Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seahawks' Hasselbeck out at least 3 weeks with knee sprain

Bookmark and Share

Seahawks' Hasselbeck out at least 3 weeks with knee sprain

The Seahwaks can't catch a break this year but they are somehow still finding ways to win some games... except for this past wekend!

Yahoo! Sports

KIRKLAND, Wash. (AP) -- Seattle Seahawks quarterback Matt Hasselbeck will miss at least three weeks with a strained ligament in his right knee.

And he's not happy about how it happened.

Hasselbeck believes Minnesota's E.J. Henderson could have avoided rolling into his lower right leg Sunday early in the second half of Seattle's loss to the Vikings.

"I don't think it was unavoidable, but only he would know," Hasselbeck said of Henderson and his hit, which was not penalized.

The play occurred when the Vikings' linebacker came off a block by fullback Mack Strong and swung his torso into Hasselbeck's leg, which was planted after he had just thrown an incomplete pass.

"I'm sure he didn't try to put me out for a long period of time -- but they didn't want me to finish the game, either," Hasselbeck said.

An MRI taken Monday showed the Pro Bowl quarterback strained his right medial collateral ligament. Coach Mike Holmgren said Hasselbeck has a Grade 2 sprain on a three-grade scale and will miss "around" three games. He will return no sooner than the Nov. 19 game at San Francisco.

"I guess it's kind of good news for me," Holmgren said. "It could have been worse, certainly."

Seneca Wallace, a fourth-year veteran, will make his first NFL start Sunday at Kansas City (3-3). The Seahawks (4-2) are already without league MVP Shaun Alexander, who is out with a broken foot. Holmgren said the 2005 league rushing leader is on track to return Nov. 6 against Oakland.

Hasselbeck said he is constantly aware of people at his feet to guard against injury, "within a certain amount of time after I throw." He said he relaxed in this case, thinking the play was over.

"I guess I learned my lesson," he said.

After Sunday's game, Henderson was apologetic.

"I was falling to the ground and Mack Strong kind of pushed. I definitely didn't mean to do it," said Henderson, a fourth-year veteran from Maryland. "It was definitely an accident. I hope he gets back soon."

But Hasselbeck said if the same situation had occurred with a Seahawks defender and Minnesota's quarterback, there would have been no incident.

"If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said.

When asked Monday if he thought Henderson's hit was clean, Holmgren said, "I'm going to stay away from that ... I'm going to let someone else make that call."

Replacing Hasselbeck, Wallace was 14-for-25 for 134 yards passing with two interceptions. He also lost a fumble in his own end zone while Ben Leber sacked him. Kevin Williams covered the ball for Minnesota's final score.

Monday, the athletic, 5-foot-11, former Iowa State star said he has something to prove to the league, beginning Sunday against the Chiefs.

"I welcome all challenges. This is what my job is," Wallace said.

Holmgren said the Seahawks are considering signing a veteran, free-agent quarterback to back up Wallace until Hasselbeck returns.

My Mood
    Addicted
    This whole thing makes no sense!

I guess Matt thinks everyone is out to get him. But saying this is BS!
    "If Brad Johnson is the quarterback on that play, I guarantee nobody touches his knee," Hasselbeck said

Some guys are just babies! He should be counting his blessings it's only 3 weeks... if he keeps this attitude up though it might be longer next time

My Mood
    Addicted
    I never thought of Matt as a baby but this makes me think twice!...lol

House of Steel
    He has been a whining *** since the Super Bowl Loss. I have that stupid SOB on my fantasy team and now that just shakes things up. Why do I bother playing anymore?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I guess we know that Hasslebeck isn't really one of the real tough QB's in the league if he's going to whine about it.

Hell even Carson Palmer admitted that Kimo's hit on his knee wasn't dirty, and you don't see him mouthing off about what is fair and unfair.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    I guess we know that Hasslebeck isn't really one of the real tough QB's in the league if he's going to whine about it.

Hell even Carson Palmer admitted that Kimo's hit on his knee wasn't dirty, and you don't see him mouthing off about what is fair and unfair.
    Yeah, Hasselbeck is a big wuss for bringing it up. Only pansy quarterbacks say things like:
    "From what I heard, he said he got pushed or tripped or something; but anytime you go low on a quarterback, you know it's a little dirty."
    People who live in glass houses....

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    OH relax Im just trying to give ya alittle shiat.

Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    OH relax Im just trying to give ya alittle shiat.

Things are a little tense over here as of late football-wise. I think we are all ready to give the Hawks offense some mulligans when Hasslebeck and SA are out at the same time. And they should hopefully be back and hitting their groove by the end of the season. Fortunately we do play in the NFC West and should still make the playoffs in spite of the current injuries.

What is dissabpointing is the play of the D. I would expect that they would have stepped it up in the second half when Hasselbeck got injured. But instead they played worse. Dissapointing. But maybe that is to be expected when Hasselbeck isn't eating up a lot of the clock with our West Coast offense drives that seem to take forever.

Should be interesting to see how Seneca Wallace responds to the opportunity to lead the team for a few weeks....

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    No QB + No RB = No Wins
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

Thread Information