Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Steelers, Cowboys feature high-profile QBs

Bookmark and Share

Steelers, Cowboys feature high-profile QBs

By Scott Brown
    TRIBUNE-REVIEW
    Thursday, December 4, 2008

Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger and Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo played in the same foursome at a celebrity golf tournament this summer at Lake Tahoe.

The two have many things in common, aside from a love of golf.

They are the faces of flagship franchises. They play for teams with rabid fans who toast and occasionally roast them. They have transcended their sport in their respective city. They have been romantically linked to other celebrities.

The similarities between the two don't end there.

"We're both kind of the risky, gunslinger-type, if you will," Roethlisberger said.

Heinz Field seems like an unlikely place for the two to stage a shootout Sunday for several reasons, not the least of which is the Steelers' propensity for turning opposing quarterbacks into punching bags. All eyes, however, will be on Roethlisberger and Romo, as the teams that have combined to win 10 Super Bowls meet for the first time since 2004.

Fortunately for the Steelers and Cowboys, neither quarterback has shown an aversion to the spotlight.

Roethlisberger won a Super Bowl before his 25th birthday, and Romo is in the process of re-writing the Cowboys' record books.

The latter has become something of a crossover star, given that he is almost as likely to pop up in the tabloids as in sports magazines. That is what happens when you date a pop singer such as Jessica Simpson -- and become as adept at dodging paparazzi as you do opposing pass rushers.

Roethlisberger is not exactly a hermit when he is away from the Steelers' South Side training facility, but even he suggested that all of the attention Romo receives might be a little suffocating.

"I don't mean this to sound rude, but he's asking for it," Roethlisberger said. "He's dating high-profile, he's doing all the stuff he wants to do. That's the life that he chooses to live off the football field, and that's his choice."

Asked if Romo has become more of a celebrity than a quarterback, Steelers safety Ryan Clark said, "I don't know. I had to stop reading US Weekly and all of that stuff. I felt kind of feminine, so I really haven't been up on it. I do know that's he's an awesome quarterback."

The numbers back up Clark's claim.

Romo leads the NFL in passer rating (103.2), has six 300-yard passing games and has thrown 21 touchdown passes (and just eight interceptions) despite missing three games with a broken pinkie.

For all of the gaudy numbers he has put up, the one thing Romo hasn't done is won enough -- or at least won when it matters.

The Cowboys are 0-2 in playoff games he has started, and one of the most successful franchises in NFL history has not won a postseason game since 1996.

Like everything else in his life, such as questions about Simpson and wide receiver Terrell Owens -- the real diva in his life -- Romo takes the Cowboys' postseason failures in stride.

"I just don't sit back and read and listen and all of that stuff, and I try not to make it bigger than it is," Romo said. "I play a game for a living. I'm pretty lucky to do that. I figure as long as you work as hard as you can, I can accept that outcome. What else are you supposed to do?"

Scott Brown can be reached at sbrown@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    I think there is a huge difference between these two. I am not sold on romo, I dont care what his numbers say. The number that sticks out for me is playoff wins. 0... He chokes, and his most memorable moment is fumbling a field goal try. That is Romo no matter what he does on Sunday, and he still needs to prove he can win a big game in the playoffs. until that day, to me he is overpaid, and over rated. What QB wouldn't have big numbers with those WR? all he hasd to do is toss it up. Ben is a proven winner with big game victories under his belt. Romo is just another QB. Hell, Breeze has good numbers too, but I would never trade Ben for either one of those guys.

Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    I think there is a huge difference between these two. I am not sold on romo, I dont care what his numbers say. The number that sticks out for me is playoff wins. 0... He chokes, and his most memorable moment is fumbling a field goal try. That is Romo no matter what he does on Sunday, and he still needs to prove he can win a big game in the playoffs. until that day, to me he is overpaid, and over rated. What QB wouldn't have big numbers with those WR? all he hasd to do is toss it up. Ben is a proven winner with big game victories under his belt. Romo is just another QB. Hell, Breeze has good numbers too, but I would never trade Ben for either one of those guys.
    Romo's only been in 2 playoff games lol. The 1st year he had only 7 or 8 games under his belt right before the playoffs came. I just think its laughable how everyone talks about Romo being a choker when A)he's only been in 2 playoff games and B) he's never choked at quarterback. He fumbled a snap and almost ran it in for a touchdown. If the Cowboys fail in the playoffs it won't be because of him.

And as far as waht qb wouldn't have big numbers with those receivers? Well Bledsoe couldn't do it and well we saw Brooks Bollinger and Brad Johnson. They collectively couldn't score more than 7 points together. You can have all the pro bowlers you want but if you can't get the ball to them its pointless.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by rocyaice View Post
    Romo's only been in 2 playoff games lol. The 1st year he had only 7 or 8 games under his belt right before the playoffs came. I just think its laughable how everyone talks about Romo being a choker when A)he's only been in 2 playoff games and B) he's never choked at quarterback. He fumbled a snap and almost ran it in for a touchdown. If the Cowboys fail in the playoffs it won't be because of him.

And as far as waht qb wouldn't have big numbers with those receivers? Well Bledsoe couldn't do it and well we saw Brooks Bollinger and Brad Johnson. They collectively couldn't score more than 7 points together. You can have all the pro bowlers you want but if you can't get the ball to them its pointless.
    Romo was the reason they lost to the giants last year. He sucked, and he choked. The team around him didn't fail, he did. Bledsoe is by far a better QB then Romo, just not at the time he was playing there. He was finished at that point. And yes Romo is better then most back ups, but does that mean he elite? I think not. Just because you got a big wee wee doesn't mean you can F*$%. Romo needs to win big games, and lead his team to victory.

Romo was the reason they lost to the giants last year. He sucked, and he choked. The team around him didn't fail, he did. Bledsoe is by far a better QB then Romo, just not at the time he was playing there. He was finished at that point. And yes Romo is better then most back ups, but does that mean he elite? I think not. Just because you got a big wee wee doesn't mean you can F*$%. Romo needs to win big games, and lead his team to victory.
    Cowboys were put in positions to beat the Giants numerous times. Patrick Crayton who rarely drops the football decided to drop 2 balls straight in his hand. TO didn't play well but he tried to rush back from that ankle injury but he wasn't even 50% out there. It was a collective effort for the loss. But Romo put them in a position to win twice and they dropped the ball.

I'm not expecting for you to say Romo is better than Ben R but he's the real deal. He's a solid qb in this league. The Steelers players themselves have said as much. Romo is a top 5 qb in this league. Anyone who says otherwise just has hate in their veins. To take that next level he needs to get a playoff victory. But first we have to get in the playoffs.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Ben, Brady, Mannings 1 and 2, Cutler, Breeze, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Warner, Garcia, Leftwich, Rogers, Farve, and I'm sure that there are some that I am leaving out, but all I would choose over Romo. Stats dont tell the story more than big wins, and how well a QB deals with pressure. Romo I will not rule out of being a big game QB in the future, but the players above I think already are or are going to be far better them Romo.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Until you win playoff games and prove your worth in the postseason in some fashion you can't be referred to an elite QB in this league. Im not saying Romo can't win playoff games but so far he hasn't proven it so we shall see. He's young and has a lot to learn yet as to most of the young QB's in this league but at this point I'll take Ben in a hot second over Romo no matter what the situation.

Ben, Brady, Mannings 1 and 2, Cutler, Breeze, McNabb, Hasselbeck, Warner, Garcia, Leftwich, Rogers, Farve, and I'm sure that there are some that I am leaving out, but all I would choose over Romo. Stats dont tell the story more than big wins, and how well a QB deals with pressure. Romo I will not rule out of being a big game QB in the future, but the players above I think already are or are going to be far better them Romo.
    Why would you take McNabb when he's choked more in the post season or shall I say Super Bowl than most of those guys have choked in their whole career? You'd seriously take Leftwich, Rogers, Favre, Cutler, Brees and Hasselbeck over Romo? Why? Especally Leftwich lol? And Cutler hasn't done anything in this league yet if you want to discredit Romo. Jeff Garcia? Goodness. I'll give you Brady and Peyton. Maybe even Ben R. I'm shocked you didn't bring up Carson Palmer. He's better than most of those guys you listed.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Favre for sure, Brees as well. Cutler would be about 50-50 for me. Palmer when he's healthy and protected is as good as any QB in the league. Obvioulsy this year he's been hurt and the Bengals aer a trainwreck but his previous track record is pretty impressive considering how many bad teams he's played on. Right now Romo is no better or worse than Rogers who's actually having a really good year even though the Pack have started a downward spiral he's a bright spot on that team.

My Mood
    Cheerful
    Quote Originally Posted by rocyaice View Post
    Why would you take McNabb when he's choked more in the post season or shall I say Super Bowl than most of those guys have choked in their whole career? You'd seriously take Leftwich, Rogers, Favre, Cutler, Brees and Hasselbeck over Romo? Why? Especally Leftwich lol? And Cutler hasn't done anything in this league yet if you want to discredit Romo. Jeff Garcia? Goodness. I'll give you Brady and Peyton. Maybe even Ben R. I'm shocked you didn't bring up Carson Palmer. He's better than most of those guys you listed.
    McNabb has played in 4 straight NFC title games, and a SB. He is the reason that team got there. Yeah, he gave up in the SB IMO, but he is still a winner, and has been winnng since he came into the league. I like Hasselfag, and I think if you put him on a better team, say Giants, he would have better numbers then Eli. If you stuck Romo behind the Steelers OL, he would have been out in week 2 or 3. He broke a nail, and had to sit 3 games. Cutler has just has many playoff wins as Romo, and to me looks better tossing that rock. I hate Denver, and it kills me to say this but Cutler could end up being the best QB within 4 years. Farve's body of work speaks for itself, and Leftwich's toughness and heart to me is a far bigger attribute then anything Romo brings to the table. Besides the fact he has a hose for an arm, and is pretty dang accurate. Same thing with Palmer who I forgot about. And there is no maybe with Ben. He is better then Romo. Romo has done nothing in this league, and has no playoff wins to hang a hat on. What is Romo best known for on the football field? I say its a fumbled snap to help his team win a playoff game. Now ask that same question about Ben......

Thread Information