Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Parker says Steelers have become too predictable; Tomlin speaks out!

Bookmark and Share

Parker says Steelers have become too predictable; Tomlin speaks out!

Link to story...
    By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Wednesday, December 10, 2008

Willie Parker said today that the Steelers have become too predictable when they run out of two tight-end sets and added that he would welcome an increased role for the fullback in the offense.

"We bring in two tight ends now, without a fullback, and they know what's coming," Parker said of opposing defenses. "I don't know what it is but it's not been effective."

The Steelers are 23rd in the NFL in rushing (103.8 yards per game).

Parker is the Steelers' leading rusher but he has just 597 rushing yards and is averaging 3.9 yards per carry. The two-time Pro Bowler has been hampered by knee and shoulder problems this season.

The Steelers moved away from using a traditional fullback in 2007, Bruce Arians' first season as offensive coordinator, when Carey Davis beat out Dan Kreider for the starting job. Davis has played sparingly this season as the Steelers have primarily run out of two-tight end formations.

"I definitely love running with a fullback," Parker said. "We've got a fullback but we don't play him that much."

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.
    Back to headlines
    Moore doesn't seem to have an issue with picking up yards!

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by AZ_Steeler View Post
    Link to story...

Moore doesn't seem to have an issue with picking up yards!
    He doesn't?....I guess you didn't see the Colts game when Moore struggled and has a bad against a very weak Colts run defense.....I like Moore a ton and thought he was a great signing and he has saved the Steelers offense this season at times.....But look at the stats both Moore's and Parker's stats are basically identical this year when looking at their rushing stats....In the passing it is Moore hands down.....Moore isn't the savior of the Steelers running game long term.....I also think Willie Parker hasn't been 100 percent most of this and I agree the Steelers are way to predictable on offense.....Anybody that watches the games can see that.....run on first down run on second down.....3rd and long most of the time......

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Maybe Parker should tell his coaches this. Or he can jusr run harder. If everyone knows why they cant run, then why cant they make adjustments? do they not have the right players?

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Well duh, Willie is stating what we already know. We are way too predictable on offense..that's a given in just about any situation you can think of. Both Parker and Moore are better with a good lead FB; Moore is better without one than Parker is but at the same time having one to help get that extra block especially up the middle is huge. Arians will have none of it though because we all know he doesn't like using them.

perhaps he'll listen to what Parker says...then again

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Maybe Parker should tell his coaches this. Or he can jusr run harder. If everyone knows why they cant run, then why cant they make adjustments? do they not have the right players?
    I think its got a lot to do with that weak 0-line. Can't open any holes.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

the question really should be: Would the coach/coaches (bruce ariass) listen? arians has too much of an ego to change anything. his philosophy would be that we are 10-3 and his gong show of an offense has "worked" up to this point. hence, the ego. round and round we go...
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by yinzer View Post
    the question really should be: Would the coach/coaches (bruce ariass) listen? arians has too much of an ego to change anything. his philosophy would be that we are 10-3 and his gong show of an offense has "worked" up to this point. hence, the ego. round and round we go...
    I would hope so because, yes we are 10-3, but it has nothing to do with the Off. We have a 3-10 Off for the most part. We are close to last in running the ball, and that is not how you win in the playoffs. I know that the Ravens won a SB with just Def, but they played a weak Giants team too. The Panthers and the Giants are not so weak this year. and I think its going to be one of those teams that we would face.
    Not to mention the playoffs. We need to be avble to score 20-28 points to win going forward, and we look like 13-16 is about all we are good for. Thats if we get lucky. Our Def put us on the 50 yard line like 4 times on sunday and we came away with Shiat...Tomlin better do something, or We might be the ones getting Cowher next season.....

I would hope so because, yes we are 10-3, but it has nothing to do with the Off. We have a 3-10 Off for the most part. We are close to last in running the ball, and that is not how you win in the playoffs. I know that the Ravens won a SB with just Def, but they played a weak Giants team too. The Panthers and the Giants are not so weak this year. and I think its going to be one of those teams that we would face.
    Not to mention the playoffs. We need to be avble to score 20-28 points to win going forward, and we look like 13-16 is about all we are good for. Thats if we get lucky. Our Def put us on the 50 yard line like 4 times on sunday and we came away with Shiat...Tomlin better do something, or We might be the ones getting Cowher next season.....
    i'm with you 100000000000000000% dean! i love threads like this... when players voice their opinions. we have to establish some type of run game. period. i know people want to throw blame around with the O line but the O line ain't goin anywhere THIS year. it's up to ariass to come up with a game plan that will give us the best shot. i know nothing about being an offensive coordinator but when players, FOR THE SECOND TIME in the season, go public and voice their disgust with this offense, it makes what all of us think more founded.
    RIDICULOUSLY good looking...

My Mood
    Addicted

My Social Networks

Follow Zachintosh66 On Twitter Add Zachintosh66 on Facebook Add Zachintosh66 on Google+ Add Zachintosh66 on Linkedin Visit Zachintosh66's Youtube Channel
    i believe we have been saying this for quite a while now...
    - Zachintosh66 (SCM 1135)

2013 Record: 7-1. (TW 27-6 Rams) (TW 28-0 Raptors) (TW 33-12 Thunder) (TW 7-21 Seminoles) (TW 39-32 Cougars) (TW 23-15 Stealth) (TW 58-8 Force) (TW 31-28 Fury)

[ T-Wolves Web | T-Wolves FB | My Xbox Live: zachintosh66 ]

My Mood
    Sunshine
    Here's a comparison of Parker and Moore:

Game..............Parker...................Moore

Texans...........25-138 = 5.5...........0

Browns...........28-105 =3.8............0

Eagles............13-20 =1.5.............1-6 =6

Ravens............0...........................8-13 =1.6

Jaguars...........0...........................17-99 = 5.8

Bengals..........0............................20--120 = 6.0

Giants............0...........................19--84 = 4.4

Redskins........21--70 = 3.3.............4 -2 = -0.5

Colts..............0.............................2 4--57 = 2.4

Chargers.........25--115 = 4.6............1 -1 = -1

Bengals..........14--37 = 2.6..............15--56 = 3.7

Patriots...........16--87 = 5.4..............12--67 = 5.6

Cowboys.........12--25 = 2.1..............5--22 = 4.4

Its time for Arians and his fullback Cary Davis to hit the road.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

Thread Information