Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Attack the Ratbirds secondary

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Attack the Ratbirds secondary

That's where they are vulnerable; we saw last year and this year as well that the way to beat the Ratbirds is really to attack those corners and the secondary in general. As long as you watch out for Ed Reed and don't give him any easy picks you can beat them in that area. They are too fast, just like we are, to try and bounce it outside on runs so you need to back off the blitz and them crowding the line by airing it out with quick drops, roll outs, and using that intermediate passing game. Once you do that then you can start to run alittle more because they have to respect the pass.

The ratbird D is like ours, you won't make a living running against it all day so you need to take advantage of the opportunities. Plus if you watch them they really swarm to the ball like we do so if you can get some draws, delayed handoffs, screens, etc. you can be effective, the key with that though is to really sell out on the pass and then at the very last second dump it off so the first wave has already committed and you can get past them.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree Top. Spread them out with 3 WR sets. Have Moore coming out of the backfield and use Miller! The draws and screen passes could be key for the Steelers moving the ball and taking advantage of an aggressive D. Once they back off a bit then they should be able to mix in the run a little with better results.

Space Invaders Champion, Asteroids Champion NOVA STEELERS's Avatar
    My Mood
    Wicked
    Hey TG ......... Did you cc.. Arians on this memo

If you all recall we had RB's dropping like flies last meeting with the Rats. Moore did find some wiggle room and was able to move the ball against them.

Going into this game will be diffrent, now we will know who is running the ball. I still think we can run a little...

No huddle will be key, long drives will be key, ray ray will wear down same with suggs etc etc....They don't have the depth we do.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I like the no huddle approach as well Latrobe; the Ratbirds love to slow the tempo of the game down and run as much as possible to keep the pressure of Flacco. We need to use the weapons we have to our advantage and speed up the tempo of this game on both sides of the ball. Use the no huddle, spread the defense out, roll out Ben, quick snap counts, short drops, etc. I like matchup of Ben vs the Ratbirds secondary for the most part, especially our TE's. The ratbirds are not very big on D they are quick though so big guys like Heath and Matt are so vital and such great targets.

My Mood
    Sunshine
    This no huddle you talk about,seems I recall some mention of this offense in the off season.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

I agree but with the power of their pass rush it's also important to make quick drops and consider hot routes whenever possible. I'm also thinking MM should maybe start at the RB position this game. He gives us the short drop off pass options that are going to be key when the pocket collapses. That would give us up to 5 or 6 pass threats we can use against them at any one time without sacrificing our running game.

-Steelers70
    Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death I shall fear no evil... For I am the meanest S.O.B. in the valley.

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by LatrobePA View Post
    No huddle will be key, long drives will be key, ray ray will wear down same with suggs etc etc....They don't have the depth we do.
    I was thinking the same thing. I say come out on the first drive with the no huddle, we also need to show them packages they hardly see or have never seen. Go against anything they've seen on game film. Our D can handle their offense, but our offense needs to dial it up big time.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

My Mood
    Addicted
    I agree spread them Rats out 3-4 reciever sets an Ben should dink an dunk them, I also think they should run the no huddle to start the game we have to jump on the Rats early to get that double digit lead, an take the Rats outta there game plan an make Faggo beat us through the airBecause u know our Defense is not gonna let the Rats throw on us

STEELER NATION RULES
    My Mood
    Clowns
    Agree on all accounts here and want to emphasize CHANGING THE SNAP COUNT!!! We are way too predictable whether it is pass or rush. A D like the ratbirds will tee off on us. We need to mix things up in all phases of our Offense. It just seems like they are not good enough to make the coaches feel comfortable enough to try it.....

Thread Information