Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers Offense: Play calling is the trouble

Bookmark and Share

Steelers Offense: Play calling is the trouble

As the season wraps up the Steelers need to look long at their game plans and how they play call. Using play action, running back screens, draws and quick slants will slow down the rush and help a less than seasoned line get on the same page. We have seen the line come a long way this year and they are certainly playing better now than early in the season.

As we head into the playoffs, play calling will be a much larger key to to winning and going deep into the playoffs. The offensive coordinator who can understand what his opponent is doing to stop him will prevail. At this point Bruce has yet to prove he can adapt and overcome. The defense has kept them in all their games.

Lets look to see in this key matchup with Tennessee this weekend if Bruce Arians can mix it up a bit better, get the tight ends more involved and please give up on the spread formation.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The bigger Question is if we win an Super bowl does the Steelers keep Arians?

We can only hope not. At this point though who knows, the Steelers look to be one of a few who are playing well now and looking good for th playoffs. It may all depend on what kind of defense they see. If they win it all Arians likely stays.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is a topic that is brought up regularly around here; Arians is entirely too predictable and the Steeler offense has no identity. If it were not for Ben and his ability to put this team on his back and make the clutch plays he's made we wouldn't be sitting here with a chance at the #2 seed this coming weekend.

I don't know how this offense is going to do in the post season yet, suffice it to say we are going to ride our Defense as far as we can along with solid coverage in the ST area and hope that the offense can do just enough, and not turn the ball over, to help out.

Quote Originally Posted by 60 Minute Man View Post
    The bigger Question is if we win an Super bowl does the Steelers keep Arians?
    Ha, i wonder how many teams have fired their O.C. after a Super Bowl appearance!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by steelcitysfinestXL View Post
    Ha, i wonder how many teams have fired their O.C. after a Super Bowl appearance!?!?
    Better yet, Steelers bring home title #6 and Arians gets nod in Detroit!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Ok if the Steelers go on and win the Super Bowl there is no chance that BA is fired.....I think there is no chance he is fired after the team winning two straight AFC North titles with him as OC....I'm not a huge fan of Arians at all but he isn't going anywhere and just deal with it.......

Improve the OL and the whole offense will be better and BA will be a better OC also....We are somewhat limited on offense due to the OL....I'm not saying Bruce Arians is a great offensive mind by any means but he deserves another shot with the team winning and if the OL is improved in the off-season....

My Mood
    Addicted
    There are more problems with this offense than just the OC.........

Below average OL
    Merry-go-round at RB
    WR's not getting open consistantly and/or dropping too many passes
    And yes, some of the play calling.

I just don't think the offense would be nearly as bad if they had a decent OL and the WR's and RB's were more consistant. The OL is actually better at pass blocking than run blocking IMO. They get no push in the run game at all but they can do ok getting in a defensive players way on pass plays........lol

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    There are more problems with this offense than just the OC.........

Below average OL
    Merry-go-round at RB
    WR's not getting open consistantly and/or dropping too many passes
    And yes, some of the play calling.

I just don't think the offense would be nearly as bad if they had a decent OL and the WR's and RB's were more consistant. The OL is actually better at pass blocking than run blocking IMO. They get no push in the run game at all but they can do ok getting in a defensive players way on pass plays........lol
    I agree with your post except I don't think the OL isn't even good in pass protection....Remember Ben and BA both like to go deep....We really have had to go to the short passing game due to the OL's inability to sustain their pass blocking to allow the WR's time to get open deep....Some of that is also on the WR's but I mainly its the OL....

Fix the OL and the whole offense will improve......But I don't like BA and I even didn't like him last year.....But he isn't going anywhere so I'm willing to see what he can do with a better OL if the Steelers even improve their OL...lol

I think they need to but me thinking it and they actually doing it or two different things...lol

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Those are all valid points and really bring to light exactly the things that are wrong with this offense. Im not sold on Arians by any stretch, I think he's entirely too predictable especially in the red zone and if Ben wasn't as adept at making plays in the clutch we'd be barely a .500 team right now. Ben makes Arians looks atleast semi ok.

Our defense is fine; overall we are solid all around and if we bring back some key players, get some good depth on the DL, etc. they will be set for the long haul but even so right now they are as good as anything out there ever so need to tinker with what works.

As far as the offense goes, scrap the entire OL if you must but for God sakes do something about our Tackles atleast. I can deal with Kemo (if we can re-sign him) at RG, Stapleton is a solid LG, Hartwig is fine at Center but we have ZERO depth to speak of. Marvel, Colon, and Starks are not Tackles that are going to be able to be a staple there for the next several years and we all know it. Tomlin has got to retool that line.

As far as RB's go, with Mendenhall back next year there just needs to be an open tryout in camp and preseason and let them all fight it out for roster spots.

As long as you fix the OL everything else will fall into place on offense.

Thread Information