Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 2 of many Horrific calls on offense

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

2 of many Horrific calls on offense

1. You NEVER NEVER NEVER go for it when you're down by 10 in the 4th quarter when you have a chance to kick the FG like that. We could have closed the gap to a 1 possession game, and with the way our offense was going that was just about the worst play call you could have at the time. especially after we worked so hard to get that far.

2. Running for it on 4th down right up the middle with Davis no less, who hasn't done **** all year and every Cowboy defender knew what we were going to do. Davis gets stuffed and loses yards and we're still down by 10.

You can blame Tomlin or Arians or both but those 2 were just absolutely mind numbingly terrible calls.

My Mood
    Angry
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    1. You NEVER NEVER NEVER go for it when you're down by 10 in the 4th quarter when you have a chance to kick the FG like that. We could have closed the gap to a 1 possession game, and with the way our offense was going that was just about the worst play call you could have at the time. especially after we worked so hard to get that far.

2. Running for it on 4th down right up the middle with Davis no less, who hasn't done shiat all year and every Cowboy defender knew what we were going to do. Davis gets stuffed and loses yards and we're still down by 10.

You can blame Tomlin or Arians or both but those 2 were just absolutely mind numbingly terrible calls.

I agree!!

When they didn't make the 4th down play instead of going for the FG.....I had pretty much kissed this game bye-bye.

Aside from not being sound strategy the Steelers have got pretty much stuffed when they've tried to convert short yardage this season so what would lead Tomlin/Arians to think anything is going to be different in this game??

Sometimes ya gotta play outside the norm, any coach should have enough faith in his offense to get a yard !! As far as playcalling we all been questioning that all year!!

BITE ME ICS!...Woodsonsgirl

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Thats a tough call! I agree with the field goal, especially after we didn`t get it. But if we would have made it, we would have thought it was the greatest call of the game. We did always bitch about Cowher being conservative.
    Should we have kicked the FG, YES!
    If we would have got the TD, Tomlin would have been a hero!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Going for it on fourth down was a good call imo. Only because we have an amazing defense to back us up if we turn it over on downs.
    The play call on fourth was absolutely terrible. You at least have to put a full back in the backfield. I'm assuming that was all Arians who called that.

But Tomlim figured that his d would stop them and get great field position. They did get one first down but than punted. That did work out thanks to Holmes return.

But the FG was the thing to do. The other problem was the 3 calls before 4th down.
    Last edited by LarryNJ; 12-07-2008 at 08:34 PM.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    That had to be Tomlin's thinking, "well hey if we don't make it our defense will bail us out again". That's all well and good but at some point you have to think ahead and not put your D in that position ALL the time. When you have a chance to get points when you haven't scored any all game long except for the one lone FG you must take them.

If you offense is playing well then maybe you consider going for it on 4th down like that but offense was terrible all game long up to that point.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    A point to make here the Steelers going for it on that fourth and goal allowed the D to play a Dallas O backed up which allowed our offense an short field to do down for the field goal try to make it 13-6.....I had no problem with going it on 4th and goal......

Born in Uniontwon P.A. ready to get back to the Pittsburgh area by 2017
    My Mood
    Horny
    Quote Originally Posted by LarryNJ View Post
    But Tomlim figured that his d would stop them and get great field position. They did get one first down but than punted. That did work out thanks to Holmes return.
    AH Yes! Homes return, I almost forgot! That was huge!

**** Formerly Clevestinks!****
    i como enormes senos

Rookie Free Agent OC Steel Curtain's Avatar
    LOL.. a wins a win.. ill take those calls all day as long as we win

Thread Information