Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: No holding penalties called against Steelers opps in 23 quarters (almost 6 games)

Bookmark and Share
    SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Stressed

No holding penalties called against Steelers opps in 23 quarters (almost 6 games)

http://nflfromthesidelines.blogspot....ay-update.html

by Dale Lolley

Speaking to some different guys in the locker room, I got some interesting answers to why they thought there hadn't been a holding penalty called against a Steelers opponent in 23 quarters – a span of nearly six games.

I'll have that story in Friday's Observer-Reporter.
    So we're NOT just making more out of the no calls than we should, and this proves it--unbelievable, and completely inexcusable.

Someone needs to send this to the office of NFL and have it investigated! It's absurd and probably some sort of record!!!

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Got this off of SCI.com

PITTSBURGH – Casey Hampton goes up against Kevin Mawae this week in Tennessee, and Hampton knows a little bit about the Pro Bowl center for the Titans.

“He’s crafty,” Hampton said. “He holds, knows the little tricks.” But Hampton doesn’t expect Mawae to be called for holding. And why should he? The Steelers haven’t drawn an offensive holding call in 24 quarters. The last was called on Washington Redskins left tackle Chris Samuels in the fourth quarter of the Nov. 3 game.
    In that span, the Steelers have been called for offensive holding eight times. Every member of the offensive line except Chris Kemoeatu has been flagged during that stretch, as have two tight ends and wide receiver Hines Ward – twice.

“We don’t get held,” Hampton said with a straight face. “That’s the bottom line. They don’t hold us.”

Even Hampton himself has been called for holding more in the past six games – once – than the Steelers’ opposition.

“I’m telling you, we don’t get held, man,” he said. “I mean, they play their best game against us every week. They just block us so well. They never hold us.”

As the group of reporters surrounding Hampton began to laugh, the big man held his deadpan.

“They’re great athletes. They get their hands inside and do their job,” he said.
    Chris Hoke laughed about his teammate’s comments. So did Aaron Smith.

“I don’t even know what holding is anymore,” Smith said. “Look at what they’re doing to James Harrison. They’ve got one guy holding him by the neck and another guy holding his legs. I guess I don’t have a true understanding of what’s holding.”
    Neither, apparently, do the officials. TV replays last Sunday once again picked up an opposing left tackle holding Harrison around the neck as the Steelers’ star pass rusher came low and hard around the corner.

“I’ll let the ref know after the play that I’m being held,” said Harrison. “But he’ll say ‘Well, it’s so-and-so’s job,’ or ‘It’s this guy’s job.’ I even had a guy look me dead in the face, that saw me getting yanked down, and I asked him for the hold call and he just dropped his head and looked away like I wasn’t even talking to him.

“I don’t like it, but if they don’t call it, there’s nothing I can do about it. I can complain or whatever, but it’s not going to help. It hasn’t helped me the last two, three weeks.”
    Harrison didn’t get a sack against the Ravens on Sunday and fell behind DeMarcus Ware in the NFL race by five.

Harrison, who has 15 sacks, also trails Joey Porter (17) and John Abraham (15.5), but his 94 tackles, seven forced fumbles and an interception that makes him the top contender for the Defensive Player of the Year Award, according to Colts Coach Tony Dungy.

“If I had to vote right now, I’d vote for James Harrison,” Dungy told Sirius Radio yesterday. “He’s like a Randy Moss or Dwight Freeney. You have to game plan for him in terms of how you’re going to block him in the passing game. So he puts that on the table even before the game starts, and then he does other things: He drops in pass coverage, covers tight ends. They move him around and he’s not just a one-dimensional pass rusher. He’s a linebacker that also rushes and he’s been the most dominant player on the best defense in football, and, shoot, by next Sunday they may have the best record in football.”

Even though no one’s holding them.

By Jim Wexell
    SteelCityInsider.com
    Posted Dec 18, 2008
    Our guys have class, they'll joke about it and mention it during a game but they won't be outright bitchin and crying about it.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    At this point you have to joke about it, getting all torqued up doesn't solve anything and it's not going to change. The refs are more than happy to flag us all the time but God forbid if they actually call holding against the defense!

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    thanx for the jinx
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

I mean come on nobody holds James Harrison

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_ZzSeX2ctOa...sonholding.jpg

Last edited by AZ_Steeler; 12-19-2008 at 12:28 AM.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    The refs are more than happy to flag us all the time but God forbid if they actually call holding against the defense!
    Amen!!

Not only holding penalties but I don't know how many questionable hits I've seen Ben take this season that I would bet the farm against that the refs would drop a "Roughing the Passer" flag in a second if the Steelers defense did the exact same thing.

My Mood
    Addicted
    6 Games come on,Man they just didn't want the steelers to set the single season record HATER'Sthanks for the story

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Got this off of SCI.com

Our guys have class, they'll joke about it and mention it during a game but they won't be outright bitchin and crying about it.
    They will just leave it up to the fans !!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Good,!!! I'm glad they don't call holding. Silverback will just take it to the next level in the playoffs.

Thread Information