Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Playing the starters was the right call!

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Playing the starters was the right call!

Say what you want about Benís injury in this game, whether or not it was important or not but the fact is the starters needed to play in this game. Itís not like weíre the Colts offense or somebody else who can score points at will and have a solid running game. We could not afford to sit everyone and go into the playoffs with a 2 game losing streak. Make no mistake the Browns came into this game wanting to win and beat their divisional rival. Sitting starters for really what amounts to nearly 3 weeks is not a good idea. You get out of sync, stale, flat and with the post season you canít afford that.

Football is a violent game, anything can happen at any time. They always say you are one game away from the end of your career at any given time so itís not like you can look into a crystal ball and see something like this happening. If we didnít have a bye week then yeah maybe you sit your guys but in a game where you have a week off already you had to play them. Itís a risk you take just stepping onto the football field.

Banned
    I agree it was the right call to play the starters. The NY Giants are in the same situation as we are (facing 2weeks rest) and Coughlin played Eli the 1st half as he should. Ben needs to learn to get rid of the ball and that injury would not have happened. I hope he is well and resting. I wish injury on nobody but lets look on the bright side, the turf at Heinz fieild is grass and thats a plus.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Ben is not going to change his ways and Tomlin is not going to make him. We've had this discussion a million times. Ben is not going to get rid of the ball quicker, he's not going to stop trying to make plays right up until the last minute. He is who he is and we've won a ton of games because of it.

Ben and the offense needed the work and the defense got some good work in and was able to come through with the shutout. Coughlin had the right idea last year and it worked out for him; I think more teams will follow this line of thinking in similar situations in the future.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I don't fault Tomlin at all for not resting most of his starter but at the same time I wouldn't have cared if he rested them all in a meaningless game....He is the HC of the team and is paid to make those choices and in my opinion either way would have been ok with me.....It just sucks that Ben was injured and that is going to cause some fans to scream see Ben shouldn't have played......

My Mood
    Clowns
    The offense at least got the running game going somewhat which possibly might give it a boost going into the playoffs in a few weeks. The defense had a huge bounce back game from last week aside from allowing more yards then they should have with Lewis they were solid all the way across the board. I agree playing the starters was the way to go and gaining a shutout going into the postseason I think is a good way to close things out...Time for the real season to begin in two weeks fellas...

My Mood
    Angry
    Hey!!
    We've seen what's happened the past few seasons to teams that have decided to rest starters prior to the playoffs(Tampa Bay and Indianapolis)....they get bounced in the first round or their first divisional round game.

Playing full-tilt winning football is not something that can be turned on and off like a light switch.
    Everybody should be playing all out...all of the time...all 16 games!!

Who knows....if Byron Leftwich takes the Steelers to the promised land if Ben can't play then it could be said that Ben going down was a blessing in disguise.

I have no problem with ben playing. Our offense has been bad at timesthis year and who knows what we would have looked like if our starters had three weeks of rest. Good to hear we got the running game going even if it was agianst the Browns.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I disagree. We'll be off next week so playing starters today was of no value to the team. This has nothing to do with the injury to Ben,its more common sense.

Ben and a few other players were hurt coming into the game and needed the rest more than the repetitions.

If you think about it , we won our first game of the season and our game after the bye, what value did todays game have ?
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Horny
    Hell yeah it was the right call It was nice to see Willie finally run like we all know he can!!! and not to mention heath had some big catches!! Defiantly the right call players can get hurt any given Sunday i don't fault Tomlin at all! Plus Ben is one of the toughest quarterbacks i have ever seen he will be back!!!

Chairman of the Board Iron City South's Avatar
    Yeah, convince yourself all you want that playing Ben was the right thing to do ... it won't change the answer ....

It was WRONG.... very wrong. You NEVER want your starting QB to take a concussion a week before going into the playoffs. The implications from this concussion could be profound in a very negative sense.

Beating up on the hapless Browns and feeling good about it is like the school yard bully picking on the 8 year old and taking his lunch money then bragging about it.
    "The most interesting man on SA ... stay thirsty my friends"

Thread Information