Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: AFC North title and bye week in the playoffs on the line next week in Baltimore...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    texans-hater

AFC North title and bye week in the playoffs on the line next week in Baltimore...

Well fellas it comes down to next Sunday in Baltimore here finally once and for all. There is so much on the line in this game here in terms of what the Steelers can clinch and set themselves up for if they win this game and what will happen to them should they lose this game and drop out of first place. This is definitely one of the biggest regular season games in years for this Steelers team I believe because so much is at stake. A win by the Steelers not only clinches the AFC North Title but also will clinch a first round bye for the playoffs and at the very worst a number 2 seed. A Jets loss today to the 49ers made this scenario possible to happen next week should the Steelers win. A Steelers win also makes that game in Tennessee the following week huge as well because it will then force the Titans to win that game against the Steelers, and the game the following week in Indianapolis to secure homefield advantage in the playoffs. One more Steelers loss and a Titans win next week in Houston would wrap up homefield advantage and the number 1 overall seed for the Titans.

In contrast however, should the Steelers lose in Baltimore next Sunday the Ravens would then be in first place in the AFC North and hold the tiebraker because they would have the better division record for the time being at 5-1 to the Steelers which would only be 4-1. So while the Ravens wont win the AFC North with a win over the Steelers next week they will certainly make the Steelers lives miserable the last 2 weeks of the season should they win that game. The Steelers would then need to win out against Tennessee and Cleveland and have the Ravens lose either at Dallas which by the way I think will definitely happen, or against the Jags in Baltimore. The bottom line is next week in Baltimore everything the Steelers want and need to get for the playoffs and to make a serious run at the Super Bowl is all right there for them in Baltimore next Sunday. Plus, as I also mentioned a win will still give the Steelers a very legit chance to catch the Titans for that number 1 overall seed in the AFC. A loss puts the Ravens in first place and drops the Steelers to the number 6 seed in the playoffs in the AFC, and no longer puts them in control of their own destiny to win thE AFC North Division which is something you never ever want to have happen. With all that being said, and for everything and so much that is on the line next Sunday in Baltimore this is most definitely a MUST win MUST have game for the Steelers. It's time to break that 6 year drought in Baltimore and take the division crown on their own turf which would make it all the more sweet.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    The Steelers are 6-6 all time in Baltimore against the Ravens....I don't know what their record was when the Colts use to play in Baltimore...lol

Ok but this series has taken some weird turns....The Steelers lost the first game to the Ravens in Baltimore....Then won the next 6 in Baltimore....But have dropped their last five there.....Talk about strange....lol There has been some strange games there as well....

Back in 97- Kordell was terrible (throwing three INTs) in the first half and the Steelers were at least down by three TDs at halftime.....Then in the second half Kordell leads the Steelers back with a strong second half to win the game....Will Blackwell also returned a kickoff for a TD in this game...

In 2000-The Steelers won 9-6......Steelers were 9-7 that year and of course the Ravens went on to win the Super Bowl

2001-The Steelers clinch the AFC Central with a win in Baltimore against the defending Super Bowl champs.......Big play in that game was a 90 yard TD pass....Kordell to Bobby Shaw.....

2003-The 6-10 Steelers lost in OT 13-10....Which their only TD came on a fake punt...lol Jamal also went over the 2000 yard mark.....

2004-Of course Tommy Maddox started the game and was injured....Ben entered in the second game of the season and his first NFL action game down 20-0....lol

2005-Tommy Maddox started in place of an injured Big Ben and lost the game for the Steelers....

Sorry to go off topic but just wanted to share some of my memories over the years when the Steelers play the Ravens in Baltimore.....Since some weird games have taken place over the years....Who knows what is going to happen Sunday.....

But the Steelers control their own destiny which I prefer...If they win they are the division champs and have a shot for homefield throughout the play-offs.....Its going to be war and as history has pointed we shouldn't expect the expected in this game...lol
    Last edited by Black@Gold Forever32; 12-08-2008 at 01:07 AM.

Gold Standard

Need To Win Out For Homefield

The Colts are just a game behind us with a relatively easy schedule. The first tiebreaker is head to head and they beat us. Should we lose one more and they win out we would be a 3 or 4 seed. Even if we beat the Ravens the #2 seed is still not decided. We would need to also beat the Titans to ensure the first round bye. Should be interesting.
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackGold4vr View Post
    The Colts are just a game behind us with a relatively easy schedule. The first tiebreaker is head to head and they beat us. Should we lose one more and they win out we would be a 3 or 4 seed. Even if we beat the Ravens the #2 seed is still not decided. We would need to also beat the Titans to ensure the first round bye. Should be interesting.
    Did the Titans clinch the AFC South today?....If so then the Colts can't get the number 2 seed since the bye weeks are reserved for division champions....

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Did the Titans clinch the AFC South today?....If so then the Colts can't get the number 2 seed since the bye weeks are reserved for division champions....
    yeah the titans clinched...........
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post

What was I thinking? You are right. Colts are relegated to a wildcard no matter what they do. Thanks for setting me straight!
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

Warren, OH. It's about a hour & 45 minutes NW from the Burgh.
    The Steelers better get some offense going when they play the Ravens next weekend or they might as well forget it. The Dallas game was good to win especially since the Steelers didn't play their best ball, but man, we can't expect them to keep winning like this unless this Pittsburgh offense starts returning the defense's stellar play with some of their own. The Ravens are playing well right now so the Steelers need to play on all cylinders in order to go to Baltimore and get the win. It's time to rise up and claim what is ours: the AFC north division title!

My Mood
    Mad
    No problem 4ver we all have brain farts......

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    This is going to be the game of the year, I cannot wait for this matchup. As a fan you love to see this type of scenario play out against a division rival and a team that you love to hate so much. You can bet the Ravens will be ramped up for this one and we will be as well. We pulled out a show stopper yesterday against Dallas to put ourselves in this position so we need to seize the opportunity and take it from them in their own home.

Flacco was inconsistent last night and really didn't do anything until that last TD in the 4th to seal the deal. The Ravens will try and pound pound pound to keep the pass rush pressure off Flacco so we should expect a heavy dose of mcclain, rice, and mcgahee next weekend. Conversely we need to strech that Ravens D out and spread them thin so they can't crowd the line. We've got the weapons to do it but we can't get into a situation where we get behind early on. We need to take the crowd out of it right from the start.

We get the win next weekend and we are set for the playoffs it's as simple as that.

The Offense has to bring its "A" game if we want to get a win against the Ravens. If we can pull this off I will feel pretty confident going into the playoffs.

Thread Information