Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Portis unloads frustration on Redskins coach Zorn

Bookmark and Share
    WaterBoy

Portis unloads frustration on Redskins coach Zorn

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3758372

WASHINGTON -- Washington Redskins running back Clinton Portis unleashed a load of frustration toward rookie coach Jim Zorn on Tuesday, criticizing him for giving inconsistent messages and sarcastically calling Zorn a "genius."

Portis, in his weekly appearance on ESPN 980 radio, was still smarting from his lack of playing time in Sunday's 24-10 loss to the Baltimore Ravens, when he was removed from the game after the first series of the second half.

"Either you feel like you need to sever ties with me -- split ties with me -- but don't sit here and throw me out like I don't pay attention, like I don't know what's going on, like I'm making mistakes, like I'm the problem," Portis said. "It is what it is, bro."
    I honestly feel like Portis is right on the money. Zorn while starting off on fire this year has been figured out and doesnt know how to adjust. Benching Portis in the 2nd half was insane in my opinion. I really feel like my Skins are falling apart before my eyes and we might even lose to the lol.

The good thing is maybe Cowher Power will be in DC in 2009.

It all starts at the top...and that is way above Zorn. I don't think you'll ever have a great team because your owner is a nut case.

My Mood
    Addicted
    I heard on ESPN radio last night that Campbell doesn't know all the plays and that is what is really hurting them. The defenses have adjusted to what they have been doing and Zorn has no plays to call to properly adjust back due to this.
    They were also talking how it takes most QB's 2-3 years to fully understand the a full play book.
    Not saying this is the case, just what I heard.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Cowher in Washington now? Sheesh.. when does all the rumor **** end? There are gonna be a lot of sad people when everyone finds out Cowher isn't going anywhere.

Dunno what Zorn thinks half the time, but if your best back is healthy (arguably a top 5 back).. he gets the majority of the work. Don't see too many coaches pull RBs like some do to QBs looking for an offensive spark..

Portis stats
    Rush 11/32/0 | Rec 3/14/0 (one fumble lost)

Betts stats
    Rush 6/3/0 | Rec 3/57/0

Doesn't even justify pulling Portis since Betts got 9 touches. I'll call Zorn up personally and bitch becasue Portis is killing my only playoff bound FF team..

WaterBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    It all starts at the top...and that is way above Zorn. I don't think you'll ever have a great team because your owner is a nut case.
    I agree man. It really does all start with Snyder. Since he has ran this team in 1999 he has done nothing but give me heartache. In 1999 the Skins won there only NFC East Title that I have seen. That wasnt his doing though since he came in during May of that year. Since this time we have let go of key players like Brad Johnson after the 2000 season(who went on to win a SB in Tampa Bay), fired Norv Turner with a 7-6 record in 2000, brought in Schottenheimer and let him go after one 8-8 season when we won 8 of our last 11 games. Brought in Steve Spurrier (nuff said).

Bringing Joe Gibbs back was his only smart move since he rebuild the Redskins and got us into the playoffs 2 times in his 4 years in Washington. Now that Gibbs has been gone the Skins bring in Zorn who I knew from the start was a poor choice, draft 3 Offensive Players when we needed to rebuild the lines, and have really overall left this team now once again at 7-6 like in 2000 in a mess with 3 games to go.

Id give Zorn a chance in these last 3 games to see if he can save this season and win the players back. If not id let him go b/c he doesnt know how to adjust in games and overall is very basic. The Skins need a GM who can manage this team in the right direction (Vinny Cerrato is trash) or bring in a coaching great like Cowher and give him full power to rebuild a winner. I agree Snyder is the problem and the sooner he lets someone else handle football decisions the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Steelersfan View Post
    I heard on ESPN radio last night that Campbell doesn't know all the plays and that is what is really hurting them. The defenses have adjusted to what they have been doing and Zorn has no plays to call to properly adjust back due to this.
    They were also talking how it takes most QB's 2-3 years to fully understand the a full play book.
    Not saying this is the case, just what I heard.
    I think thats just poor coaching honestly. Zorn is the Head Coach he needs to get his QB ready to play. I think Campbell knows more than 5 or 6 plays though b/c that seems like all were running. The same 5 or 6 plays that cant build long scoring drives. The Skins need to open up the playbook and Zorn needs to learn how to adjust alot better.

Quote Originally Posted by BR7 View Post
    Cowher in Washington now? Sheesh.. when does all the rumor shiat end? There are gonna be a lot of sad people when everyone finds out Cowher isn't going anywhere.

Dunno what Zorn thinks half the time, but if your best back is healthy (arguably a top 5 back).. he gets the majority of the work. Don't see too many coaches pull RBs like some do to QBs looking for an offensive spark..

Portis stats
    Rush 11/32/0 | Rec 3/14/0 (one fumble lost)

Betts stats
    Rush 6/3/0 | Rec 3/57/0

Doesn't even justify pulling Portis since Betts got 9 touches. I'll call Zorn up personally and bitch becasue Portis is killing my only playoff bound FF team..
    It wouldnt shock me to see Cowher in DC next year but at the same time he could stay at CBS. He really seems to like it there. I respect Cowher alot and I think he is a man who can lead the Redskins into the future.

The Portis/Betts situation is laughable honestly. I dont know how you can bench your star RB, right now a MVP canidate, for the whole half. It really makes no sense. I thought Portis was injured but it was just Zorn being Zorn lol.
    Last edited by RedskinsSince96; 12-10-2008 at 03:27 PM.

Polamalu Island or Seattle. Its the same place.
    My Mood
    Cheerful
    Zorn is doing just fine as a coach. He made a mistake not playing Portis, but he will learn from it. Tomlin made plenty of mistakes last year, and this year. If I'm the owner of the Skins, I keep my coach in place. Zorn will get it done, and he will get what ever QB is playing ready in time. Time, it takes time to get these QB ready to play at a hight level, and if you go switching them out, QB, OC and coaches, its going to take that much longer. 2 or 3 years is normal to learn a system. Not everyone can be like Ben.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by RedskinsSince96 View Post
    http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3758372

I honestly feel like Portis is right on the money. Zorn while starting off on fire this year has been figured out and doesnt know how to adjust. Benching Portis in the 2nd half was insane in my opinion. I really feel like my Skins are falling apart before my eyes and we might even lose to the lol.

The good thing is maybe Cowher Power will be in DC in 2009.
    Cowher may be with the redskins. He's talked to the Browns too.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

..:: SIXBURGH ::..
    Maybe both Cowher and Sh!tenhammer will both go to Cleveland for a reunion tour. Marty ball calling the offense and Billy ball calling the conseravitive defense.

But back on topic, lol.. I think Zorn will be fine as a coach. Everything seemed just peachy in DC until they started losing, now everyone is calling him out. As Dean said, it takes time to learn an offense, hell.. email Kordell, he will say the same

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by BR7 View Post
    Maybe both Cowher and Sh!tenhammer will both go to Cleveland for a reunion tour. Marty ball calling the offense and Billy ball calling the conseravitive defense.

But back on topic, lol.. I think Zorn will be fine as a coach. Everything seemed just peachy in DC until they started losing, now everyone is calling him out. As Dean said, it takes time to learn an offense, hell.. email Kordell, he will say the same
    I saw a interview with Kordell afew weeks ago. He wants to come back to the NFL.

I pledge allegiance to the flag of the united steeler nation.
    And to the franchise for which it stands. One nation of domination
    With the ability to crush you all.

WaterBoy
    Quote Originally Posted by Dean Denton View Post
    Zorn is doing just fine as a coach. He made a mistake not playing Portis, but he will learn from it. Tomlin made plenty of mistakes last year, and this year. If I'm the owner of the Skins, I keep my coach in place. Zorn will get it done, and he will get what ever QB is playing ready in time. Time, it takes time to get these QB ready to play at a hight level, and if you go switching them out, QB, OC and coaches, its going to take that much longer. 2 or 3 years is normal to learn a system. Not everyone can be like Ben.
    From watching the last 8 games the Redskins have played it has shown the offense is the problem and not the players knowing the system. Hopefully you are right and in time Zorns offense will become better with more experience from the players in it. I just feel like Zorn doesnt know how to adjust when teams shut something down. These last 8 games watching the Redskins with there talent on offense just fall flat is sad. Campbell has played in the WCO offense before, but the problem with him is hes just not a accurate QB.

Overall Zorns offensive gameplans are flawed. The players know enough plays then what is being put out on the field. The offense has become very predictable and its a serious problem. Hopefully you are right about Zorn and Campbell for my teams sake. I know Campbell aint no Big Ben but Campbell has started 33 games now. He doesnt seem like a very accurate QB.

Thread Information