Thread: Steelers Notebook: Simmons likely to return as starter against Falcons

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Steelers Notebook: Simmons likely to return as starter against Falcons

he better play his *** off if he wants to keep his job, cause it seems like everyone was impressed with chris

Saturday, October 21, 2006
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

Kendall Simmons is still enduring some of the minor nuisances of an ice burn on his right foot. Like, not being able to wear flip-flops in rainy weather.

But, with the skin healing better than expected, Simmons was able to practice with the first-team offense and is expected to return as the starter at right guard tomorrow against the Atlanta Falcons.

"I'm fine," Simmons said yesterday after practice. "I'm ready to get back into it."

Simmons did not play in the Steelers' 45-7 victory Sunday against the Kansas City Chiefs after he got the equivalent of frostbite on his right heel when he left a cooling pack on his foot too long. He was replaced by Chris Kemoeatu, who made his first NFL start.

The Steelers kept Simmons, who is a diabetic, out of the game because they were fearful his open wound could become infected.

"It's a lot better than a few days ago," Simmons said, referring to the skin of his heel. "You should have seen it a few days ago. But there's nothing I feel when I take a step."

Simmons isn't the only injured starter on offense who expects to play against the Falcons.

Fullback Dan Kreider (ankle/probable), who was injured against the Chiefs, practiced for the first time this week and should play in the Georgia Dome.

rest of article:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06294/731876-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    If you ask me, I just haven't been that impressed with Kendall the last couple years. He seems to be inconsistent most of the time. We can't judge Chris K. by only 1 game but when he's played last year and against the chiefs he definately seems to be bringing it every opportunity that he gets.

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    If you ask me, I just haven't been that impressed with Kendall the last couple years. He seems to be inconsistent most of the time. We can't judge Chris K. by only 1 game but when he's played last year and against the chiefs he definately seems to be bringing it every opportunity that he gets.
    I agree TG I think we have something in Chris but only time will tell. Need to play the guys making the big money right?

This Kendall Simmons injury was always a little strange to me. Never heard of an ice pack frost bite.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Any player that has to step up for another player is going to play his *** off. I'm not to sure Chris can handle a full season but I'm sure I'm wrong. I myself don'tcare who is playing as long as that guy is helping beat the other team.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    You know I give Kendall Simmons, the benefit of the doubt. It is not easy to live with diabetes. My mother in law and my wife both are diabetic and they surely have their days. Kendall, I don't know how severe his diabetes is, but you know, he is going to have his days believe me where he doesn't play 100%. I am not saying this as an excuse for him, but in reality, I have to cut him a break.

What's the saying... if it ain't broke don't try and fix it! I understand Cowher's decision for bringing Simmons back into the lineup but considering how well the line played last week I would stick with what worked until it didn't work anymore. This is where being loyal can come back to haunt you sometimes! Let's jsut hope it was a wakeup call for Simmons while he watched Chris completely dominate last week!

SA's Biggest Fan
    My Mood
    Fine
    I would hope he plays better! It would/SHOULD be embarrassing to have your back up playing better than you

Thread Information