Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Where the hell did the defense go !!??

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Our defense just doesnt have that killer instinct in the 2nd half anymore. We're missing tackles, dropping interceptions, taking bad angles on the ball carrier and not staying in our gaps with the front 7. Our defense is designed to play with the lead or play in a close game and dictate to the opposing offense what we want them to do, and to this point they've only done that twice this year. Week 1 and last week. Otherwise they are just not flying to the ball and taking over games like we're used to seeing.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Our defense just doesnt have that killer instinct in the 2nd half anymore. We're missing tackles, dropping interceptions, taking bad angles on the ball carrier and not staying in our gaps with the front 7. Our defense is designed to play with the lead or play in a close game and dictate to the opposing offense what we want them to do, and to this point they've only done that twice this year. Week 1 and last week. Otherwise they are just not flying to the ball and taking over games like we're used to seeing.
    The real fustrating part is also this basically the same group from last year. The only two players missing from last year squad is Chris Hope and Kemo. So there is no excuse. We havn't had Joey Porter or James Harrison the past two weeks. But today the Falcons had key guys missing on their Oline. The defense can still rebound though. But time is running out.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Yes indeed this is basically the same people, doing the same scheme year after year and we do it better than anyone else. Nobody runs the 34 zone blitz defense like we do...but this year whatever the reason we just dont put teams away and our defense cannot consistently get off the field. 1 drive we stuff them and the next we allow a 70 or 80 yd drive. We stuff them on 1st and 2nd down and then allow a huge play on 3rd down.

Our defense just isnt finishing off teams, now granted they are put in a bad spot by the offense and the turnovers so that doesnt help any, but still when push comes to shove we are getting shoved more than doing the pushing and it sucks !

My Mood
    Mad
    Top Gun why did Mike Vick look like Steve Young today? Plus why did Crumpler look like Kellen Winslow SR. today? The Steelers defense didn't have an answer for those two all-day today. Did the Steelers watch film of the Saints and Giants? Those two teams totally shut down Vick and the Falcons offense.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    The problem is, we allowed Vick to get alitttle confidence throwing the ball and we weren't ready to handle that. We spent all our time worrying about the run and once they started passing we were screwed because that opened up the run again that we had shut down in the first half.

My Mood
    Mad
    The problem is, we allowed Vick to get alitttle confidence throwing the ball and we weren't ready to handle that. We spent all our time worrying about the run and once they started passing we were screwed because that opened up the run again that we had shut down in the first half.
    That is so true. I also thought the Steelers pass rush was terrible. I don't think LeBeau had one of his better called games. I didn't see the Steelers run their cross blitz with the MLB's much today. Thats one of their favorite blitzes.

I just can't believe our QB's combined for over 430 yards passing with 5 TD's and no INT's and we lose the game.

The offense puts up 38 points and the Steelers lose.

It was a very strange game.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Whenever we pass for all those yards we usually lose. It's not our style of football to have to throw so much because it means we are playing out of our element and defense isnt doing it's job and usually means the offense has to play catch up or play in a shoot out because we're overcoming turnovers.

Pass rush? what pass rush! We didn't even have one today if you ask me. We let Vick loose in the 2nd half to run more and we didnt get consistent pressure all day. We're not used to seeing a Steeler team not get to the QB consistently.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Whenever we pass for all those yards we usually lose.
    I agree TG, but we usually lose those games because of picks and puttin the ball on the ground. The more times the ball is put up, (or down) the more chances the other team can grab it.

Can't blame today's loss on how many times the ball was launched. No picks at all--from either of our QB's.

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    ^^^
    But I understand what you're sayin TG, and certainly do agree in principle. I'm just darn proud of BOTH our QB's today--couldn't have asked much better of either one

Our D OTOH... They're "capable" of being the best in the league--I just get the feelin that they're out to lunch. Other than Troy (who stood out the most today) there wasn't a WHOLE lot to speak of...

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Do you think Bill Cowher is coaching like a lameduck coach? I don't know but this sloppy play by the team isn't a typical Bill Cowher coached team. I think he has retirement on his mind after this year and his heart might not be in coaching 100 perecent anymore.

Either in this forum or another one, I was talking about the same exact thing back in like week 2 or 3 B@G. I don't think many at the time agreed with me. I said it then, I'll say it now--As goes the coach, so goes the team.

Bill is NOT the same coach he was last year, and he can't even put it on for the cameras. That fire to win the SB is quenched, and it's affected how he coaches, and it's trickled down to the players. I just know there's not nearly enough of "The Chin".

I really really like Bill, but if he didn't wanna coach this year, he should've done what the Bus did, and not drag us through a year of humiliation.

The embarrassment of falling rises or lessens with how far you have to fall. Falling from SB world champions to this is...heartbreaking. It would've been easier if we'd not really done anything last year, because we'd have had nothing to back up with this year's play.

I think it's worse too, because I know that the "level" of talent is there--they're just not tappin into it--at least not consistently enough.

Thread Information