened. Europe is then left with a moot league filled with less than stellar players and game-play. Americans sure as hell don't give a damn about the NFL Europe, not only because it is in Europe but also because we all know the facts I just stated above, so why should we think Europeans are going to get so excited when they are also used to seeing all-star play in other sports they already know. Even if they don't fully know the ins-and-outs of the sport of American football they can tell just like we can when game-play is all-star or less than such. Bringing an actual NFL regular season game to the region will give the population an example of how the game is supposed to be played and played on an all-star level.

Some have mentioned just playing a preseason game there instead of wasting a regular season game. That is already being done next year with the China Bowl between the Patriots and the Seahawks where the two teams will play a preseason game in Beijing to expose the Chinese to the game of American football. A preseason game is a step, but again we all know how preseason games go down and appear. Often they are boring and have game-play by mainly second and third and even fourth string players which then again leads to less than stellar game-play. A preseason game would allow some exposure but only for as long as the first string is in the game (all of 4 minutes) that is if even the entire first string is healthy enough or ready to play in that preseason game. Preseason games would be an easier opportunity to start introducing other populations to the sport in the next few years but in order to introduce the true sport of American football to others around the world they have to be exposed to the all-star players and all-star game-play that we Americans are used to every Sunday from September to January.

I love the sport of football (the true American kind) just as much as all of you here. I love how it has thrived in America and become an American icon. But at this point I'm not opposed to seeing it exposed and possibly expanded and appreciated in other areas of the world. I don't believe that the NFL should try to assimilate all teams that might be established around the world because that would be impossible for the league and players to maintain that schedule of games flying between continents. But I'm talking about helping new leagues, real leagues using homegrown players established in different areas around the world. I hope that a case like that the NHL has where almost every overseas player is stolen to the NFL does not happen but rather possibly at some point in the future seeing the sport of American football reaching international and possibly even Olympic proportions. Baseball was once an All-American sport, now it is played all over the world. Why couldn't American football be the same way?

BuFu

Thread Information