Thread: AFC North race could be decided as early as next week ands here is why...

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    jaguars-hater

AFC North race could be decided as early as next week ands here is why...

The Steelers really after this win today are in great position to at the very least nail down that number 2 seed in the AFC over the Jets and get the bye week. Now I know a lot of people will say well we havent even won the AFC North yet and Baltimore is only a game behind us, which is true but I still dont see the Ravens winning this division. Next week I believe will decide the AFC North title if a few things should happen even before the game with Baltimore in 2 weeks and here is why. If the Steelers beat the Cowboys here and the Ravens should lose to the Redskins who are going to be absolutely desperate for a win to stay alive in the NFC playoff race, it will put the Steelers 2 games up on the Ravens in the standings and if that happens this race is over even if the Ravens would end up beating the Steelers a week later in Baltimore and here is why. If the Steelers are up 2 games on the Ravens on December 14th at 10-3 to the Ravens 8-5 even if they lose they would still be a game up on them at 10-4 to the Ravens 9-5. Here is the wildcard though in the schedule for Baltimore which takes place the following week. There is no way in hell that Baltimore is going into Dallas the following week in the final game ever at Texas Stadium and winning down there it just isnt going to happen. So a loss there which will definitely happen puts Baltimore at 9-6 and even if the Steelers should happen to lose to Tennessee the same week and fall to 10-5 they still will have a one game lead going into the last game of the season. And that game is with the Browns here at Heinz Field who will now have Ken Dorsey as their starting QB for the remainder of the season which is definitely a game the Steelers will win and finish the year out at 11-5 to the Ravens 10-6.

So one more time this AFC North race is completely over next week no matter what happens in that Baltimore Steelers game in 2 weeks if the Steelers beat the Cowboys and the Redskins beat the Ravens. Because the Ravens arent winning in Dallas the following week, and all the Steelers would have to do to win the North if they should lose to Baltimore in 2 weeks is beat the Browns here the last week and finish 11-5. And btw I dont think the Ravens and their pathetic offense are going to beat the Steelers in 2 weeks anyway no matter what happens next week. But I am just saying should all of that happen like I said next week it will be over.

As for the number 2 seed today the Jets are really going to have a hard time catching the Steelers now in terms of trying to win a tiebraker over them for that number 2 seed. I say this because the Jets at 8-4 now overall now have 4 AFC losses to the Steelers 1. The worst the Steelers can finish in the AFC now after their win in New England today is 8-4 and the best the Jets can finish in the AFC is 8-4. They are just going to have a very tough time catching the Steelers for that number 2 seed. The Broncos really did the Steelers a huge favor today by beating the Jets in New York. They really made the Steelers path to getting the bye week in the playoffs which I believe is so key for this Steelers teams chances of making it to the Super Bowl that much more attainable.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Having a solid hold on the #2 seed right now is huge and I agree next week is all the difference we'll need if we win and the Ravens lose. Right now though Dallas is a tough opponent and they play D as well as anybody right now. Speaking of D we're going to be tested next week even though Barber is banged up so we'll see how do against us.

Honestly though so far we've weathered this tough schedule fairly well and finally were able to pull off a win against a good opponent this week. I don't think the Skins will be able to be Baltimore though but we'll see. They are going to key on Portis and if they shut him down it's going to be a long game for Campbell and that offense.

Honestly Im not sure the scenario for next week is going to play out in our favor that much even if we win for that simple reason of how well the Ratbird defense is playing now against a failing Redskin team. Anything is possible though, look at the Eagles and Cards game. Im still thinking this race is going to be decided on 12/14 in Baltimore.

My Mood
    jaguars-hater
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Having a solid hold on the #2 seed right now is huge and I agree next week is all the difference we'll need if we win and the Ravens lose. Right now though Dallas is a tough opponent and they play D as well as anybody right now. Speaking of D we're going to be tested next week even though Barber is banged up so we'll see how do against us.

Honestly though so far we've weathered this tough schedule fairly well and finally were able to pull off a win against a good opponent this week. I don't think the Skins will be able to be Baltimore though but we'll see. They are going to key on Portis and if they shut him down it's going to be a long game for Campbell and that offense.

Honestly Im not sure the scenario for next week is going to play out in our favor that much even if we win for that simple reason of how well the Ratbird defense is playing now against a failing Redskin team. Anything is possible though, look at the Eagles and Cards game. Im still thinking this race is going to be decided on 12/14 in Baltimore.
    We shall see how things go with the games next week with the Steelers and Cowboys and Skins and Ravens. The Ravens had problems today scoring in this game with the Bengals early on before it got out of hand in the 2nd half, and Cincy is just a complete mess on offense and cant do anything with Fitzpatrick at QB. I think the Skins have enough weapons on offense, and have a good enough defense which could shut down Flacco and make him make some mistakes to go down to Baltimore and beat the Ravens in a very close game. Plus, as I said the Redskins will be completely desperate and need to win this game to keep their playoff hopes alive in the NFC. When teams are desperate you tend to get their best effort and that is what I expect we will see from the Redskins next week down in Baltimore.

My Mood
    Addicted
    9-3 with the toughest schedule in the N.F.L isn't bad, i said they would finish 12-4 an if we stay healthy i still say we go 12-4,It's all in our hands now

My Mood
    Addicted
    Quote Originally Posted by 60 Minute Man View Post
    9-3 with the toughest schedule in the N.F.L isn't bad, i said they would finish 12-4 an if we stay healthy i still say we go 12-4,It's all in our hands now
    Most people thought they couldn't handle the schedule, but they are proving the wrong very nicely.

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Troyisabeast_43 View Post
    We shall see how things go with the games next week with the Steelers and Cowboys and Skins and Ravens. The Ravens had problems today scoring in this game with the Bengals early on before it got out of hand in the 2nd half, and Cincy is just a complete mess on offense and cant do anything with Fitzpatrick at QB. I think the Skins have enough weapons on offense, and have a good enough defense which could shut down Flacco and make him make some mistakes to go down to Baltimore and beat the Ravens in a very close game. Plus, as I said the Redskins will be completely desperate and need to win this game to keep their playoff hopes alive in the NFC. When teams are desperate you tend to get their best effort and that is what I expect we will see from the Redskins next week down in Baltimore.
    Trust me I expect the Skins to give the Ratbirds their best effort; they're rivals being so close to each other and I suspect they'll feed Portis the ball regardless and Im hoping they have success. I don't doubt the Skins can slow down Flacco and keep them in check, their D is playing well but my thing is will they be on the field too long and then finally break down in the 2nd half. I hope not and Im pulling for the Skins big time of course. That would be huge if they can pull off the win.

All long as we keep taking care of business on our end and continue winning then it won't matter what happens but man I'd sure like to have that 2 game lead back in the division heading into the final weeks.

Spectator
    My Mood
    Happy
    If we can beat both Dallas and Ratbirds, I wouldn't even mind if we started Dennis Dixon against the Browns just to give him some practice and feel for the game. Get him hungry for his new role next season backing up Ben....
    "It is hard to wait around for something that you know may never happen;but it's even harder to let go when it's everything you want"
    -unknown

SA's Bouncer
    My Mood
    Addicted
    Here in the past 2-3 weeks, a lot of weird things have happened, granted we beat a good Patsies team, but we can't let that go to our heads and come out flat against the Cowgirls. One game at a time ladies and gentlemen. This is the right time to be getting on a hot streak getting towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.

If you don’t stand behind our troops.....Please feel free to stand in front of them!!!

"Give me a 6 pack, half hour of rest and lets go play them again....We can beat them."
    --Jack Lambert

"They say that when you're the champs, everybody will try to beat you. Well, I'm glad we're the champs, so bring 'em on, bring 'em all on. If we die, we ain't gonna die running. It's gonna be a fight."
    --Joe Greene

Quote Originally Posted by DIESELMAN View Post
    Here in the past 2-3 weeks, a lot of weird things have happened, granted we beat a good Patsies team, but we can't let that go to our heads and come out flat against the Cowgirls. One game at a time ladies and gentlemen. This is the right time to be getting on a hot streak getting towards the end of the season and into the playoffs.
    This team should take pride in trying to go 2-2 VS. the NFCE this season... esp. since its prob. gonna be either Dallas or NYG in the SB. It should be business as usual for the D this week with the focus on pulling this offense together. The o has played increasingly better over the past 3 weeks. Hopefully that can continue because this is where we COMPLETELY fell apart last season!

If we win and the Ravens lose this week, game over. The divison title is ours. I think we have the second spot in the AFC locked up too. I think we will finish 12-4. I don't see TN losing three games out of four, so we will be going into the playoffs as the second seed if all goes well.
    Proud fan of Dale Earnhardt Jr., Pittsburgh Steelers, Duke Bluedevils, and San Antonio Spurs.

Thread Information