Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ward nears fifth 1,000 yd. season..12/28, Hines get his 1000 & sets reception record

Bookmark and Share
    Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy

Ward nears fifth 1,000 yd. season..12/28, Hines get his 1000 & sets reception record

Ask Hines Ward what has been the key to 11 seasons of accomplishments, and he'll turn the question the way he turns defenders.

"You guys are the key," Ward said during a media scrum this week. "I love it when you write about what I can't do."

Most receivers prefer to run and catch without carrying extra baggage around, but Ward seems to play his best when he has that chip on his shoulder. It's uncertain who, if anybody, wrote that Ward wouldn't be on the doorstep of another 1,000-yard season going into the regular-season finale against the Cleveland Browns tomorrow. No matter. The former Super Bowl MVP plays his best when everything is on the line.

A favorite on YouTube for his devastating blocks, and the target of bounty hunters by opposing defenders, Ward previously has reached the 1,000-yard mark in receiving yards four times from 2001-04, with each of the those seasons punctuated by a Pro Bowl selection. No other receiver in franchise history -- and it's a history that includes some Hall of Famers -- had four such seasons.

At 32, he is 27 yards shy of reaching 1,000 again. And even if he says all the right things about team goals, the milestone is meaningful.

"It would be a great accomplishment. I don't think I have to prove anything to my teammates by getting 1,000 yards, but it'd be great to have," said Ward, who has caught at least one pass in 161 consecutive games.

He is the franchise leader in 12 categories, including career catches, most receiving yards, most receiving touchdowns and receptions in a single season. He is six catches short of 800 in his career, which is some 250 more than John Stallworth had. He also is tied with Louis Lipps and Buddy Dial for most touchdown catches in a season (12, in 2002).

By his own admission, Ward is not a typical wide receiver.

"I'm not 6-foot-3. I don't have blazing speed. But I find ways to be the best player I can be," Ward said. "To play this long in the league, you have to be consistent. Consistency is the measuring stick. I'll keep showing up and keep making plays to get this team to the Super Bowl."

And in the words of coach Mike Tomlin, "He's a football player, a wide receiver second."

When it comes to running with the ball or taking a hit to make a play or throwing a jarring block, Ward can irritate defenders no end. But it's hard to tell what's more annoying -- his accomplishments or his radiant smile.

One of his nicknames is Psycho Ward. But he's also known as Hines Field for his accomplishments at home. He opened the season by grabbing two touchdown passes against the Houston Texans.

The game against the Browns has no meaning as far as the standings or the playoff seeds are concerned. But Ward has found motivation beyond his personal goals.

"This is one game they would love to win," Ward said.

"For us, we trying to gain momentum going into the playoffs. This is our last preparation. Last year, we limped into the playoffs. You can't just turn it on and off. If you're not playing good heading into the playoffs, it takes a miracle for you to have a good playoff run."

And there's another little chip on the shoulder -- wanting to erase the aftereffects of the loss last week in Tennessee.

"We don't want to go into the playoffs with that game on our minds still," Ward said. "We don't want that taste in our mouths."
    Where in the hell have I've been... Didn't realize he was that close.....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    There's probably a lot of people that didn't realize he was that close just because our offense hasn't been that good this year and you haven't heard about anybody else setting records. Im pretty sure Hines will get his 27 yds receiving this weekend and it will be a well deserved honor for the best WR in team history. Taking nothing away from other greats like Swann, Stallworth, & Lipps; they are all legends in team history but Hines just does it all and owns every significant receiving record already.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Im pretty sure Hines will get his 27 yds receiving this weekend and it will be a well deserved honor for the best WR in team history.
    He's the best "Football Player" to have played WR in team history.

I'd definetely take the bet that he will get the 27 yards. As you can tell by his comments this game means a lot to them.

My Mood
    Addicted
    He'll have 27 yards before the end of the 1st quarter, Congrats early Hines on another 1000 yard season

1000 Yards what's the big deal??

First off this might is not meant as a shot at Hines because he is zeroing in on another 1,000 yard season, he deserves any accolades he gets.
    My question is what is the big deal about 1,000 yards anymore?? In a 16 game season that equates to 62.5 yards a game?? That ain't all that much. That magical number carried more weight in the 70's, then it does now. I mean the way the rules have been changed to favor the offense what should the new number be?? Now I open the floor to discussion...

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    He's the best "Football Player" to have played WR in team history.

I'd definetely take the bet that he will get the 27 yards. As you can tell by his comments this game means a lot to them.

Yeah I agree, he's not anybody's typical WR but he is as tough as nails and everything you want in a WR on a team like ours. He makes the run game better, the passing game better and takes a double team every time he goes out in a pass pattern which opens things up for everyone else. You can tell a difference when he's not in the game because coverage rolls to Holmes and then it makes it harder for him to make plays.

He will go down as probably the best Cowher draft pick ever IMO. You can make a case for Ben as we watch his career progress as well as Polamalu and a few others but Hines is definitely one of the best ever.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    First off this might is not meant as a shot at Hines because he is zeroing in on another 1,000 yard season, he deserves any accolades he gets.
    My question is what is the big deal about 1,000 yards anymore?? In a 16 game season that equates to 62.5 yards a game?? That ain't all that much. That magical number carried more weight in the 70's, then it does now. I mean the way the rules have been changed to favor the offense what should the new number be?? Now I open the floor to discussion...
    Kinda have to agree.... Look at that reciever who plays for the Lions Calvin Johnson..... Has over a 1200 yds and they never even won a game.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Quote Originally Posted by BlacknGold Bleeder View Post
    Using your 62.5 yards per game argument in the 70's they played 14 games that would only have been 71.4 yards a game or 9 more yards a game, basically 1 catch per game. So the new number should be 1142 or 1150. Forget the rule changes, look at how much bigger and stronger the defensive guys are today. With the longer preseason & season it's much more difficult for a player to make it through the year without missing any time.

The 1100 number just doesn't look right, I say keep it at 1000!

My Mood
    Smokin
    Congrats hines lets get some more today

Thanks for the sig Flea

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Congrats to Hines, getting his final 27 yds in the first quarter to get to his 1000!

He also set the Steelers all time receptions record with 800!!!

Thread Information