Thread: Steeler Logo

Bookmark and Share
    Gold Standard

Steeler Logo

Does anyone know why the Steeler logo is only on one side of the helmet? Somebody asked me that question and I honestly never heard why that is. Every other team has a logo on both sides except the Stains which have no logo at all. Please no guesses. I am interested in the history behind that if anyone actually knows it.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

From Steelers.com

The Steelers logo is based on the Steelmark logo belonging to the American Iron and Steel Institute (AISI). Created by U.S. Steel Corp. (now known as USX Corp.), the logo contains three hypocycloids (diamond shapes).

In the 1950s, when helmet logos became popular, the Steelers added players' numbers to either side of their gold helmets. Later that decade, the numbers were removed and in 1962, Cleveland's Republic Steel suggested to the Steelers that they use the Steelmark as a helmet logo.

When the Steelmark logo was created, U.S. Steel attached the following meaning to it: Steel lightens your work, brightens your leisure and widens your world. The logo was used as part of a major marketing campaign to educate consumers about how important steel is in our daily lives. The Steelmark logo was used in print, radio and television ads as well as on labels for all steel products, from steel tanks to tricycles to filing cabinets.

In the 1960s, U.S. Steel turned over the Steelmark program to the AISI, where it came to represent the steel industry as a whole. During the 1970s, the logo's meaning was extended to include the three materials used to produce steel: yellow for coal, orange for ore and blue for steel scrap. In the late 1980s, when the AISI founded the Steel Recycling Institute (SRI), the logo took on a new life reminiscent of its 1950s meaning.

The Steelers had to petition the AISI in order to change the word "Steel" inside the Steelmark to "Steelers" before the logo was complete.

The Steelers are the only NFL team that sports their logo on only one side of the helmet. At first, this was a temporary measure because the Steelers weren't sure they would like the look of the logo on an all-gold helmet. They wanted to test them before going all-out.

Equipment manager Jack Hart was instructed to put the logo only on one side of the helmet - the right side. The 1962 Steelers finished 9-5 and became the winningest team in franchise history to date. The team finished second in the Eastern Conference and qualified for the Playoff Bowl. They wanted to do something special for their first postseason game, so they changed the color of their helmets from gold to black, which helped to highlight the new logo.

Because of the interest generated by having the logo on only one side of their helmets and because of their team's new success, the Steelers decided to leave it that way permanently.

Today's helmet reflects the way the logo was originally applied and it has never been changed.
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

My Mood
    Addicted
    http://news.steelers.com/tradition/logohistory/

Jen beat me to it but here is the link.

Gold Standard
    Thanks!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

because we're bad ***
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    because we're bad ***
    Heck yes!

"When Gotham is ashes, you have my permission to die."

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    the real reason is because the rooneys are to cheap to have it on both sides
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Koopa View Post
    the real reason is because the rooneys are to cheap to have it on both sides
    lol...the sad part is that is not far-fetched.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    because we're bad ***

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Aggressive
    In my house its known as the Family Crest. My baby see's it and says, football. I say "Go Steelers!!" and my baby puts her hands in the air and says, "touch down!"

Thread Information