Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Running back by committee is not working

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Exclamation Running back by committee is not working

This 2 headed running attack by committe thing just is not working for this team. Parker was completely shut down yesterday and really hasn't been consistent all year since he's been hurt so much. Last week against the Pats you could see he wasn't able to plant that left knee and cut with any stability at all and this week Dallas just had his number.

Moore was just effective enough to make some plays and really he was the hotter hand of the too. Arians said he will play the hot hand no matter who it is but that strategy seems to be to wrong one. I understand you want the most effective guy out there and all that but in the midst of you trying to figure out who is having the better day you're QB is getting killed and the offense is stalling out. Honestly when is the last time you saw a Steeler team with the weak link being the running game? I know it's been quite awhile and this year though is worse than ever. We just cannot consistently do anything in the ground game. 1 week we're rushing for 150-200 yds and the next we can't even break 70 yds much less 100. At this point as much as I love Parker we may be better off just putting in Moore right from the start and using Parker in a limited role till we see how he's going to respond.

Russell is doing tremendous both on kickoff returns and short yardage; he's doing all he's asked and then some. He's our power guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. All I know is that heading into the postseason we better figure out something because we can ill afford an ineffective running attack in the playoffs.

10-3 with NO running game at all. This will bite us in the *** real soon headed down the stretch.

Put a fork in FWP, he's done here fellas, he hits the hole and stops, he has no push. He can't catch the dump offs...Put a fork'n fork in him!!

Moore is $$$$ but he can only do so much, he's not meant to be our feature back. Damn it sucks 34 is out, I think he'd had a huge year!

Someway we need to get this fixed, we all know there is NO running against the Rats!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

seriously, i think the deal about our running game is the play-calling. It is SO obvious when we run. Ben just turns around, stiff arm and holds it there untill someone grabs the ball. Seriously, even a high school team would be able to see that one comming. We to run some more tricky plays.. Delayed hand-offs and such, so that its not always obvious that we are running. I mean for god sake.. Their O-line's got SO much time to see where we'll run. Not that it matters because its always up the middle. You hardly ever see a pitch to willie, which you'd think would be great since he is so fast, but no..
    However much you think you know about football, rest assured that Skip Bayless knows more!

Reppin' 724
    I hate to say it, b/c I love FWP so much....but not having Medenhall is killing us right now.

killing us

My Mood
    Sunshine
    I've said in another thread Willie should be on the bench until healthy he's hurting the team more than helping. Moore on the other hand averaged 4.4 YPC trouble is ,he only got the ball 5 times.

Gary Russell should be given more carries to see what he can do. Unless we bring back Davenport , these are our choices.
    It's no fun when the rabbit has the gun

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    This 2 headed running attack by committe thing just is not working for this team. Parker was completely shut down yesterday and really hasn't been consistent all year since he's been hurt so much. Last week against the Pats you could see he wasn't able to plant that left knee and cut with any stability at all and this week Dallas just had his number.

Moore was just effective enough to make some plays and really he was the hotter hand of the too. Arians said he will play the hot hand no matter who it is but that strategy seems to be to wrong one. I understand you want the most effective guy out there and all that but in the midst of you trying to figure out who is having the better day you're QB is getting killed and the offense is stalling out. Honestly when is the last time you saw a Steeler team with the weak link being the running game? I know it's been quite awhile and this year though is worse than ever. We just cannot consistently do anything in the ground game. 1 week we're rushing for 150-200 yds and the next we can't even break 70 yds much less 100. At this point as much as I love Parker we may be better off just putting in Moore right from the start and using Parker in a limited role till we see how he's going to respond.

Russell is doing tremendous both on kickoff returns and short yardage; he's doing all he's asked and then some. He's our power guy and I wouldn't mind seeing more of him. All I know is that heading into the postseason we better figure out something because we can ill afford an ineffective running attack in the playoffs.

Now weren't there a couple of us that said this months ago???...........................

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post
    I hate to say it, b/c I love FWP so much....but not having Medenhall is killing us right now.

killing us
    i don't think mendenhall would help because tomlin's inability to split carries, he just doesn't know how to do it, willie should average 1 carry a game while any other running back on this team should have the rest...........lol
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by TEEMONT View Post

killing us

You and I are probably 2 of the bigger FWP supporters on here and we all know he's got the talent to do it he's proven that. However this year he is just not right, that knee is not healed and he's not running with authority. He can't make his cuts and he's clearly struggling. The only remedy for him is time to rest and we won't have that luxury until the season is over; even if we get a bye week that will help but he's missed so much time that it's affecting him.

I love seeing Moore run, the dude is doing all he can but we are definitely missing Mendenhall right now and we all knew his absence late in the season was going to be a problem. Even though he's a rookie had he been healthy all year he'd be finding his stride and playing better each week if he was in there.

Right now we are what we are, we're a passing team that runs just enough to get the job done. That's ok for now but in the playoffs it's going to be a tough road. Our defense and ST though are going to have to be carry the load to keep us in games.

My Mood
    Addicted
    The Steelers play action is horrid too. They need to do that more and do it better.

Guys don't forget we have a high school level (at best) OC....His play calling has been LAME ***!!
    "Happy Happy Happy"

Thread Information