Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Overtime rules need to be changed ?

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Question Overtime rules need to be changed ?

Ive always been a proponent of the NFL sudden death over time setup. I always like the fact that you have to step up and be accounted for especially on defense because the game can be lost in a heartbeat.

But this year Ive started to rethink that line of thought. Why not do it like college does. Each team gets a chance to score on 1 posession and it goes on from there getting progressively harder with each passing OT until somebody chokes.

There's pros and cons to both but if each team gets a turn to have the ball in regulation, why not in OT ?

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    hell yeah it needs to be changed, they should just play the full quarter, or go college style, it's no fair that if you don't win the coin toss you are pretty much ****ed
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Amazed
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Ive always been a proponent of the NFL sudden death over time setup. I always like the fact that you have to step up and be accounted for especially on defense because the game can be lost in a heartbeat.

But this year Ive started to rethink that line of thought. Why not do it like college does. Each team gets a chance to score on 1 posession and it goes on from there getting progressively harder with each passing OT until somebody chokes.

There's pros and cons to both but if each team gets a turn to have the ball in regulation, why not in OT ?
    I completely agree! It should be like college.
    Peace & Yours in Black 'N Gold,

Lyn

www.blackngoldpride.com

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T3JXqogT0VU

Many thanks to BR7 (Ron) for the sig and matching avatar

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That's a good point Koopa. Play 1 full quarter no matter what and let the best team win. If it goes to a tie after that then so be it. If its a playoff game then play 1 full quarter and after that go to the college system.

I agree that I like college OT better. According to the stats it doesn't matter who has the ball first, but it stings when you don't even get a chance to score.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

I always found the college OT to be a bit "gimmicky" why not just play a full extra quarter or just a truncated quarter like most sports. But even the college version is better than the pro-version. The one sidedness becomes even more blatant in a shoot out type games such as this. I would imagine the all time winning percentage for the team that wins the coin toss is probably pretty damn high.
    "Racing doesn't teach a lesson. Nor do most racers. Many of them can't even tell you why they're in the cockpit. They don't know. Racing isn't what they do. It's who they are."

R.I.P. Dan Wheldon

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I like the overtime the way it is. I hate the college OT. This is only an issue when a team losses. Don't change the OT. Lets face it the Steelers shouldn't even have let this game go into OT in the first place.

I really don't care if they go to college or a full quarter...just as long as the other team gets a chance to have the ball on offense too.

sig made by K Train....Thank you!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BBG7 View Post
    I really don't care if they go to college or a full quarter...just as long as the other team gets a chance to have the ball on offense too.
    But thats why they call it sudden death and makes the OT some exciting. I'm still trying to figure why Farrior called head. Tails never fails bro.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    But thats why they call it sudden death and makes the OT some exciting. I'm still trying to figure why Farrior called head. Tails never fails bro.

I said that exact same thing in the gameday thread. I was like WTF are they doing calling heads !! We always call tails !!

Thread Information