Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Where the hell did the defense go !!??

Bookmark and Share
    SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I'm glad I'm not the only one that sees that Bill Cowher is different this year. I with you I wish Cowher would have just announced his retirement when Jerome did. I don't blame Bill Cowher either and thank him for all that he has done. But coaching 14 years in the NFL takes it toll on a person and I do think Cowher might be ready for a break.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I think Bill is an amazing coach, but the fire seems to be gone. The defense needs motivated. They have all the talent to be the best, but they just aren't getting it done.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Top Gun why did Mike Vick look like Steve Young today? Plus why did Crumpler look like Kellen Winslow SR. today? The Steelers defense didn't have an answer for those two all-day today. Did the Steelers watch film of the Saints and Giants? Those two teams totally shut down Vick and the Falcons offense.
    Those two teams play a 4-3 and as you know we play a 3-4. The Giants have a very good D line and they get pressure without blitzing. Thats the key to beating Vick and the Falcons. Almost forgot.......Don't turn the ball over 3 times inside your own 30 also!
    aushqf4

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by augustashark View Post
    Those two teams play a 4-3 and as you know we play a 3-4. The Giants have a very good D line and they get pressure without blitzing. Thats the key to beating Vick and the Falcons. Almost forgot.......Don't turn the ball over 3 times inside your own 30 also!
    I know the Giants and Saints run a 4-3. But still the Steelers could have at least taken something from what both those teams did in stopping Vick. Defense played like crap. The Bears offense turned the ball over 6 times against the Cards and the Bears defense still made plays to bring the Bears back in that game. If the Steelers defense is a great defense that we all like to believe they are. Then they could have made some plays to bail out the offense and special teams for turning the ball over today.

Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    I know the Giants and Saints run a 4-3. But still the Steelers could have at least taken something from what both those teams did in stopping Vick. Defense played like crap. The Bears offense turned the ball over 6 times against the Cards and the Bears defense still made plays to bring the Bears back in that game. If the Steelers defense is a great defense that we all like to believe they are. Then they could have made some plays to bail out the offense and special teams for turning the ball over today.
    I agree 32, but the Falcons are alittle better than the Cards. I also agree that are D can not be called great at this time. With the Giants, that front four is one of the best in the league. Dick needs to coach and gameplan better then what he's been doing, I don't lay all the blame on Cowher. I know it's a cop out, but we do not match up all that great with the Falcons. Another thing I've have to remind myself of all the time is that those guys get paid also and they are pros.

The D should have been able to stop them for a FG at least once after the 3 turnovers. Another thing is that those final two drives the one at the end of reg and the one in OT should have been stopped. Maybe not both but at least one. D grades out to a D IMO.
    aushqf4

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    Since I didnt read through all of this thread I am sorry for maybe duplicating somone elses thoughts. Anyway,

Since I can remember the Steelers are always getting burned by the pass especially in a situation where there is a mobile QB. The Steelers Corners are not shut down corners and if we try to pull Troy in they are going to get beat deep. If the Steelers get to the QB and make him make bad desicions ie turnovers then we win if they dont well look at the final score.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    On the Line last night on FSN, a caller asked about the secondary and why they continue to get burnt. Tunch and Wolf both commented that its been an ongoing problem this year that we haven't seen in a long time. DB's are taking bad angles and letting players go in the middle of field way too much.

We're pretty OK as far as 1 on 1 coverage down the sidelines or on long passes but that middle of field is always open and if you look back, so many of the key completions made by the opposing QB come from passes down the middle or crossing patterns.

House of Steel
    WE NEED TO CORRECT THAT!!! I've been noticing this since last season. We are suspects in the middle of the passing protection. I don't think Ryan Clark is the answer. I don't know about Anthony Smith sitting back there, but I think we need more speed or more instinct toward the middle. Something has to be changed in the gameplans for us to get any better. It sickens me when we let a long pass down the middle go wide open. I think more teams are realizing, hey this is how you can beat the Steelers in the game. Pass down the middle, that is our weak exposure. You would think Cowher would fix that in a heartbeat along with LeBeau. Crossing patterns as you mention, TG, is another big setback also. Good points.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    It's an issue with the zone blitz..if you don't get the pressure that the defense is designed to put on the offense, it normally leaves the middle of the field wide open in that soft zone that's been vacated by a persuing LB, safety, or lineman that can't recover from getting beat on the play.

If you get that pressure the QB doesnt have time to set and through the ball because he's running for his life, getting sacked, or just throwing it away.

Thread Information