Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Key matchups for Cowboys game

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Key matchups for Cowboys game

Our Secondary vs TO, Crayton, & Williams - if there was ever a time that we need McFadden back it's this coming weekend. We're going to need him, Ike, and Deshea to cover these three and our Safeties are going to be in a lot of tackling if the pass rush doesn't get there.

Our LB's and Safeties vs Witten - the dude is such a big target with great hands and hard to bring down. if you match a LB up on it one on one that's a matchup you are going to lose atleast 50% of the time under normal circumstances so they're going to have to watch the middle of the field like a hawk and crowd that intermediate stuff when they can to slow him down. He is Romo's safety valve.

Pass rush vs Cowboys OL - this is where we win or lose the game. If we can get to Romo and pressure him we'll be ok but if we don't and we allow him time to see the field, scramble around at will and just generally don't get pressure it's going to be tough. Our DB's are good but they can't cover everybody all day long so just like always our pass rush has got be on in a big way this weekend. We need Casey, A. Smith, and Kirschke along with the reserves to get a good push and not let Romo get comfortable.

Steeler front 7 vs Barber - Dallas 16th in the league in rushing so they aren't great but they aren't bad either. Barber is banged up but if he gets going he can be hard to stop so the run D needs to stay stoudt and not over persue. If they do that we could end up having another Kevin Faulk thing going down again. I like our chances vs the Dallas run game, they don't scare you too much and we're the best vs the run but still you have to be careful and take care of business.

Our OL vs Cowboys DL - again this is where we win or lose. Ware and his counterparts are big on pressure and they all have good motors so our guys are going to have to be on their game and give Ben time along with opening holes for FWP and Moore. I think our run blocking can open holes once they get going but it's imperative that Ben has time to see the field and I'd like to see him role out alittle more and avoid that pass rush as much as he can.

Hines and Holmes are going to have to get open and not allow themselves to get swallowed up and I think Heath could have a big game. Both he and Spaeth could be the x factors in this one.

Romo isn't afraid of a pass rush but if you get pressure on him he'll make some errants throws and bad decisions so our guys have to keep doing what their doing. If you give him time he'll pick us apart. This should be a great game all around I think and another real good test of where this team is.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 12-01-2008 at 04:56 PM.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Our Secondary vs TO, Crayton, & Williams - if there was ever a time that we need McFadden back it's this coming weekend. We're going to need him, Ike, and Deshea to cover these three and our Safeties are going to be in a lot of tackling if the pass rush doesn't get there.

Our LB's and Safeties vs Witten - the dude is such a big target with great hands and hard to bring down. if you match a LB up on it one on one that's a matchup you are going to lose atleast 50% of the time under normal circumstances so they're going to have to watch the middle of the field like a hawk and crowd that intermediate stuff when they can to slow him down. He is Romo's safety valve.

Pass rush vs Cowboys OL - this is where we win or lose the game. If we can get to Romo and pressure him we'll be ok but if we don't and we allow him time to see the field, scramble around at will and just generally don't get pressure it's going to be tough. Our DB's are good but they can't cover everybody all day long so just like always our pass rush has got be on in a big way this weekend. We need Casey, A. Smith, and Kirschke along with the reserves to get a good push and not let Romo get comfortable.

Steeler front 7 vs Barber - Dallas 16th in the league in rushing so they aren't great but they aren't bad either. Barber is banged up but if he gets going he can be hard to stop so the run D needs to stay stoudt and not over persue. If they do that we could end up having another Kevin Faulk thing going down again. I like our chances vs the Dallas run game, they don't scare you too much and we're the best vs the run but still you have to be careful and take care of business.

Our OL vs Cowboys DL - again this is where we win or lose. Ware and his counterparts are big on pressure and they all have good motors so our guys are going to have to be on their game and give Ben time along with opening holes for FWP and Moore. I think our run blocking can open holes once they get going but it's imperative that Ben has time to see the field and I'd like to see him role out alittle more and avoid that pass rush as much as he can.

Hines and Holmes are going to have to get open and not allow themselves to get swallowed up and I think Heath could have a big game. Both he and Spaeth could be the x factors in this one.

Romo isn't afraid of a pass rush but if you get pressure on him he'll make some errants throws and bad decisions so our guys have to keep doing what their doing. If you give him time he'll pick us apart. This should be a great game all around I think and another real good test of where this team is.
    A couple big injuries for the Cowboys here early in the week Demarcus Ware who leads the NFL in sacks with 15, and Marion Barber the Cowboys all-pro running back both didnot practice today and are listed as day to day this week after both got pretty banged up in the Cowboys Thanksgiving Day win over the Seattle Seahawks. If both of these guys dont play or do play and arent at 100 percent that is a big big deal I believe in this game because both Ware and Barber are key components for how well the Cowboys perform when they play each week.

--- Added 12/1/2008 at 04:34 PM ---

I agree with you TG McFadden had better be back in there this week if he is ready to go. No more holding him out or saving him. I heard he could have played yesterday against the Pats but luckily we didnt need him. For this game against the Cowboys the Steelers most definitely are going to need him in there. I agree with you also that the Steelers defense is going to have to be able to get to Tony Romo and force him to make mistakes and throw some picks. The Cowboys have too many weapons on offense TO,Witten, and Roy Williams that if you dont get to Romo and he has time to find these guys he will most definitely do it. If you get to Romo he has a very good tendency to fumble a lot so if Harrison and Woodley can get to him like they did Cassel this week you can take it to the bank that Romo is going to cough it up once or twice. The key in this game will be getting the lead early on and playing with it and force the Cowboys to throw the ball everytime they have it. If the Steelers defense can shut down Peyton Manning like they did for most of the game when the Colts played here, I believe they can shut down Romo and this Cowboys offense but it isnt going to be easy that's for sure.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    I have no doubt we have the ability to shut down Romo or atleast keep him from making enough big plays to win, it's just a matter of doing it. I like our chances on defense against anybody in the league. Romo when he is hot is as good as there is but then again so is Eli and Manning and we shut them down enough to win but couldn't pull it off. Now we need to seal the deal. Romo is mobile so that's something we're going to have to be aware of. Most QB's we face are not the most mobile guys in the league so Lebeau is going to have to prepare for that too.

The key like we said is pressure, that will take care of the DB's not having to cover so long on plays and also keep that running game in check.

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Romo is over-rated......I have him on some of my fantasy teams but I still think he is over-rated.....He doesn't like pressure at all which was evident when the Cards put all kinds of heat on Romo......Like 43 mentioned Romo is a fumble machine and our LB's have caused many fumbles this year (especially Harrison).......I'm not worried about the Cowboys at all......Even if McFadden doesn't play again this week.....Now I'm some what concerned about DeMarcus Ware since he one of the best defensive players in the league and will be going against Max Starks but still I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers win this one by double digits.....Call me crazy......

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by Black@Gold Forever32 View Post
    Romo is over-rated......I have him on some of my fantasy teams but I still think he is over-rated.....He doesn't like pressure at all which was evident when the Cards put all kinds of heat on Romo......Like 43 mentioned Romo is a fumble machine and our LB's have caused many fumbles this year (especially Harrison).......I'm not worried about the Cowboys at all......Even if McFadden doesn't play again this week.....Now I'm some what concerned about DeMarcus Ware since he one of the best defensive players in the league and will be going against Max Starks but still I wouldn't be surprised if the Steelers win this one by double digits.....Call me crazy......
    If the Steelers offense and Ben are on this game and playing at a high level and get the lead early on in this game I think the Steelers can win this game I wont say easily but comfortably. Dallas is the kind of football team if you watch them this year like I have if they get behind early in games especially on the road, they tend to start falling apart and you really start to see a lot of dissension on the sidelines especially when it comes to Terrell Owens pissing and moaning. If he is not getting the ball and Romo is getting sacked and fumbling the ball and the line is not protecting Romo I dont see anyway how they are going to recover from that playing on the road here in Pittsburgh facing a hostile crowd that is really going to be into this game. I was at the Giants game and the crowd was awesome and so loud for that game and probably the loudest Heinz Field has been all season for any game. I expect it to be just as loud as it was for the Giants game if not worse this week. And if Dallas is behind in this game there is just no way I can see them overcoming that because they are not a very high character team...

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    If the Steelers offense and Ben are on this game and playing at a high level and get the lead early on in this game I think the Steelers can win this game I wont say easily but comfortably. Dallas is the kind of football team if you watch them this year like I have if they get behind early in games especially on the road, they tend to start falling apart and you really start to see a lot of dissension on the sidelines especially when it comes to Terrell Owens pissing and moaning. If he is not getting the ball and Romo is getting sacked and fumbling the ball and the line is not protecting Romo I dont see anyway how they are going to recover from that playing on the road here in Pittsburgh facing a hostile crowd that is really going to be into this game. I was at the Giants game and the crowd was awesome and so loud for that game and probably the loudest Heinz Field has been all season for any game. I expect it to be just as loud as it was for the Giants game if not worse this week. And if Dallas is behind in this game there is just no way I can see them overcoming that because they are not a very high character team...
    You summed up the Cowboys in a nut shell and I agree.......You know me I'm usually not to over confident and don't get to ahead of myself....But I love the Steelers in this football game....27-17 Steelers......Trust I'm not thinking it will be 35-3 land slide just a game the Steelers will control and win by double digits......

Shouldn't our Oline be better trained to face a 3-4 d then the Giants/Eagles/Colts 4-3?
    We're Raven Haters, Ring Takers Shame Makers
    Don't you mess with Steelers D

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Considering our offense was able to move the ball and our D was able to stick it to Belichick who also runs a 34 and runs it as good as anyone next to Lebeau we are certainly well trained enough to handle anything Dallas can throw at us in terms of scheme and what not. It's just a matter of execution in all 3 phases. If this is a close game in the 2nd half I look for the special teams to maybe make another big play; some type of turnover, pinning the dallas offense deep, etc.

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Considering our offense was able to move the ball and our D was able to stick it to Belichick who also runs a 34 and runs it as good as anyone next to Lebeau we are certainly well trained enough to handle anything Dallas can throw at us in terms of scheme and what not. It's just a matter of execution in all 3 phases. If this is a close game in the 2nd half I look for the special teams to maybe make another big play; some type of turnover, pinning the dallas offense deep, etc.
    You might be right here again TG with the Special Teams stepping it up again and making a huge play in the game that makes the difference between turning the game one way or another. This game with the Cowboys this week is a lot like the Colts and Giants game that were played here in a lot of ways. The Steelers are good enough on defense to hold the Cowboys in check on offense, but much like the Giants game and especially the Colts game if the Steelers have the Cowboys on the ropes in this game much like I believe they will at some point, and they dont put the game away when they get the chance and Ben throws a couple interceptions or the offense has to keep settling for 3 instead of putting up 7 in the red zone, then this Cowboys offense is good enough if you give them some life that at some point they will come back and bite you. We have seen Tony Romo in his career many times comeback late in the 4th quarter if he is given some life and an opportunity to do so and win many games.

So the bottom line with this game is the Steelers had better put the Cowboys away in this game unlike the games with the Colts and Giants or the same exact thing is going to happen in this game I believe that happened in those games. This Cowboys team is not great but they are a good enough football team that if you let them hang around and let them off the hook they are going to make you pay at some point. The Steelers just need to make sure that they dont put themselves in that position again...

Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post

I'm a Cowboy fan so yea I know i'm probably not welcomed around these parts but i'm not here to start any trouble just to talk football. And I may have to disagree with you a bit on this. Cowboys have lost 4 games. Once to the Giants which was a blow out simply because we due to bad field position by our quarterbacks Bollinger and Brad Johnson, another loss was to the Rams.....which I won't give sole responsbility to Brad for that but overall just a horrible game by both teams.

But the other 2 losses where to the Redskins where we came back after a dreadful 3 quarters to where we came just a catch away on a onside kick to possibly winning that game. The Cardinals game is where we also fought back to go into OT where Romo got hurt. So I disagree with you about us folding the tent. This team has a lot of fight in them. I don't expect a shootout this week though. A injured Romo was good for 3 td's and 300 yards a game. I think in Pittsburgh a healthier Romo with the splint off his pinky is going to struggle. I don't think he's faced such weather conditions to date. We're going to have to rely on the defense to win this. I expect a lot of blitzing from Ken Hamlin and Bradie James. Ware, Spencer and Ellis are going to all attack as well.

Thread Information