Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Davenport relishes Steelers' approach

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Ratbirds

Davenport relishes Steelers' approach

pretty good article.....maybe with the way he feels about pittsburgh he'll want to stay even if it is for less money......and f'k green bay, they are bastards fineing ppl for some b.s.

Saturday, October 21, 2006
    By Gerry Dulac, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

After four seasons with the Green Bay Packers, Najeh Davenport is relieved to have a change of scenery. After four years of rules, fines and what he said was an emphasis on upholding a storied image, he is glad to be with a team that can laugh, joke and win. Not to mention not worry about his weight.

Davenport said it is one of the reasons he feels refreshed and invigorated with the Steelers, who signed him last month as a backup running back. And one of the reasons he already has made several big plays for his new team, despite limited appearances.

"This is a different atmosphere," Davenport said. "Green Bay, you really had to treat it like a job, like a job-job, like working at Taco Bell, not like a career job. Here, I don't see that. I don't get that feeling. You're here to play football and you're doing something that you love."

Davenport has been an instant contributor with the Steelers. The first time he touched the ball with his new team, he took a screen pass 32 yards against the San Diego Chargers, stiff-arming strong safety Terrence Kiel along the way, to set up a touchdown.

The first time he touched the ball against the Kansas City Chiefs, Davenport ran 48 yards to the Chiefs' 17 to set up another touchdown, though he was caught from behind by defensive end Jared Allen. He later had an 18-yard run and also scored a 1-yard touchdown on fourth down -- providing hope that, at 255 pounds, he can be the player to replace Jerome Bettis as the short-yardage back.
    rest of article:
    http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/06294/731877-66.stm
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    No offense to anyone that works at Taco Bell of course

If he keeps contributing the way he has so far, and stays healthy, we aren't going to have to worry about making RB a top priority in next years draft or in FA. Sometimes a change of scenery is just what you need to revitalize yourself and jump start your career. So far so good dude !

Tha BEER Guy, Beer HEERRE
    Najeh was predicted to replace Ahman Green as the starting tailback in GB but the opp never arrose when Green was injured he was injured whn Green was not Najeh was fine. Just never panned out. The boy is big is a bruiser and could be a great back in this league. Lets put it this way if he succeeds he is not going to want to stay as 2nd runner. But that is just my opinion.

Its a perfect move for right now and I am very happy he is on the Steelers it is a good situation that he is in. Just needs to stay healthy.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by Steel-x View Post
    Najeh was predicted to replace Ahman Green as the starting tailback in GB but the opp never arrose. when Green was injured he was injured. whn Green was not Najeh was fine. Just never panned out. The boy is big, is a bruiser and could be a great back in this league. Lets put it this way, if he succeeds, he is not going to want to stay as 2nd runner. But, that is just my opinion.

Its a perfect move for right now and I am very happy he is on the Steelers it is a good situation that he is in. Just needs to stay healthy.
    Don't mean to be picky . I was just trying to better understand what you have wrote

I got to agree with you though, Davenports injures just came at a bad time in his career. At this point, He will definitly be replacing Staley, now and in the future. Staley was just a lost cause and a watse of alot of money.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

House of Steel
    I think Staley is gone after this season. Najeh, I hope he stays for less money cause he will be rewarded. I think he is going to be a real boost for us for the years to come.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    I think Staley is gone after this season. Najeh, I hope he stays for less money cause he will be rewarded. I think he is going to be a real boost for us for the years to come.
    He definetly Big enough to be a Power Back. I'm just concern about his age. I don't think actually that young.
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Staley is most definately gone next year. He barely played in the preseason and the games he has suited up for us this year he hasn't played. If Najeh & Willie stay healthy I'd be almost willing to be Duce doesnt play at all this year.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    I just looked it up, He's 27, 28 in a few months. So, I guess he's got a few more years left in the tank.
    -unknown

House of Steel
    I would sign Najeh to a 3 year deal. Why don't they just cut Duce to make room for one more active player? What sense is it to keep the Apple Pie eating fool on the sidelines in his pansy looking cheerleader outfit?

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    Quote Originally Posted by House of Steel View Post
    I would sign Najeh to a 3 year deal. Why don't they just cut Duce to make room for one more active player? What sense is it to keep the Apple Pie eating fool on the sidelines in his pansy looking cheerleader outfit?
    It's called Salary Cap HOS. the steelers would take to big of a hit if they cut him now.
    -unknown

Thread Information