Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Special Teams are finally becoming "special" in a good way

Bookmark and Share
    My Mood
    Curmudgeon

Special Teams are finally becoming "special" in a good way

That's what it needs to be and that's what it needs to stay at. No more of this BS Carey Davis doing nothing or Davenport running up and falling down. Our return game finally is starting to come to life with those 2 back there. I know I don't always like having a starting WR doing the punt returns but the ST is too important to not have a quality returner back there.

Keyaron Fox recovering that fumble and the coverage units just not allowing any returners to do anything this year is just such a fun thing to watch.
    Last edited by BlitzburghRockCity; 11-30-2008 at 09:39 PM.

I like Russel on the kickoffs... he has some power and can knock dudes backwards and pick up those few extra yards.

Holmes is a play maker when given the chance. You knew it was bound to happen sooner or later...

My Mood
    Curmudgeon
    Im telling ya if I have to see Davis back there returning kicks any more I'm going to throw a fit..LOL. Russel runs so hard and he's not afraid to drag tacklers for 5 more yds and wonder of all wonders actually break a tackle.

Our Coverage units are just outstanding this year, what a 180 degree turnaround from last year.

My Mood
    Horny
    me and glenn were just talking about this!! it seems like for a little bit there that tomlin was just pointing at some players and saying why don't you give it a try!! lol

Russell is a solid returner, I loved the huge block he got as well, I think it was on the second return and bolted down the sideline. He has been hooking up great field position, defenatley keep him back there! I think its just a matter of time before we see him take it all the way...and i cant even remember the last time I saw the Steelers return one to the house, I think it boosts the energy of a team when those go down

Gold Standard
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    That's what it needs to be and that's what it needs to stay at. No more of this BS Carey Davis doing nothing or Davenport running up and falling down. Our return game finally is starting to come to life with those 2 back there. I know I don't always like having a starting WR doing the punt returns but the ST is too important to not have a quality returner back there.

Keyaron Fox recovering that fumble and the coverage units just not allowing any returners to do anything this year is just such a fun thing to watch.

Couldn't agree more. Had to disagree with a thread I posted to about a week ago where some people were bashing our ST. Other than our struggles getting punts longer than 30 yards I have loved our kick coverage units. I can remember not so long ago when I held my breath on punts and kickoffs. We are swarming to the ball and making sure tackles on our coverage teams. Hell, we even have a punt and field goal block. When is the last time we had both of those in a season?
    http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/home/daily/site_082009/home.parcoltop11.35513.ImageFile.jpg

SA's #1 Pirates Fan Tetris Champion Black@Gold Forever32's Avatar
    My Mood
    Mad
    I wouldn't say our special teams are special....But this year they finally are doing their job/part for this football team.....The coverage units on both kick off and punt returns have been vastly improved......Jeff "Skippy" Reed is solid with his field goals and has done a better job on his kick offs......It sucks not have D-Sep but Berger is alright (much better then that clown Ernster).....We still need work on our kick returns and punt returns....But Russell is an upgrade over anybody else that his kick returned this year....But that is not saying much....Holmes has done alright when he has returned punt....The blocking could be much better on these units to set up the return men especially Holmes.......Like said the special teams are finally doing their jobs which in years past they didn't and they did hurt this football.........

My Mood
    Ratbirds
    i'm not impressed with russell at all, i still can't figure out why we can't find someone out there, not these slow *** running backs, sure russell seems great when you are comparing him to dookie, but he is far from being a good return man.................. but i do like the fact that our coverage teams are pretty badass this year........... and i wish holmes did punt and kick off returns, yeah yeah, he's a starting wr....... but ben is stupid and doesn't know how to use him as much as he should anyway, so might as well let holmes go out there and get some work in cause ben is never gonna be consistent enough to make holmes the badass that he is
    "SA, it's more than a FEVER it's an ADDICTION" -BlacknGold Bleeder

My Mood
    Clowns
    Quote Originally Posted by TOP GUN View Post
    Im telling ya if I have to see Davis back there returning kicks any more I'm going to throw a fit..LOL. Russel runs so hard and he's not afraid to drag tacklers for 5 more yds and wonder of all wonders actually break a tackle.

Our Coverage units are just outstanding this year, what a 180 degree turnaround from last year.
    Why is Carey Davis even on this team we need to start asking ourselves?? This guy adds nothing and has not contributed one bit to this team or this offenses success this season. They have Sean McCugh who can be used as a fullback and appears to be a much better blocker and player then Carey Davis. As for the Special Teams I agree with you TG it has been outstanding this season. I know you and I talked about a big play on Special Teams earlier this week on the board in this game making the difference and it turns out the fumble on the kickoff which lead to the Steelers taking a 20-10 lead and eventually taking the game over from there was absolutely huge. This Steelers defense on the road this year has just been lights out. They are now 6-1 on the road and have gotten a great effort each time from the defense on the road.

My Mood
    Addicted
    Russell an the boys are taking care of businessOur Special Teams have been special all year also just like our Defense

Thread Information